9A-CTK
Topic Author

Can't Bring Own Food On Flight!

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:25 pm

Ever been bothered by the guy sitting next to you chewing on a roasted piece of dog?? Or the Pakistani taking out a mini-stove to heat up a homecooked Kashmiri Masala soup??

Here is the solution: Fly Air Asia, the new carrier out of Malaysia. You are NOT ALLOWED to bring your own food on board. Check ou this rule from www.airasia.com :

6.3 Hand Baggage
No Outside Food Policy
In view of the region’s diversified culture, strictly no outside food and beverage is allowed onboard. A comprehensive inflight selection is available and may be purchased at reasonable prices.

If you would like to know whether you risk having a half-munched sandwich confiscated if found out by the spying flight attendants, I would not know....anybody any experiences? Advice on how to get "around" the rule??

CanadianNorth

RE: Can't Bring Own Food On Flight!

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:33 pm

The rule may be there, but will it be used?

At the bus company that runs us to/from school here in Whitehorse supposedly has a rule that you cant eat or drink on the bus but at lunch time I always save a little to for the ride home (and I'm not the only one who does this) and all of the bus drivers that we have had sofar have never said/done anything about it, and I know they have seen atleast one of us eating at some point so they must not care. And to be honest, if I were them I probably wouldn't really care if my passengers were eating or not either. As I say, "If your hungry, then go eat."

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

trickijedi

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:34 pm

But how often does that really happen though? How often do you really encounter rude, loud-munching passengers chomping on their over-the-counter-bought food? I have taken lots of flights and have sat next to someone who has done this maybe twice in my lifetime. On the other hand, I've also sat next to those who have brought a McDonalds bag in the plane but have been polite about it, even offering me a french fry or two.

In fact, I myself like bringing in outside food on a flight, especially since airlines are now vigorously cutting back on in-flight meals.

I can see your point though and I sympathize with those who have been inconvenienced by those types of people on a constant basis.

What they should have is an airline that doesn't allow loud, crying infants on their flights. Laugh out loud Just kidding.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

9A-CTK
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:38 pm

At the bus company that runs us to/from school here in Whitehorse supposedly has a rule that you cant eat or drink on the bus but at lunch time I always save a little to for the ride home (and I'm not the only one who does this) and all of the bus drivers that we have had sofar have never said/done anything about it, and I know they have seen atleast one of us eating at some point so they must not care. And to be honest, if I were them I probably wouldn't really care if my passengers were eating or not either. As I say, "If your hungry, then go eat."

I guess what compicates the matter at Air Asia is the commercial interest behind, which your bus company does not have: they want you to eat, and eat the stuff you buy from them !!

Plus, I guess, in Whitehorse you have to eat well all the time to stay strong in face of the harsh CDN North.

Leskova

Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:06 pm

I think the rule isn't bad... I'd probably ask for a gas mask if someone on an Air Asia flight ever took a Durian out of his bag and started eating that... I've heard that the taste isn't that bad (never had the courage to try one), but the smell... yuck...

Then again, they sell food on board, so I'd say that, if the prices are reasonable, it's really not that bad that you're not allowed to bring your own...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

YYZ4RADD

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:01 am

I would love to see how a US customs agent handles a Durian....lol....

it might be considered a biological weapon....lol

YYZ4RADD

JAFA

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:03 am

Actually may foriegn hotels state that you can't bring into the hotel outside food or drink.

cha747

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:33 am

Last time I checked...Durian was considered by George W a weapon of mass destruction  Big grin
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:34 am

I eat it, get caught then woof it down before the fa could take it away
Go big or go home

litz

Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:01 am

I've only seen food disallowed once within the US ...

Here in Atlanta, a passenger showed up with a bag full of The Varsity.

Now, anyone who's from Atlanta or visited here knows about The Varsity.

It's by far some of the most aromatic, albeit greasiest, fast food known to mankind.

The FA's disallowed it due to stench - it would have stunk up that entire MD88 in next to no time .... and that greasy smell just lingers and lingers ...

The guy wolfed it down in the gate area and went on board.

I, thankfully, did not have to sit next to or behind him ...

- litz

hz747300

Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:34 am

Actually may foriegn hotels state that you can't bring into the hotel outside food or drink.

Never, ever heard this... Must not be enforced! In the last few years, I've done this in:

Phoenix
Jeddah
London
Lisbon
Panama
Frankfurt
Montreal
Melbourne

For planes, the best one is the people that bring Taco Bell on the US Shuttle flights to DC. By the time the planes they are all gassy, and we're beggin the crew to open the doors.
Keep on truckin'...

trickijedi

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:50 am

Well you can't eat durian on the MRT in Singapore.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

JAFA

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:54 am

Actually they have all been nice hotels in Asia. It is listed in the hotel guide.

N1120A

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:01 am

This is messed up. They are forcing you to buy their food. You are their hostage in the airplane and now they want you to not eat, or buy. I am sure the food is halal, and Christians can eat almost anything, but what about people who keep kosher, jainists, other vegans, diabetics, hypoglycemics, coliacs, those with severe food allergies or high cholesterol? This is wrong
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

bennett123

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:17 am

I am tempted to say "what is a Durian or The Varsity".

I am just worried that I might find out, and then wish that I had kept quiet.

N1120a

I can see your point, but given that I have to sit next to you, then I think that I will stick to the relatively fare on offer. The smell of a strong curry is one thing on the ground, but not when locked in a Aluminium tube for hours.

kalakaua

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:43 am

Haha!!! Durian... I love durian. I don't think it smells that bad.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

n0aaa

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:54 am

On US domestic flights, you are lucky to get a (small) bag of dry pretzels. You would be nuts not to bring your own food. Recently, the gal on the aisle next to me on a 757 out of MHT hauled out a delicious-smelling deli sandwich and gnawed off a couple of inches every half an hour or so all the way to ORD. I was jealous. That is what I am going to do next trip. I'll buy their beer or drink their pop, but I'm bringing my own food from now on. They can keep their pretzels. -Jan

deltairlines

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:51 am

I'll occasionally buy food and bring it on board. I try and work my layovers to have enough time to have a full meal (for example, I've built in a 2 hour layover in ATL for a trip in a few months, since I'll be travelling at dinner time and I want to eat at Chili Too). However, if I have only a 45 minute layover that isn't really conducive to a table-service meal, I don't mind grabbing a slice of pizza at Sbarro and bringing that on board...A slice of cheese pizza and a coke isn't really that offensive, is it?

Jeff

aeronuts

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:36 am

I have noticed that on evening flights, AA and UAL encourage you to bring food onto the plane - especially from the local fast food chains in the airport. It's a way to stimulate the local economy.

perspicax

Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:32 am

6.3 Hand Baggage
No Outside Food Policy
In view of the region’s diversified culture, strictly no outside food and beverage is allowed onboard. A comprehensive inflight selection is available and may be purchased at reasonable prices.

Might this be a bow to the fact that Air Asia passengers may hail from cultures with rather strict dietary restrictions?

smcmac32msn

Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:43 am

Last time I took food on board (breadsticks) everybody was asking me for one cuz the smelt so damn good. LOL. Have learned to bring on stuff that doesn't smell good (or bad) on the plane.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

dadoftyler

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:00 pm

OK, I'll explain what the Varsity is if somone will explain what a "durian" is.

The Varsity is a small, local chain of Atlanta-area hot dog stands that sell fatty, horrible for you, and absolutely incredible food. When you walk in, the staff chant is "WHAT'LL YA HAVE, WHAT'LL YA HAVE!...." and on and on. It, and Pink's in Los Angeles, are the best hot dog places in the USA. (Sorry, I don't like Chicago-style dogs!)

Talk about guilty pleasures....and I'll be back next time I'm in "Hotlanta" followed by an extra-hard workout that night and salads for the next three days.

dot

uswyjer

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:06 pm

On a flight I was on recently, I was in the window seat, the middle was open, and the guy in the aisle pulled out some chinese food, smelled pretty good, as I munched on pretzels.

YYZ4RADD

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:37 pm

Durian is the essence of smells....anybody who tastes it goes to heaven!!

Let alone anybody who eats it!

I would love to bring a Durian to the US border and let them decide on how to "handle" it....lol!!!!!!!

You might even get DEA and the other agents show up...lol!!!

Regards,

YYZ4RADD

NWFltAttendant

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:11 pm

Sun Country used to be a bunch of creeps about bringing food on board the aircraft. Once leaving MCO to MSP, the agent had a caniption fit with my dad, and my whole family jumped in. She said my dad could eat it out of the trash, i looked at the agent and said thats gross and you know it. Anyways, flt left and thankfully we got home. As a flt attendant, I liked it when people brought their own food since they were satisfied after eating and usually behaved well. Only thing is that sometimes the trash would get a little bulky.

NWA Domestic Hub to West Coast Y class meal

[Edited 2004-09-10 06:15:57]
Go yakkin !!!!!!

B4REAL

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:17 pm

Litz :

I was upset when Krystal opened in ATL - that is a smell I do NOT want on the a/c.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

L-188

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:39 pm

I can understand such a restriction on international flights owing to health regs in individual countries.

However, I would have a fit with an airline if they tried to pull that stunt here.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AroundTheWorld

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:49 pm

I think this is getting a tad carried away - I can understand banning food which can be found patently offensive. I once was reprotected on a NWA flight due to a cancelled HP flight. I was placed in a middle seat between two passengers traveling together - who refused to switch me seats. They were sharing a bucket of KFC extra cripsy and had a lap child - who insisted on using me as a napkin. It's incidents like this that wouldn't make me mind the rule quite as much  Wink/being sarcastic

zippyjet

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:56 pm

Oh boy oh boy, there is going to be some serious air rage. Passengers are going to be doggone if they can't just stop off at the local fast food joint somewhere in Asia and pick up a yummy cocker spaniel lunch to chow down at 35000 feet. They will be at the mercy of this airline and end up paying a kings ransom for some Fido fare in the air. Life's a bitch, ah yes.  Pissed
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

N1120A

Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:59 pm

Look, I was not talking about stopping in Southall on the new First Great Western stopping service to Heathrow and grabbing a curry on the way to your flight. I was talking about the fact that not all people can probably eat what AirAsia sells on their flights. AirAsia is not doing this because they are socially concerned, rather they want to make money on the food. I think that this is akin to forcing someone to starve and is not right
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ZKSUJ

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:58 pm

I brought some confectionery on an SQ flight (a chocolate bar) and was told to dispose of it. I don't know why but rules are rules I guess.

BCAL

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:11 pm

It seems a reasonable enough request for major international carriers if they provide in-flight meals and refreshments. If people start to bring their own food, think of all the rubbish and smells left behind. Think also of a Jewish person sitting next to a passenger gorging on pork, or a nut allergy sufferer having to sit next to someone who wolfs down peanuts for the duration of a whole flight.

Our local cinemas charge a fortune for coke, pop corn and sweets. If you take your own, they normally confiscate it from you or stop you going in until you dispose of it. Similarly I have heard of hotels stopping guests from taking outside food and drink to their rooms.

LCC have limited inflight service so they should expect passengers to bring their own food.

MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

bennett123

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:22 pm

Looking at "The Varsity", get a bit of turbulence and the person next to you gets a Varsity as well.

Also if only "disgusting" food is banned, define disgusting. Result "discussion" at 35,000 feet.

Easier just to ban it all. The FA has enough to do without playing referee.

TW741

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:31 pm

another big problem with the "own food & drinks" is definitely with cleaning the aircraft and - as already stated - the disposal of the garbage. Especially in Europe more and more airports request airlines to seperate the garbage - metal - plastics and other trash - if they dont do it the airline is fined (like in VIE). This is not an invention of the airports - it is common with the regulations of the various nations on garbage seperation.
Thinking of everbody bringing in their own food and disposing the trash mostly in the seatpockets means longer and intensive cleaning (would make turnarounds in 35 to 40 minutes impossible) of the aircraft and makes a seperation of the garbage impossible.

I do think up to a flight time of 2,5 hours nobody would starve having nothing to eat - drinks must be supplied out of health reasons anyway.
For longer flights I personally would prefer the "old system" of normal food being served by the airline included in the airfare. Also for short early morning departures a small breakfast would be a good service also on flights less than 2,5 hours thinking of people having to go very early to the airports at a time when also the coffeeshops and restaurants are closed at the airports.
I also liked the LH service of having some coffee/tea/juice/water and small snacks in the gate area followed by a "non-food" flight.
TWA - we showed you how good we have been!

cx346

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:06 pm

>But how often does that really happen though? How often do you really
> encounter rude, loud-munching passengers chomping on their over-the->counter-bought food?

you don't travel in Asia much, do you  Smile

9A-CTK
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:45 pm

It is getting high time to explain this infamous fruit "Durian" to you non-Asians.

It is a yellowish, smooth, butter-like custard with an outer shell of spikes that can really hurt if touched. It is about football-sized and looks like a giant handgrenade.

The smell is a mix of 5-day old dead body in midsummer smell, camel dropping, armpit....you name it. For a Westerner in Asia, it took me years to be ready to E A T it. Now it is my favourite fruit in the whole world. However, I have to eat on the balcony immediately upon arrival home from shopping, since my wife cannot tolerate it. I once gave some of the custard to my 2-year-old. He threw up shortly thereafter.

When our local supermarket in HKG carries it, you immediately smell it on entrance. It is so intense. I even smell it OUTSIDE the supermarket, some 50m outside, or so; no kiddin'.

For somebody to attempt to eat this on Air Asia, on the plane, would be total insane. I am 100% sure that person would be immediately stoned; there are simply to many Durian non-takers around here.

Got the picture?

pilotaydin

Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:56 pm

well bringing food onto the plane....oh hell yea im a big eater. brining cooking utensils onto the plane...big no no.... remember the Saudia Tristar that burned in mid flight and everyone died even though the flight crew managed to land the plane...i believe in class they told us that was caused by the explosion of a small gas cooker kinda thing. Sad.

nothing wrong with brining on food, my bistro bag made me sick on AA, and on LH from ATL-FRA i met the hottest swedish chick that i still keep in touch with, bc i shared my onion rings at Gate E-28, she changed her seat and sat with me all the way there. Go gate E-28 at KATL! and of course seat 30A on the A340  Smile

cheers
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!