QIguy24
Topic Author

TSA Pays Pax For Stolen Goods.

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:40 pm

IMO it's about time they do something about this. And I hope they will have more check on their employes in the future.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Transportation Security Administration said Friday that it will pay an average of $110 each to 15,000 airline passengers who claim their possessions were lost, stolen or damaged when their bags were screened for bombs and weapons.

Source:http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/09/10/airline.security.ap/index.html

Treg

RE: TSA Pays Pax For Stolen Goods.

Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:24 pm

I feel more and more that Americans are only shooting to their own leg with those tight security procedures.

Two friends of mine: One Swedish and one Estonian. Both had items stolen on their return flight from US. Airlines denied responsibility. In both occasions the airline personell claimed that the US security (TSA, I assume) is to blame. They ended up writing a complaint to TSA. The answer they got: TSA won't compensate losses to the overseas passangers.

I don't think that they would like to travel to US soon again... Sad but true.

Why won't they screen the bags at the check-in, at the presence of the bag owner??

SafetyDude

Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:19 pm

Why won't they screen the bags at the check-in, at the presence of the bag owner??
They do in some places, and the reason that they do not do it everywhere is because it could be a real pain in very large cities dealing with numerous flights. Furthermore, there would be a public out-cry if everyone had to wait for his or her bag to be screened.

I remember reading that TSA was already compensating passengers, but maybe this is something different.

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

F9Fan

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:09 am

Was it the TSA or the airline baggage handlers stealing from bags? Yes there have been reports of TSA screeners stealing things from luggage, but there also have been reports of airline baggage handlers stealing from luggage, too. I suspect the reports of theft increased dramatically after the TSA requested that people not lock their luggage.

F9Fan

Treg

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:01 pm

I suspect the reports of theft increased dramatically after the TSA requested that people not lock their luggage.

That was exactly my point - previously it was very clear: airline/airport was to blame. Now the airlines and TSA are just pointing fingers and passangers are there in the middle. That was also the reason I asked that why not to perform screening during the check-in (or in any other place, where a passanger can be present). After the screening you could lock the bag and the number of suspects would decrease dramatically...