ourboeing

Ever Felt: You Know More Aviation Than An Aviator

Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:43 am

Has anyone ever had a conversation with a pilot and felt that you know more about airplanes that he/she does?

I have and as a matter of fact, a couple of times. The first time happened to be when I lives in PHX and was flying from PHX to ORD and this gentleman, in his 20's, sitting next to me started a conversation before we pushed back from the gate. He introduced himself and said that he was a FedEx pilot and being an enthusiast, I got interested. In the meantime, the our plane went passed the FedEx facility and he pointed his Cessna to me and was all excited. I then mentioned the HP 757 we were on and the RR engines on it and he had no clue. He said that he didn't know if we were on a 757.

The second time was at Hong Kong Airport. I was talking to a pilot who was waiting for his flight to Taipai and was supposed to fly back a chartered Learjet. He had good knowledge about business jets but when we started talking about heavies, he got very quiet.

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

OURBOEING

planemaker

RE: Ever Felt: You Know More Aviation Than An Aviator

Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:50 am

It is a fairly common occurance throughout aviation. I know that it is pretty hard for an enthusiast to fathom but just because someone works in the industry it doesn't mean that aviation is their "hobby."  Smile
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

Ralgha

Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:53 am

Hate to burst your bubble, but knowing what kind of engines an airplane has doesn't mean anything to a pilot unless they fly that airplane.

They'll know a lot more than you about the airplanes they fly, and a lot more about the system. Airplane specifics just don't mean squat unless it's an airplane you fly.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

DeltaWings

Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:55 am

I remember flying from ZRH to LHR on a BA 767-300. I after the flight got in a conversation with a flight atendant. I asked, if she ever flew on a 767-200. She replied, that she had, but preffered the 767-300 over the 767-200 and the...............767-100.  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:55 am

One assumes that pilots decided on that career because they were interested in aviation... and more than just a passing interest. I can't imagine someone paying so much money to train without being quite fascinated.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

EnoreFilho

RE: Ever Felt: You Know More Aviation Than An Avia

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:07 am

These "pilots" usually are not really pilots. I met one of them some time ago... They just read something or talk with one pilot, and then they imagine the "status" that you can have saying that you are a pilot. So, they try to show something that they are not, just to impress guys and to seduce women!!!!  Smile

P.S.: This guy i met had even a false company ID (to prove his truth...).'.
Member of the all mighty Canudos Air Force!!!!

acidradio
Crew

RE: Ever Felt: You Know More Aviation Than An Avia

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:11 am

You never know - the guy claiming to be a "FedEx pilot" may not really be a pilot and may just be saying that he is. A friend of mine went to a bar one night and listened to some guy ramble on to some girl how he was a pilot for Delta. So he mentioned that he was an airline employee too. This guy claimed to fly L1011's - at least 2 yrs after DL had gotten rid of the L1011! He claimed to have flown his DL L1011 into MSP that night - a destination that probably never existed for DL with the L1011 in any recent memory, oh and 2 yrs after DL had stopped flying the L1011 in the first place. He went on to talk about how his L1011 had PW engines on it - anyone who actually FLEW the L1011 would know that it only came with RR RB211's. And apparently his L1011 had a 2-man flight deck. My friend decided to leave this guy alone as if he had to fabricate a story like this to try to pick up this girl, he needed all the help he could get.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

RduBE90Pilot

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:12 am

As a corporate pilot I do have a genuine interest in aviation. However, I do it for a living and you will find that many of us who do don't give $.02 about the ins and outs of every AC out there. If you ask me about the planes I fly or have flown great, I'll fill you in on what you want to know. If it's a case of chatting while on a commercial flight about that specific AC, then I may come across as a "unknowledgeable" pilot but then again, why would I know everything about all airplanes.

I could spout off some basic IT terms and know what I'm talking about but does that make me a more knowledgeable IT guru than someone in the industry who does it full time?

Eric

aerobalance

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:20 am

I'm a GA pilot and I work in the aviation industry, yet while flying in So-California airspace I still have trouble identifying all the various types of aircraft when notified by ATC on traffic call outs.............humbling
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AA767400

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:44 am

All the time! The Flight Attendants I work with, always say such ridiculous things. One time this F/A told me that SA)">DL has a large fleet of A340s. I said no, and that they never had a A340s ever. She looked at me and said that she knows what she is taking about.  Laugh out loud

Once I had a SA)">NW F/A on board, And said to me how SA)">AA has many more DC9s then SA)">NW. Now, I know that the S80 is also under DC9-81, and DC9-82. I told her it was a MD-80, and that it was not a DC-9. But, she said other wise.

The most common error in most Cabin Crew, Pilots and Attendants. Is that they seem to have flown on a airline that never flew, nor does presently fly to a certain destination. Like the Pilot how told me he took SA)">AA to CPT, non-stop from MIA. I said to him it was SA. He said it was not, and that it was a SA)">AA indeed. Can't argue with a pilot.
"The low fares airline."

flyf15

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:50 am

The thing is though, all the stuff you guys mention.....aircraft types, liveries, routes....none of that is really of any importance to pilots or other industry professionals. There is such a massive amount in aviation that nobody can know it all or can be interested in it all, so these professionals must concentrate on the things that are part of their job. Airline pilots defiantely have more knowledge to things aviation related than probably all of the people (non-pilots) who have responded to this thread put together, but it is knowledge about things that are actually important.

nonrvsmdmf

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:53 am

Occasionally we get some interesting questions from pilots.

The one that stumps me is when they ask what "trop" is on
the flight plan. When I have to explain to a pilot what the
tropopause is, I have to wonder.
I did not forget...I just misplaced the thought...

brettbrett21

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:03 am

Acidradio

Big deal...when talking to girls in clubs I've been just about everything from aircraft engineer to trainee pilot!!

Brett  Big grin
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

bennett123

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:24 am

I think that there are a number of basic points here;

Firstly, no man or woman can be an expert on all aspects of aviation. Although you would expect someone who makes his career in a certain field to have a good general knowledge.

Secondly, a lot of people BS. I am an astronaut, (in my dreams). Just some people let the dreams take over, or see some advantage in lying.

Finally, there are some real goons out there. I know in my own business that people sometimes say things that make you wince. This is either that they are saying something that is clearly wrong, or that they try to talk their way out of corner by digging themselves a deeper hole.

JeffDCA

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:14 am

Pe@rson,

One assumes that pilots decided on that career because they were interested in aviation... and more than just a passing interest. I can't imagine someone paying so much money to train without being quite fascinated.

You'd be surprised! I have come across some fully qualified pilots who can't tell a 777 from an A330.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

bennett123

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:20 am

Jeff

I hope that they are not A330 or 777 pilots.

That would be worrying.

JeffDCA

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:33 am

Not yet  Big grin

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

Starlionblue

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:38 am

I could spout off some basic IT terms and know what I'm talking about but does that make me a more knowledgeable IT guru than someone in the industry who does it full time?

I work in the IT industry but I'm pretty clueless about a lot of it. Just like IT, aviation is a big field and nobody knows it all.

I am an astronaut, (in my dreams).

***gasp*** You're not? And my friend told me she wanted your number Big grin

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

mandala499

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:11 am

Tried to ever explain what EPR is to a pilot who never flew anything other than the 733/4/5?

After he had a discussion with me on EPR, he was on a groundstop, stepped out of his plane, went into a 732 parked next to his 733, talked to his flight academy classmate who was the captain for that 732 and asked... "I got a friend who talked to me about EPR last night... he said U got them on the 732."
His friend said... "Where the hell have you been?"
That night my friend called me back and said... "After 5000hrs, you still learn new things about your job!"

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

citationjet

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:43 am

I am a GA pilot, with an interest in airplanes and work for Cessna. However the aviation industry has many aspects and airplanes are highly technical products. I couldn't tell you a Cessna 180 from a 185, or which engines are on a Model 425 off the top of my head.
People within the industry tend to specialize in a specific areas such as engineering (design, analysis, test), marketing, manufacturing, etc. Even within engineering, the various technical disciplines may know very little about other disciplines.

The topic reminds me of a AA 767 first officer I know. He told me once that he was flying the 767, but was qualified in both the 767 and 757 via simulators. I asked him how he liked the 757. He said he had never flown one, and had never even been in one as a passenger. Yet he was fully qualified to fly one. Imagine talking to a pilot who is fully qualified to fly a 757, yet has never stepped foot inside the cabin.
Would you believe him?
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Starlionblue

Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:04 am

Sure I would believe him. Many F/Os do their first flight in a new type in the right seat in revenue service. Simulators are pretty good nowadays.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

wing

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:51 am

Citationjet,
I am a 737-400/800 pilot.After I finished the ground school and the simulator for -400 I was called by the chief pilot and told that I've been selected for the -800(which was added new to the fleet back in 2001) so I went back ground school to take the differences training and the differences simulator I was assigned to fly -800 for the next 2 months. After that I finally-happily-saw that my flight that day was with a -400.If someone ever asked to compare the two during that period,my answer would be the same "I have never flown one"

Mandala499,
I don't want to sound difficult here but the A pilot with 5000 + hours of B737 flight should have at least heard what EPR is.I haven't flown anything other than 7374/800 which uses N1 as engine indications and I have never used an EPR indicated engine but atleast I "heard" about it.And I don't have 5000 hours yet  Smile

For the original poster,ourboeing;

I don't know what picture you have in mind about an airline pilot but we are not supposed to know anything other than we are required to.I am not a 757 pilot so I don't care what type of engines it has,most others doesn't care either.I learned last year what ECAM is from one of my buddy who flies the A321,who cares, my airplane doesn't have one anyway.Anything other than I am supposed to know is my personal interest and I shouldn't be judged if I don't know.

I really didn't get what you are trying to achieve when you know the engine type of 757 better than a FedEx pilot?Or you know heavies more than a corporate pilot?What is your point here?

follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

SleepyFlyBoy

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:04 am

dude... sounds like someone just wanted to get off on "knowing" more then a pilot. ok so for example if you were flying on a delta B-757 and were seated next to a dead heading pilot who was going back home after work do you really think you would know more then him? like...

pressure in the hydraluic systems? norm, high, low fuel flow indications? oil quantity required to make the annunciators eluminate? voltage in the electrical systems? amperes from the batteries? the percentage of bypass in that make/model jet? the type of fly-by-wire system used? how many computers run the F_B_W system and which one will be used as the backup? which computer feeds what instruments? which computer when being used as a back up will feed what instruments? if the a/c has a radar altimeter? at what altitudes will the GPWS sound or the distance you have between a TCAS target? the type, style, operation of the landing gear system? the size, type, and inflation of the tires?

the pilot of any aircraft will know that aircraft like the back of his/her hand. if you are talking to a 757 pilot deadheading on a 737... he wont know the plane but he would still know "his" plane. we dont go to a grueling class when we are hired for fun.... we actually have to know that ish
kick the tires and light the fires

Tasha

Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:28 pm

I have to say that I totally love this thread!!  Big thumbs up Yes I do!! I love to use that British expression "chatted-up" Big grin I got "chatted-up" by this guy while traveling from Frankfurt to Berlin via DB's ICE train. He told me that he is a f/o for Lufthansa and flies the DC10. Having an avid interest in aviation I listened a bit closer as he told me that he loves the power of those two large engines and that it's one of the new models just a year old.

I really hated to do it. I guess I wasn't being too ladylike either actually at the time. But I just burst out laughing, and couldn't control myself... and was barely able to tell him that the DC10 has three engines and has been out of production for over a decade, and that I don't believe LH uses the DC10 at all anymore even in its cargo operations, all during fits of laughter. He turned all colors of red and fled the car. I felt so bad afterwards though, as he was really a sweet guy I think, and I wanted to apologize to him because I was rather rude. Unfortunately, I didn't see him again.

I will never, ever claim that I will know more than a pilot about aircraft, aviation, or flying in general - but I will say that I know more than your typical blonde and can almost immediately spot guys that try to impress me by saying that they are pilots when they are not. My Father is a pilot, and I have been around pilots all my life. They have a certain way of speaking - especially concerning aviation - which is familiar. I would much rather talk to someone who is truthful about his profession: If your a cook, banker, or diesel mechanic - then say so; don't tell me your a pilot.

Tasha  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2004-09-04 05:30:01]

hmmmm...

Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:19 pm

There are more phonies out there, and in here, claiming to be pilots than one can shake a stick at. I kid you not. I have been here since the beginning, and I have come across them again and again. Out there, you will come across them, too. Some of the phony pilots have done their homework. Many have not bothered.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

CrossChecked

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:54 pm

One assumes that pilots decided on that career because they were interested in aviation

Yeah! £100k + a year in the bank for working two days a week and seeing the world on the company dime has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Smile
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

ourboeing

Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:24 am

Well..Well!! This thread has become very interesting. I have been interested in aviation since I was a child but didn't really get into it till I was about 25. I spend a lot of time keeping myself updated with the latest and since I work very close to Andrews AFB, my co-workers always turn to me if they can't identify an aircraft..and IT FEELS GOOD Smile)
I did not start this thread in an effort to generalize on each and every aviator out there. I have also talked to a lot of pilots who know a whole lot about every aircraft there is. As a matter of fact I have a cousin who is a commercial A320 pilot who happen to know a whole lot about every airliner out there.
I just want to say that the members of this forum, aviators or enthusiasts, happen to know a whole lot about aviation and other aspects of the field than anyone else and YES this time I am generalizing about all of us!!

Cheers

OURBOEING

JAXpax

Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:38 am

Just because you know something you think is basic in aviation that somebody in the industry doesn't know doesn't mean that 1.) it's important to everybody in aviation, 2.) it's important at all, 3.) you know more about aviation than they do.

Knowing trivia like what kind of engines some aircraft has or how many seats Orient Thai has in their B747 or something else essentially irrelevant doesn't make you anymore knowledgeable than somebody in the industry, who probably knows many things you find irrelevant, like being able to draw the electrical system of that Cessna Caravan, knowing all the circuit breakers on their jet's overhead panel and behind the seats, being able to fly that airplane period.

I've gotten rides from pilots at a regional arm of a major airline who couldn't name more than one of the three or four other regionals also flying for the same major.

I've had flight sim pilots tell me they know more than I do (I have a commercial certificate) about flying an airplane because they have more hours in microsoft flight sim on that aircraft than I do in the actual airplane.

It works both ways.

DeltaSFO

Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:54 am

Has anyone ever had a conversation with a pilot and felt that you know more about airplanes that he/she does?

Well, let me assure you, you don't.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

ScooterTrash

Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:01 am

It is a question of priorities.

When I was younger, wasn't married and didn't have kids, I could tell all about every airplane on the ramp... And I do mean everything! The dates of production, operators of the type, various sub-series, etc. Now that I have a job flying airplanes full time, I am much more of a specialist. I tell you all you want to know about the Dash 8, some about the ATR. As for the piston twins and singles I used to fly, I don't think I remember how carb heat works.

You get older, get a job flying airplanes and get a family. All of a sudden, how many rivets are on the horizontal stab of a UPS DC8 just isn't important. There is nothing wrong with enthusiasts having this detailed info... I think it is great. But book/internet knowledge is NOT real world experience.

Scooter

Slcpilot

Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:30 am

Here's my great brush with an aviator telling a tale. I was doing line-service at a now defunct airport in the Houston area and a new tennent told neat tales of his Navy flying, CIA adventures, and his recent selection to the Astronaut Corps at the Johnson Space Center.

After I called his bluff on a few facts, he got beligerant (sp?), and stormed off telling me to go fly my "books" and he'd fly "real" aircraft.

A few days later a gentleman stopped by the airport, identified himself as someone associated with security at JSC and asked if the subject had a plane based at our airport. I replied it was not my job to release information about our tennents, but instead suggested he should talk to our airport manager. He then asked if he could rephrase the question, pulling out a sharp 8x10" glossy photo and aksed me if I had seen "this" person recently. I replied, "yup!" and suggested again he talk to the airport manager.

Here's the rest of the story!

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/oberg980608.html

Hey, I spotted the fake!

Fly Safe!

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

backfire

Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:50 am

If you want to talk shop with people who know a shedload about aviation, get chatting with a bunch of aviation journalists. The combined knowledge of the people I work with is scary.

L-188

Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:53 pm

Considering I work as a dispatcher at a charter air carrier.

I DO KNOW MORE THEN THE DAMM PILOTS!!!!

Laugh out loud
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Daedalus

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:05 pm

What really scares me is when pilots cant figure out their outbound fuel load.
At times I'll ask the F/O or Capt., depending on whoever is doing the preflight walkaround if they've signed off on the dispatched fuel load. Many times I get a confused look or sometimes they'll ask if I think the figure sounds right. One time an F/O from a 'legacy' carrier asked me how I put fuel into one tank at a time.......You gotta be kidding me!!!!

IL76TD

Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:55 pm

yea, seriously, no offense, but other than the actual pilots on here, none of you have a clue about "aviation". You all know about airplanes, and airlines, but when it comes to "aviation", ie the actual act of flying, most of you really are clueless. I equate it to IT, i'm sure many of you consider yourself very knowledgeable internet users, able to find anything and run your lives off the internet. But how many of you know java programming, sql language, J2EE environments, and html code, the stuff that makes the internet run.

Sure, you can spout off what type of plane one is at the drop of a hat, but could you rattle off normal egt margins, derated engine takeoff power, stall speed at 20,000 feet, for 1 specific aircraft, without "looking it up" on the internet.

Sure, there are plenty of posers, but to say any of you know more about aviation than a true pilot, co-pilot, or f/e is an insult to their profession, and frankly I think posting that you do proves how little you actually know.

AirframeAS

Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:05 pm

My encounter was not with a pilot but with a so-called F/A. The story goes like this:

I met (not in person, thank god!) on a MSN CityChat room a girl who claimed to be a flight attendant. Her personal profile had her picture on it and all it said in her occupation area was 'flight attendant'. I started becoming friends with her for a little while but at the same time I was very careful. I asked her what company she was employed by, she told me she was with UA based in SEA. I examined her picture that was on her profile very closely and noted a few things out of the ordinary. Her uniform was not of United's, it was a full DL uniform. The cabin did not look anywhere near UA's, it was indeed DL's. The picture in question was off of somebody else's website and I also wondered about copyright infringement, but thats something irrevelant. And I also got suspicious of this was really her or not...in which case I found out it was never her. I also asked her a trick question about where the inflight office for UA was (I know where it is at..) at in SEA and she told me it was at the gates. I later pointed out that it was above the UA ticket counter and she proceeded to tell me that they moved it post 9/11 because of security issues. I finally, at the end, chewed her out and she sent me a really nasty email but stopped short at claiming to be a flight attendant or not. This 'friendship' only lasted a few months unfortunately. She also claimed to do alot of DEN-LAX segments on a 777. Another thing I pointed out that she tends to stay up very late until 2am on messenger while she has to get up for a 4am flight in SEA to get to her station to work a flight out of DEN. How do you do that on short of sleep, staying up late at night knowing you have a long day ahead?? Just flat out weird!!

This story was a very very long one....but hopefully you get the idea...

My point is pretty straight forward as follows:

If your a cook, banker, or diesel mechanic - then say so; don't tell me your a pilot.

Sure, there are plenty of posers, but to say any of you know more about aviation than a true pilot, co-pilot, or f/e is an insult to their profession, and frankly I think posting that you do proves how little you actually know.

Anyone can say they work for an airline as this or that. Talk is cheap. But the thing is if you are going to say stuff like that and cant back it up, you are going to get grilled...like what I did to this girl...I grilled her for lying to me about her profession, blocked her off my MSN Messenger and never heard from her ever again....which Im glad I have not heard from her lately. She couldnt prove anything to me that she does really work for UA. Providing proof is easy, just show your valid, unexpired company ID/SIDA badge. Its that simple.

Finally, there are some real goons out there. I know in my own business that people sometimes say things that make you wince. This is either that they are saying something that is clearly wrong, or that they try to talk their way out of corner by digging themselves a deeper hole.

Thats exactly what happened in my situation. Like I said, anyone can say they are what they really are not. I dont know squat about being a flight attendant but I do have the general knowledge of what it takes to be one and what they do, the uniforms they wear, just to name a few things. But still...lying to someone about something they are not just turns me off. I could care less if someone told me they flip burgers at McDonalds for a living and tell me that they do that honestly, they have found a friend in me. But lying doesnt get you any where beyond that.

Disclaimer: This girl claims to be an A.net member so Im not sure if she is a member or not so therefore I'm not legally responsible for any of the contents of my post should anything get out of hand as a result of this posting. This post was just used to make a point.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

wing

Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:11 am

Considering I work as a dispatcher at a charter air carrier.

I DO KNOW MORE THEN THE DAMM PILOTS!!!!
 Yeah sure

L-188,

Wake up man,you were talking in your sleep again  Laugh out loud

iairallie

Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:30 pm

EnoreFilho, If someone shows you a fake airline ID you should seriously consider reporting that person to the crew, the TSA, FAA, CAA, FBI, local police ...anyone who will listen to you because that is a pretty dang scary breach of security. How do you know that person only uses that ID to impress stupid young ladies? BTW the smart young ladies are not so easily impressed.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

lnglive1011yyz

Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:39 pm

The difficult thing I find is actually NOT being a pilot, or someone in the field, but having read a lot to know "enough".

Standing around spotting with 'armchair' people, who say "oh look at the 737 landing!" and it's *CLEARLY* an A320. And when you try to correct them, they claim you're wrong.

I've had to pull out my camera, take a pic of the reg of the plane as its going by, then pull out my fleet book and SHOW the person it's an A320. hahaha

My oh my.. I agree though, just TELL us you don't know. Don't pretend.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Tasha

Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:54 pm

IL76TD:

"You all know about airplanes, and airlines, but when it comes to "aviation", ie the actual act of flying, most of you really are clueless. I equate it to IT, i'm sure many of you consider yourself very knowledgeable internet users, able to find anything and run your lives off the internet. But how many of you know java programming, sql language, J2EE environments, and html code, the stuff that makes the internet run."

I agree with you fully. I'm not a pilot, nor have I ever claimed to be; or an IT master for that matter. Nothing here, states it better than:

"...but to say any of you know more about aviation than a true pilot, co-pilot, or f/e is an insult to their profession, and frankly I think posting that you do proves how little you actually know"

That wasn't the focus of the thread actually; which is impostors (more or less) - but hey. The fact still remains that true or not, aviation is considered a glamorous business. I have several girlfriends who are flight attendants, and they know very little about strictly aviation - but they know a great deal about aircraft safety features, galleys, and operations.

Like I said before... I can usually spot a guy right off that claims to be a pilot, but in comparison to them, I'm hopelessly lost. Then again, I'm the one that provides the latest fashion, make-up, and modeling tips to them  Laugh out loud

BTW: If anyone sees someone using a fake airport or airline ID (or Government ID) - report it immediately to the proper authorities. While it might be benine in nature, in this day and age you never know.

Tasha  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

wing

Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:03 pm

What really scares me is when pilots cant figure out their outbound fuel load.
At times I'll ask the F/O or Capt., depending on whoever is doing the preflight walkaround if they've signed off on the dispatched fuel load. Many times I get a confused look or sometimes they'll ask if I think the figure sounds right.

Deadalus,

This happens alot of times during everyday ops.Lets say as the FO I am the PNF of the outbound leg,after finishing the inbound paperwork I go out and walkaround the airplane.Most of the time during the inbound cruise we discuss and decide the return fuel but sometimes if we have a weather concern at the destination captains wants the see the latest weather report to decide weather to add some extra or not.

As he waits and checks the weather as the PF,I already happen to be outside of the plane.So when I see the fueller asking me howmuch fuel to fill,I dont say anything.I Only say him to wait until the dispatcher comes with the fuel figures,thats not because I cant calculate the simplest math(you dont have to calculate anything though its already written in the flight plan and you add or subtract some depending on the situation) but the captain is the final authority to decide the fuel and its illegal to give any figures which is not approved by the captain of the flight.So there is nothing to be scared on this occasion.Just wait until the official paperwork comes in.

Only because they work in an airplane that doesnt mean that the FA's should have interest/knowledge about all aviation.Most of the girls want to be FA's because they think that they will look pretty in the uniform,will see all around the world and get paid for it.

L-188

Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:27 pm

Wing, it is part of the job description  Laugh out loud

Actually what we need are a couple of A&P's to pop in and explain to you all about pilots-mechanic relations.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

wing

Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:56 pm

L-188,

Thank you but I don't need any explanations from A&P's.I am interracting them everyday.We conduct our relations based on respect and understanding.I guess you need explanations on pilot-dispatcher relations  Wink/being sarcastic

ourboeing

Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:04 am

DeltaSFO,
I am sure I know more than you do so take the chill pill.

OURBOEING

AA717driver

Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:51 am

I'm sure dispatchers know much more about the "trop" and all that meterology stuff than I do. But all they can do(and they do a great job of it) is give us the best guess based on all the information they have at the time.

If I get to 330 and the temps are way above those predicted, I can't climb any higher and my fuel burn is higher than normal, that's nothing the dispatcher could have known about It then becomes MY problem in that I have to use my judgement as to whether we will will have enough gas to get where we are going or at least have enough to get jerked around by ATC if things get backed up.

As for knowing about a wide variety of topics in the aviation world, that's just dependent on the individual. I know a lot about military and airline type stuff. I have friends who know little airplane stuff and some who know how to tell all the different Citation and Lear models. I also have some friends who could care less about ANY aspect of aviation other than their paycheck.TC
FL450, M.85

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos