EA CO AS
Topic Author

HP Now Offers Layaway Plan On Tickets

Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:46 am

Well, it has finally happened (in the U.S. anyway - I can't speak for international carriers)....a major airline has begun offering what is essentially a "lay-away" plan on airline tickets!  Insane

http://www.americawest.com/travelplanning/reservations/secure/BMLdetails.asp

And yes - there's even a "NO PAYMENTS UNTIL 2005!" offer. Are they selling air travel or sectional sofas?  Nuts

Bill Me Later®; is a convenient and secure new payment method designed for purchasing on the web. As a credit account, Bill Me Later® provides you with the flexibility to purchase without using your credit card.

To request a Bill Me Later® account, you do not have to complete a lengthy application prior to making a purchase. Simply select Bill Me Later® at checkout to complete your request.

There are no account numbers to enter, just top-of-mind information such as date of birth and the last four digits of your social security number. This information is easy to provide and helps us protect you against fraud.

Bill Me Later® offers “zero fraud liability” protection which means you are not responsible for unauthorized charges.

After you use Bill Me Later®, you will receive a billing statement.

Bill Me Later® offers flexible repayment options: you can choose to pay the entire balance with no additional charges or pay a portion of the balance and regular interest charges apply.

No Payments until January 2005 Offer

You must pay with Bill Me Later® to get offer.

The checkbox next to “Enjoy No Payments until January 2005.” must be checked in order to receive the promotional offer.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N801NW

RE: HP Now Offers Layaway Plan On Tickets

Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:19 am

It sounds like they do run a credit check on you though, unlike a lay-a-way plan. Every inquiry can drive your credit score down. If I needed/wanted to fly AW I think I'd brave my CC number on the site.

searpqx

Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:31 am

Back in the 70's and 80's many airlines actually had their own charge cards, but this is the first in house 'lay-a-way' I've heard of. I guess it's all part of the new business environment the airlines find themselves in, but I can't wait for the day they start offering a new toaster with every account opened!

Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

jjbiv

Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:45 am

If this catches on, the airline industry will be worse for it. The carriers need the cash flow created by prepayment. I suppose it was just a matter of time until one carrier got the bright idea to start this type of program, though.

joe

mlsrar

Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:59 am

Back in the 70's and 80's many airlines actually had their own charge cards, but this is the first in house 'lay-a-way' I've heard of. I guess it's all part of the new business environment the airlines find themselves in, but I can't wait for the day they start offering a new toaster with every account opened!

Until the Mid-90s, United offered their own Travel Card. It was a charge account specifically for purchasing United tickets. I'm not sure when they did away with them, or whether or not they were underwritten by a larger bank.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson