BCAL
Topic Author

Ryanair And BAA Dispute Over Stansted

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:11 pm

A few weeks back Ryanair and BAA were in dispute over landing charges at Stansted with BAA threatening to issue a writ unless Ryanair coughed up with the unpaid fees. There was talk from Ryanair of pulling out of Stansted and new routes were announced from Luton but since then I have heard nothing further and I have not seen anything more in the news. Was the dispute settled? Who was the winner or were there concessions from both sides?

[Edited 2004-09-01 10:44:01]
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

wgw2707

RE: Ryanair And BAA Dispute Over Stanstead

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:28 pm

Ha! Typical Ryanair! They're loaded with cash but refuse to pay landing fees at one of their major hubs. Unbelievable corporate behavior...

-WGW2707

teva

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:31 pm

I didn't know about this one, but I have seen some articles recently about the construction of a new runway in STN.
Ryanair opposes any increase in the airport fees to finance the runway.
That means the only option for BAA would be to increase the fees in LHR and Gatwick...
In other words, O'leary wants BA and other major airlines to finance HIS runway at STN.... And after that, call the same airlines paying for him the "high fare" airlines.
Of course, all the operators of the major London airports oppse this change.
Maybe the dispute you mention is an episode of this battle
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

trent900

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:38 pm

Hi all,

I think they're still battling this out. SGO, who is a handling agent at Stansted currently deal with the Buzz contract, will be moving to Luton early next year I've heard. They have approx. 30 flights a day. Swissport whom I work for deal with the main contract at Stansted and we have about 130 flights a day. If Ryanair did decide to move from Stansted, where would they go??

By the why, its STANSTED not STANSTEAD.

Trent.

mikedlayer

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:41 pm

I don't think Luton would be able to handle the Ryanair fleet if it were to move over from Stansted, it would have too many other charter airlines and easyJet's using the gates.

Why don't Ryanair just cough up the cash? They obviously have it they make enough profit don't they? (I wonder how many people take up their flights for 1p offer? lol)

Mike

LHR27C

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:52 pm

Ryanair have already announced that further expansion of their London services will be at LTN, supposedly due to a lack of slots at STN - is it really that full up? However, I don't think you'll see them moving their entire operation. LTN would be unable to support it and Ryanair are very well established at STN, Satellite 3 was built exclusively for them. Also STN's proposed second runway which has been endorsed by the government is an incentive for Ryanair, who were very positive about the decision at the time. I agree that they should be prepared to help fund it by paying the increased fees at STN.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

BestWestern

RE: Ryanair And BAA Dispute Over Stansted

Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:02 pm

Ryanair's profitable at such low fares because it doesnt pay market price for anything.

IF BAA expect FR to pay market price, expect them to look elsewhere for growth opportunities. Southend and Luton come to mind, and perhaps Cambridge airports may divide FR's capacity between them.

I have a feeling that FR needs STN, and BAA know that. realistically FR cant exit stansted completely, but wont give up without a fight. They have done similar things at DUB, MAN, BHX and LBA, and in some cases the airport capitulates. In others (MAN) the airline gives in.

STN... who knows!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos