cambrian

Need Info: Plans For New VS Suite To The Caribbean

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:16 pm

I am about to book a flight LGW-BGI for April next year- I can either go BA First or VS Upper Class. I would be seriously tempted to book VS if I knew that the new Upper Class suite was deployed on the route by then.

Can any VS bods help me out?

sky0000547

RE: Need Info: Plans For New VS Suite To The Caribbean

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:50 pm

Since your trip is not till next April then there is a big chance that you will get one of the LGW 744 Suite equipped.

I think that all LHR 744 has now gone through the suite transformation and there are still 2 remaining A346 to do. The suite will be installing onto the LGW birds from next month so by April there is a high chance of you flying on UCS.

Can I just add that VS Upper Class is not a 'First Class' product but marketed as a 'Business Class' with first class service.

Happy Flying  Smile

cambrian

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:40 pm

Thanks Guys, I know that VS is not exactly a First product (especially out of LGW, let's face it), but as one of those rare first class passengers who actually pay for their own tickets (ouch), I am looking for value for money.

Not really sure what to do now- keep my fingers crossed and hope for a suite, or go back to BA. When are the new VS Caribbean routes being launched out of LGW?

If there are new routes to push, then they will probably get the suites first before BGI?

Any news on SXM?

sky0000547

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:55 pm

Cambrian

Not really sure about the other Caribbean routes if it does get the go ahead.

According to VS plans for the refit...3 out of the 5 LGW 744 should have the UCS fitted by the end of this year and that leaves 2 for next year. As I said before VS should have the remaining 2 fitted out with UCS by the time you fly in April. Once all the LGW 744 are done then it should be the turn of the 5 LHR A343.

Happy Flying  Smile

ANA

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:33 am

Kaddy: I don't agree that VS UCS whoops BA First. If you want privacy, you can forget it on Virgin.

Anders

airchabum

Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:59 pm

Hi Cambrian

Having checked a couple of dates in April in the res system it looks like all the LGW 744s will be done by then. 3 are being done this year and I'm assuming the other 2 will be done by Feb at the latest although I only have re-fit info upto Dec 04 at the mo. Have a look at www.v-flyer.com for more VS info/discussions.

Re new Caribbean routes, the only definite ones at the moment are Havana and Nassau, both planned to start in July.

Hi ANA

There's a lot of privacy with the new Upper Class Suites!  Wink/being sarcastic

Cheers

Biggidy biggidy bong

ANA

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:22 pm

Airchabum - I don't think there is: All the seats face inwards so you have the Virgin "shared experience". In addition, if someone sits in the buddy seat opposite to your left they are look right at you - it's quite offputting.

Anders

cambrian

Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:28 am

Thanks guys, I am going to take the plunge and book with Virgin.

After recent appalling experiences in Club Europe, I am really reluctant to give BA any more of my hard-earned cash.

Richard28

Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:38 am

"I don't think there is: All the seats face inwards so you have the Virgin "shared experience". In addition, if someone sits in the buddy seat opposite to your left they are look right at you - it's quite offputting.

Anders"

Flew the Suites to/from SFO in seat 17A/17K (i.e where seating is 1-2-1), and disagree with this statement completely.

Suite is private, and there was no unwanted eye-contact or "stare factor"!!

Rich.

cambrian

Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:00 am

Hi Richard 28,

Thanks for the insight- nice to hear that someone has actually flown the suite.
I was looking on upperclasssuite.com and it looks amazing. I have one question- the alignment with the windows looks a bit odd. Am I going to injure my nexk trying to look out of the window? It seems that the seats very much face into the cabin- will I still be able to get a good view from the seat?

Also, what was the ventilation like on your flight?

Thanks!

Richard28

Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:41 am

Hi Cambrian,

You're right, the Suite is amazing. Have flown the old Virgin Upper Class as well (J2000 - which was still great) and the Suites are miles better.

The seats are at an angle of about 40 degrees to the window, and viewing is fine - It was a concern of mine as I like to look out on daylight flights, but found it fine.

As far as ventilation is concerned, I cant recall any issues here. IIRC I had two directional vents above the suite (on a B744).

Rich.