westindian425

Bwia L-1011 On Terror Webside Sparks Concern

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:16 am

Hey, Guys

I just came across a news article (linked below) that talked about a BWIA Tristar (old color scheme) being posted on a terrorist website and appeared to be exploding. This obviously sparked concern in Trinidad and the Unted States. I have no idea why BWIA was selected; perhaps just a coincidence, or a calculated conspiracy is in the works. The intersting thing is BWIA got rid of it's Tristars a long time ago, and the color scheme was changed even before the Tristars were retired.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article?id=36561175

Neil
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

flybyguy

RE: Bwia L-1011 On Terror Webside Sparks Concern

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:25 am

Absolutely horrid... but then again it could be nothing more than a coincidence. I sincerely doubt that mid-east terror cells will attempt to harm Caribbean or Latin American nations, after all if anyone is feeling the squeeze from American arrogance it aught to be that region.

"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

MEA-707

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:32 am

Come on, these idiots, maybe the terrorist who lived in the caribbean region, just found a picture of a plane in an old holiday folder or magazine and used it on their website, being a BWIA plane doesn't mean anything, for them it's no use to do all the hassle to find a likelier plane they want to target, as their point of doom is clear is enough now.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

LVZXV

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:52 am

Flybyguy:

I sincerely doubt that mid-east terror cells will attempt to harm Caribbean or Latin American nations

Trinidad & Tobago, agreed, pretty unlikely, but Argentina suffered two Islamist terror attacks in the early '90s (Israeli Embassy in 1992 (26 dead) and AMIA Jewish community centre in 1994 (85 dead)), so nothing can ever be fully ruled out with terrorists...

Two things though:

• A BWIA plane (obviously not an L-1011) would have one of the highest elements of surprise for an airborne attack. It's a pretty unthinkable scenario for most.

• At least one of BWIA's L-1011s went to the desert wearing old colours (look closely):

• View Large View Medium
    Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Marcus Jellyman
    View Large View Medium
    Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer

Of course, it's implausible that either an L-1011 or a BWIA plane will be used in a terror attack, but it could just as well be a reminder that no aircraft or airline is safe from the threat of hijacking. Remember, surprise is key for terrorists...

Regards,

ZXV

How do you say "12 months" in Estonian?

cedarjet

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:56 am

Come on guys, 99% of air travellers don't know what plane (or even airline, wot with codeshares n all) they're on. Why would a terrorist / web designer in Yemen give a shit? "Er, Yassin, you building this website on behalf of our glorious struggle against the infidels is great and everything, but you've used a USAirways 737-200, and that type was retired over a year ago. If Osama sees this we'll be in double trouble. Must do better."
    fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

kl911

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:02 am

'''A BWIA plane (obviously not an L-1011) would have one of the highest elements of surprise for an airborne attack. It's a pretty unthinkable scenario for most.'''

That makes it an easy target, don't forget that. They will be less prepared and there will be less security then an El Al plane for example.

KL911

LVZXV

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:10 am

Kl911:

Re-read the extract:

'''A BWIA plane (obviously not an L-1011) would have one of the highest elements of surprise for an airborne attack. It's a pretty unthinkable scenario for most.'''

Already said what you said!  Big grin

ZXV

How do you say "12 months" in Estonian?

spacecadet

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:07 pm

Did anyone catch this at the end of the article?

"according to the official, "this could have been a photo taken by an amateur and posted on a website dedicated to showing pictures of planes from around the world. From there, anyone could have access to it.""

Did this photo come from here?

Just curious - I'm sure they're just using a photo they found somewhere, but that quote sounds like the guy was talking about this site.
    I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!