N801NW
Topic Author

E-tickets Vs. Ticketless Travel. Any Diff?

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:57 am

Just wondering. Is there any difference between an airline e-ticket and a ticketless reservation? Semantics or substance? Thanks.

trickijedi

RE: E-tickets Vs. Ticketless Travel. Any Diff?

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:01 am

Well there's suppose to be NO difference between travelling with an e-ticket or travelling ticketless. However, some airlines do advise (soemtimes even require) their passengers to print out a copy of their itinerary to be presented during check-in. It defeats the purpose indeed although I find a lesser amount of airlines requiring this nowadays.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

FutureFO

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:30 am

No difference what so ever. Just a wording difference that is all.

Sean from MCO and CVG
I Don't know where I am anymore

bill142

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:31 am

I always find that its a good idea to print out a copy of the E-ticket confirmation. Because really 90% (at a guess) aren't going to be bothered with remembering the booking number.

COEWRNJ

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:09 am

I;ve never needed my booking number when traveling with an e ticket. I just walk up to the machine and stick my credit card in and wah la. Simple as that. However I do always print a copy of my confirmation reciept just incase.

zrs70

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:12 am

Always a good idea to print out the e-receipt. It comes in handy during irregular opps, or if you need to show proof of onward travel (if going internationally).
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

carnoc

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:19 am

Strictly speaking, there is a difference between an E-Ticket & a Paperless Ticket, in particular for international flights.

In a number of states (nations), international passengers are required to have printouts of their E-Ticket confirmations in order to evidence their flight details to other third parties apart from the airline carrier (otherwise a number of third parties have the right to deny a passengers to enter, exit the state, refuse to board the flight etc), and many airlines do still issue what is so-called E-Ticket Confirmation or Proof of Purchase (E-Ticket) for the convenience of the general flying public.

However, a Paperless Ticket is strictly a form of flight booking that has absolutely no need for any paper documents, and E-Ticket normally could be classified as a form of Paperless Ticket for domestic travel, but it is often not seen as a form of purely Paperless Ticket when it comes down to international travel.

Best Regards.

aussie747

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:23 am

Put it this way the biggest difference is when the passenger loses the paper ticket and you have to go through all the s**t of filing a LTI (Lost Ticket Indemnity) form and getting the ticket reissued. At least no one can lose an e ticket.

N801NW
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:30 am

Does WN use Ticketless Travel phrase more because there are no IATA codes/interlining to deal with? I've had CO (005) tix for NW travel (012) where a real airline ticket number makes sense. Maybe I'm just rambling...

I print the reciepts and usually have checked in online anyway...

hawaiian717

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:16 pm

There is a difference, though to the average passenger it is not apparent, and made worse since some airlines like Southwest use the term Ticketless Travel when they are really using E-Tickets.

With an e-ticket, the usual paper ticket data, including a ticket number, is generated, but rather than being printed onto paper, the information is instead loaded into the reservation in what is called the ETR (E-Ticket Record).

Ticketless travel, on the other hand, generates no ticket information at all, all that is needed to the airline is a record that the reservation is paid for. Some travel agencies, particularly those that are highly automated, can't handle this, so instead a paper ticket is generated; the ticket number is inserted into the reservation and the airline accepts that, along with the paper tickets presented by the passenger at check-in, as proof of payment. This is why you will get paper tickets from sites like Cheap Tickets, for ticketless travel airlines like AirTran and Spirit.

Southwest does e-tickets; if you look on your "Ticketless Travel" receipt, you will see a ticket number. Or at least, they did in 2000, the last time I flew WN. Southwest's ARC number is 526.

David / MRY

ETStar

Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:30 pm

For me, the difference is worrying whether or not the paper ticket will make it to my home BEFORE my travel is to start - have almost lost my hair once or twice over it.

Leskova

Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:11 pm

Aussie747, you beat me to it...

Not being able to lose your ticket - and not having the danger of the ticket being lost in the mail between the airline/travel agency and you, that's the biggest difference.

You wouldn't believe how many times each day we get calls along the lines of "the client has lost his ticket, cannot find it anywhere - what can we do?"...

It's a huge annoyance - and quite a lot of people who've had to go through that once will try out an eticket the next time... and most stick with that decision.

I know that I try to get an eticket everytime I fly.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

jasepl

Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:30 pm

I agree... The only real difference is with having to hold on to the paper ticket. Once at the airport though, there's seldom any difference in check-in procedures, time taken etc.

AirframeAS

Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:40 pm

Sometimes the wording between the two confuse alot of pax thinking they dont need to have a ticket or boarding pass if it is ticketless when you actually do need a boarding pass to get through security.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

JGPH1A

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:50 pm

There is a significant difference between Electronic Ticket and Ticketless Travel. Electronic Tickets are just that - you have a ticket, its just electronic instead of paper. It is a cash document, and has a face value. It resides on a server and is accessed at check-in by the check-in system to ensure validity and to mark it as Lifted (then Flown). They can be interlined and can be cleared through IATA or a BSP.

Ticketless travel involves the airline making a direct charge against your credit card, and indicating in the PNR that travel has been paid for (by means of a credit card authorisation code). No coupon, electronic or otherwise is issued, and no ticket is lifted at check in, electronically or otherwise. There is no BSP or IATA involvement.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cragley

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:58 pm

OK from an airline/agent perspective Etickets are great cause in effect 'you can never lose your ticket'. It cuts out the LTI and loads of paper work.
Etickets take 2 seconds to reval and gone are the days of reval stickers.

All you really need for an eticket is the airline reloc or reference and you're set. If there are any problems you give them the reference and they can track it.

International travel can be an ass if the agent at the other end wants proof of onward journey. You can show him your eticket receipt if necessary but I doubt he/she will be able to read it. Generally there are no problems.

hodja

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:49 pm

Here's a slightly subversive question...

What exactly is a *paper ticket* then?

I mean all booking-, reservations-, ticketing- and payment records etc must be stored electronically anyway, right?

After all, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to just walk up to an airline counter and check in w/just a paper ticket whose validity couldn't be checked electronically at all.

So what's the difference between an e-ticket & paper ticket?

I guess I'm asking who's genuinely holding the authoritative entity of "the ticket", and where is it - it's *always* in a computer somewhere, right?

[Edited 2004-09-09 12:53:40]

JGPH1A

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:55 pm

There is no significant difference between an electronic ticket and a paper ticket in terms of the information they contain. The difference is in the way the ticket is handled, validated, and cleared.

Re travelling on a ticket for which no equivalent electronic record exists - most carriers would treat that as a NOREC and allow you to travel if space was available on the flight for which you were ticketed. After all, the ticket is the thing with the cash value, not the booking - the carrier can claim the fare paid from whoever issued the ticket, whether or not a booking was actually made.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers