DAYFL
Topic Author

Indy Dropping Flights

Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:05 am

Has anybody noticed that to support Indy's new Florida non-stops that DAY, CMH and IND are all dropping to 7 flights a day in November to accommodate those new flights. Any info on this.

1MillionFlyer

RE: Indy Dropping Flights

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:44 am

They are also reducing Newark and JFK.

They are being very smart and redeploying assets for more effective use. For the P2P MCO service and to enhance PIT and a few other higher demand cities. (BOS and ORD were mentioned in another thread.)

This is a good move. 7 X DAY to IAD is still very good.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

FlyPNS1

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:50 am

The frequencies to many markets were ridiculously high. I think Indy has quickly realized it would be better to go after some new routes instead of running 16 daily flights with loads in the 40's (or lower).

1MillionFlyer

Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:08 am

I think they just deployed all the planes rather than let them sit to build a presense in the initial cities and now that they have some breathing room they can redeploy to new markets and suppliment others. If we go down to 6 flights a day in BNA to IAD I won't mind.

I would love BNA-TPA though  Smile

phatfarmlines

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:16 am

BNA-TPA

Unless DH has a desire to compete directly with WN, this route will most likely not happen. All of the new routes announced by DH out of TPA do not compete with WN. However, DL appears to have picked a fight with DH, since DL has mirrored the DH routes out of TPA.

1MillionFlyer

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:22 pm

I agree. but it would be nice  Smile

FutureFO

Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:40 am

Go DL hope you knock ACA out of FL. Just my thought.

Sean from MCO and CVG
I Don't know where I am anymore

PVD757

Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:17 pm

Add PVD and BDL to the list of places where DH dropped to 7 (from 8) IAD flights on that date too...

ERJ170

Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:49 pm

RDU is dropping to 12 flights from 14. Feasibly, they could drop anohter 2 flights and make it 10 flights a day. The load factor would probably increase greatly. But then, of course, they would need to add at least 2 more destinations. Currently, only AC and FL offer only one destiantion from RDU. I think that perhaps in the future RDU will see additional destinations from IDE. But until then.. I think 10/day would be more than sufficient.
Aiming High and going far..

ny-jfk-lga

Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:48 pm

sean, what ACA are you talking about? ACA isn't serving any florida markets...........Independence Air is. But don't worry though, ACA still serves a lot of places from CVG. For your very own single 'thought' on us getting knocked out of florida I've got one question....................you and who's army? I love Delta Air Lines, and competition is only natural in this industry. In any event though..........bring it.
Bring back McDonnell Douglas & T W A!!

srbmod

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:29 am

They dropped some of the ATL frequencies so they could redeploy those a/c on to some other routes. In some markets, they have been a bit too ambitious, ATL being one of them. With FL and DL offering flights to all three DC-area airports (IAD,DCA,BWI), and ZW offering flights to IAD (under the United Express banner), DH really has to offer service that makes people want to fly them. They really can't undercut the fares on ATL-IAD because their competitors will do the same thing (even if it turns into a loss-leader for them), plus FL and DL offer something that DH cannot offer on their CRJs, a business class, and that is a plus. The first true test for Independence Air comes when they start their Airbus flights and they start their focus city ops @ MCO and TPA. If they were smart, they would try to enter those intra-Florida routes that FL has dropped as a result of the shuttering of the JetConnect product, instead of going head to head with the big boys. Transcons will probably do well for them, but without any sort of network out west, their options will be limited, as FL has found out (the DFW flights helped them to an extent, but they do need to build a western route network to better feed some of their traffic).

bigphilnyc

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:35 am

I dn't think they made any mistakes. I think they just did a realtime test-market to see which times would be best for them.

Judging my numbers I've looked at, I think they are doing pretty well and their changing of flights and schedules are simplky the results of them working within their new safety net of regional low-cost.

These guys are dominating a little more than any of you think. It's time for other airlines to start getting worried. :-p
Phil Derner Jr.

voodoo

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:07 am

When introducing services, for word-of-mouth spreading of passenger's impressions, it is probably actually better to have low loads (with the initially high frequencies), if you think about it. Most people feel more relaxed on a >1/2 empty plane than on a full one.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

FlyATL

Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:32 pm

plus FL and DL offer something that DH cannot offer on their CRJs, a business class, and that is a plus.

Does DL offer a business class on their RJs? I do not recall ever being on one with a seperate class. Or do they only offer it on select models?

flyibaby

Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:35 am

FlyATL
No, DL doesn't. They have the capability to if they wanted to with some of the CRJ-700's Comair runs, but as of now, it is strictly coach. UA does however with the 700's Mesa operates on routes such as RDU-DEN.