NW7E7
Topic Author

AA Responding To DL Pullout In DFW?

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:06 am

Will AA boost service out of DFW because of DL leaving?

Thanks
NW7E7

OPNLguy

RE: AA Responding To DL Pullout In DFW?

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:08 am

They announced 70 new flights within the last couple of weeks, and I'm sure they're probably evaluating if/where they can add more...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

tcttx

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:11 am

DL's pullout of DFW isn't exactly great news for AA, IMO.

Cory6188

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:24 am

Why wouldn't AA want DL to leave? It would give them even more of a monopoly on the market so they can charge even more exorbitant prices for business travelers there.

deltadude8

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:28 am

If I am correct I believe AA wanted DL there because that would keep Air Tran SWA and other LCCs out of DFW...now AirTran Jetblue or others could move in and force AA to lower their prices...making AA not as profitable...

correct me if im wrong

September11

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:39 am

maybe AA will not respond at all ... until then.

Didn't Southwest respond to AA pullout in STL?
Airliners.net of the Future

NW7E7
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:50 am

I dont believe WN would ever move to DFW unless they downsize BNA and decide they want to fly some longer routes out of Dallas. It would cost too much money to relocate to DFW. WN is doing good right now and shouldn't try to fix what is not broken.

Thrust

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am

I suspect AA will seize this opportunity to try to add more service to DFW...they would gladly add more flights to their home base, no doubt. Besides, I suspect AA's cheaper ticket prices will provide an excellent replacement for DL's ever-rising ones....
Fly one thing; Fly it well

FoxBravo

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am

Yes, I would agree with Tcttx and Deltadude8. AA and DL didn't compete very fiercely with each other at DFW, at least not in recent years. They more or less coexisted peacefully and kept low-cost competition out. Now, however, the whole balance has been upset. While I don't expect to see WN at DFW anytime soon (though stranger things have happened), I fully expect AirTran to fill the void and continue its expansion at DFW. Maybe even JetBlue will finally bring some much-needed competition to the NYC-DFW market.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

tcttx

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:45 am

DL's void leaves open many gates that most likely would not be desirable or practial for AA's use. That leaves open the opportunity for any number of new flights/carriers into DFW.

On the other hand, AA's reduction in STL didn't exactly attract a flood of new flights there. Sure, there were some spot flight additions but no large scale expansion by any carrier there.

deltaffindfw

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:55 am

I wonder if the Feds will have some raised eyebrows soon.

Doesn't anyone think it was awfully coincidental that AA announces 70 new flights a day from DFW - many of which are the same cities in which DL flies - then DL announces in a "closely guarded secret" plan that DFW will be eliminated? Me thinks that the not so fierce competitors were talking to each other....

MAH4546

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:03 pm

They announced 70 new flights within the last couple of weeks, and I'm sure they're probably evaluating if/where they can add more...

The new flights were AA's response. They knew that DL was pulling out, it was a very bad kept secret. With the exception of Cabo San Lucas, every destination that AA announced extra flight to was a market Delta served non-stop from DFW.
a.

nomorerjs

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:16 pm

If Bob C. were still CEO of AA, he would be wetting his pants (probably is). More silver mad dogs and white RJs at DFW.

ckfred

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:49 pm

I just wonder if Herb isn't rethinking the idea of starting service out of DFW. WN does operate out of more than one airport in several metropolitan areas: IAH and HOU; LAX, ONT, BUR, and SNA; and OAK and SJC.

One of the reasons that WN didn't go to DFW was that the older 737s didn't have the range to fly long routes. Now, the 737-700s can fly to any WN city from Dallas.

Considering that WN has run AA out of a number of markets, such as the West Coast (as a north-south carrier) and ORD-ISP, WN could give AA a real run for its money to the L.A. airports and Florida.

AA ran DL off ORD-DFW by increasing from 14 to 23 round trips in the mid 90s. If WN started flying MDW-ORD, it would be interesting to see how long AA could continue with the current 18 round trips.

I'm not suggesting that WN leave DAL. But it could start service out of DFW for routes that it can't fly out of DAL. In New York, AA runs mostly service to the West Coast from JFK, while the flights out of EWR and LGA are mostly DFW, ORD, and Florida.

Even B6 has gotten LGA slots. So why can't WN set up shop at DFW?

tcttx

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:13 pm

WN has had 30 years to fly from DFW. Why would they start now? Also, WN has recently announced some short-haul flight reductions as DAL.

aa777jr

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:21 pm

Any new international flights out of DFW for AA because of the DL pullout?

Thanks.

AA777jr
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

aa777flyer

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:27 pm

My guess is B6 and FL will become major players at DFW. My guess is within 18-24 months a combined 200+ flights a day between the two carriers. Remember B6 is getting all those 100 seat RJ's. That will be a PERFECT airplane for a mid continent hub. My guess is my former CEO- Mr. Arpey is shaking in his boots right now. I also would not be suprised to see WN move into DFW. I doubt FL and B6 would be interested in AUS/IAH/CRP/HOU/TUL...and all those little cities. FL and B6 will likely concentrate on the medium haul out of DFW.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

kim777fan

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:41 pm

"I suspect AA will seize this opportunity to try to add more service to DFW...they would gladly add more flights to their home base, no doubt."

Actually, that's a done deal. AA announced flight increases from DFW well before the DL announcement.

"WN has had 30 years to fly from DFW. Why would they start now? Also, WN has recently announced some short-haul flight reductions as DAL."

Depends on if the price was right. Too much competition before from 2 giants in the industry. Now that DL has pulled out, that may change the dynamic. Remember, WN can only fly to Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama from DAL. They would face no such restriction out of DFW.

MAH4546

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:44 pm

My guess is B6 and FL will become major players at DFW. My guess is within 18-24 months a combined 200+ flights a day between the two carriers. Remember B6 is getting all those 100 seat RJ's. That will be a PERFECT airplane for a mid continent hub. My guess is my former CEO- Mr. Arpey is shaking in his boots right now. I also would not be suprised to see WN move into DFW. I doubt FL and B6 would be interested in AUS/IAH/CRP/HOU/TUL...and all those little cities. FL and B6 will likely concentrate on the medium haul out of DFW.

I am sorry, but that is the most ridiculous post on this thread yet.
a.

NW7E7
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:47 pm

Smile Anyway...does anybody know when DL will load these new flights into the computer?

lgbguy

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:57 pm

I could see WN move 1/2 it's flights from DAL to DFW...PLUS you can take a few of the flights that stopped in ELP for Example the flew on to LAX that now DAL-LAX pax must get off in ELP and recheck in for the same plane going to LAX. out of DFW it would be N/S ELP is a weak market anyway..This is not a far off dream look we went to PHL insted of ABE..NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBOADY SAW THAT ONE COMING...lgnotbguy thanks mike:}