MAH4546
Topic Author

Spirit, Delta/ASA Apply For DCA Slot

Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:30 am

Spirit Airlines and Delta Connection carrier ASA have applied for the DCA slot that has been forfieted by airTran recently.

Spirit proposes to use the slot for daily service to West Palm Beach, Fort Myers, or Fort Lauderdale, just like airTran used the slot:

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.cfm?documentid=296711&docketid=7182

Delta Connection carrier ASA, once again, proposes non-stop service to Jackson, Mississippi:

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.cfm?documentid=296648&docketid=7182

a.

jeffie813

RE: Spirit, Delta/ASA Apply For DCA Slot

Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:45 am

while i am glad that someone has finally applied for the spot that airtran forfeited, i'm disappointed that it's sprirt. it basically means that PBI has slim chances of getting the DCA route. as it is, spirit only serves PBI seasonally, and we could definitely support a year round flight to DCA. it would be nice to see some competition to US.

ERJ170

Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:54 am

I have a question, it may be stupid but if so.. it happens..

If an airline is going to start a new service.. say ATL-EWN.. does it have to be approved by DOT/FAA? Will it have a docket also? Or does that only count for international and slot-restricted airports?
Aiming High and going far..

FlyPNS1

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:12 am

It's not a stupid question. Airlines only have to apply to the DOT for international and slot-restricted airports (assuming the slot restrictions are federal and not local). T

There is one other area where airlines do apply to the gov't which is for Essential Air Service markets (EAS). If an airline wants to receive an EAS subsidy to serve a small market, they have to apply through the DOT as well. Of course, if they don't want a subsidy, they are free to start service w/o gov't permission.

In your example of ATL-EWN, DL could start this service whenever they like without applying to the DOT.

ERJ170

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:13 am

Ohh.. okay.. thanks.. Gold Star for FlyPNS1!!
Aiming High and going far..

John

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:18 am

Jeffie813: The fares are very reasonable to DCA on US now, since PBI is now a GoFare market...DCA goes to 3 NON-stops in November (currently, 2). I wonder why AirTran dumped the PBI-DCA route? I guess they're focusing their attention primarily on BWI?

A330323X

Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:01 am

Spirit Airlines and Delta Connection carrier ASA have applied for the DCA slot that has been forfieted by airTran recently.

NW also applied for the slot exemptions, again for DCA-DSM.

It's a bit ironic in that these were initially Spirit's slots, which it forfeited by not using them. Then AirTran got them, and forfeited them by not using them. Now Spirit wants them again. (All the while, of course, NK/FL can't stop complaining about how they don't have any slots.) The really sad part is that Spirit is probably going to get them, just like they got the last ones. Two markets don't have nonstop DCA service, but NK gets the slots to serve markets that not only already have nonstop DCA service, but already have nonstop lowfare DCA service.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.