777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Iraqi Airways Starts International Flights Again

Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:05 pm

After nearly 15 years of being grounded because of wars and sanctions Iraqi Airways is starting International flights again. The airline is launching scheduled flights to Syria and Jordan twice a week. Iraqi Airways hopes to expand to Dubai within the next few weeks. In August the airline successfully completed a trial flight from Jordan. The once 16 strong fleet now has only 1 aircraft that is airworthy, the others which were flowen out of the country were left to rust. Repair teams are being sent to repair the 15 other planes.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/business/2004/September/business_September360.xml§ion=business&col=

[Edited 2004-09-18 07:06:43]

luisca

RE: Iraqi Airways Starts International Flights Again

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:26 pm

Great news!
another member of the Aviation community
and another sign that slowly but surely things are returning to normal in Iraq
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

PlaneviewNYC

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:52 pm

Great news, indeed. Airworthy or not, though, I'd be very skeptical that said aircraft could do more than a few cycles without getting some Al Qaeda SAMs shot at it.  Sad

burnsie28

RE: Iraqi Airways Starts International Flights Aga

Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:01 pm

But the fares are horrible something like starting at $650 US DOLLARS!!!!

QIguy24

Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:07 pm

This is really good nows for Iraq. But I have the little same feeling as PlaneviewNYC. If they could do it after the Israeli flight in Kenya, why shouldn't it be possible at Iraq Airways? And I hope to God that it won't happen.

Burnsie,

Yes of course. That is hopefully just in the starting phase. And I'm sure most people don't mind paying that.
And most likely the only ones to fly into Iraq in the beginning are contractors with money in their pocket.

ual747den

Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:43 pm

I was going to say that they should start a USA flight because most of the contractors are coming from here and then they could also visit their families more often but I guess that wouldn't be the safest thing. I really don't see how it is safe to land there at all.....? If its safe enough for a plane to land at all do you think that a flight to the US would work? I would think that at this point they could fill it up with family of contractors going out there and then contractors coming back to visit. I know now they don't even have that option. You have to stay there until the job is done because obviously there is not flight to get on!!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

behramjee

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:13 pm

Iraqi Airways says its offices have already sold dozens of tickets, but at prices the majority cannot afford. A return ticket to Damascus would cost $600, and a return to Amman $750. The same trip by road costs about $40.

Can you please find me many gullible people wanting to dish out US $ 600-750 for a 1.5-3 hr flight to AMM and DAM from BAGHDAD...a KHI-LHR-KHI return eco tkt for a 8 hr journey one way costs US $ 700 whereas AUH/DXB-LHR-DXB/AUH costs US $ 500-550 return!!!

These prices of Iraqi Airways are utterly ridiculous!!!

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:48 pm

Behramjee

Iraqi Airways fleet are B727s, B732s and B747SPs. Not sure which model aircraft Iraqi Airways are flying on their new flights. As you can see, their fleet are 'old fashined' and are gas guzzlers. Once new routes are announced then fares will drop.

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:06 pm

anyway where does Iraqi airways land? Baghdad int? Yes Iraqi Airways lands at Baghdad Int.

do any other commercial flights fly into Baghdad at the moment? Yes there are about three other airlines that fly to Baghdad. Iraqi Airways are in competition with one of those airlines now.

voodoo

Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:56 pm

BBC says its their only airworthy a/c: 737.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

qr332

Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:07 pm

They have 727s and 707s lying around at 707 just rusting, last time I saw them in augest the engines were being used as homes for pigeons. The aircraft are better than others that were destroyed at Baghdad though, and I think they can be airworthy (the 727) after some maintance. As for the 707, I doubt they would use that aircraft.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

ly7e7

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:46 pm

Today IA's 737 flew for the first time AMM- SDA.
Details anybody?
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

moose1226

RE: Iraqi Airways Starts International Flights Aga

Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:39 am

I was watching a story about this on CNN today, and the aircraft they were showing was a 732.

L-188

Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:27 pm

But the fares are horrible something like starting at $650 US DOLLARS!!!!

Hell that is less then what Alaska would charge to get me to Seattle.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Phaeton

Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:54 pm

The three letter airport code of Baghdad International Airport is still SDA for Saddam International. Is someone going to do something about it?
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

levent

Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:10 pm

The plane they are operating in indeed a 737-200 and on the Amman route they are competing with Royal Jordanian.
The code SDA doesn´t say much about its original name, does it?

DIJKKIJK

Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:36 pm

Is Baghdad's airport still called "Saddam International" ?

Are they not going to rename it to "George Bush...", no sorry, "Baghdad International Airport"?

Laugh out loud
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

daumueller

Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:44 pm

DIJKKIJK: it's name already is Baghdad International Airport - just the 3-Letter code is still SDA.

CedarWings

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:15 pm

The first pictures of the Iraqi 737 200 in Baghdad International Airport yesterday.

[Edited 2004-09-19 15:33:28]
I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it would be the truth

cambrian

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:20 pm

What about the Iraqi aircraft trashed by the US soldiers when they "liberated" the airport?

luv2fly

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:29 pm

I believe you are talking about the fleet that was left to the elements for YEARS and not air worthy, so please tell the whole story, these were not factory fresh planes we are talking about. I am not excusing what happened by any means.
You can cut the irony with a knife

bennett123

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:30 pm

I think that most of the aircraft that were at Baghdad are only of interest to the Fire School or for target practice/Scrap.

They may provide some spares, but were apparently well looted, and would need to be re-certified, (probably not worth the effort).

I think that Iraqi Airways may be looking for "new" aircraft.

Reply 6

I think that if I was going to Baghdad, (which I am not) then travelling by road would be a foolhardy decision. Blow the cost, I want to die in my own bed.

JoFMO

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:44 pm

Th german magazin DER SPIEGEL has a story about Iraqi starting international flights again.

And it mentions that so far only Royal Jordanien is serving Bagdad two times daily with an Fokker. The flights are done by special hired South African pilots. The interesting thing is that they have special landing procedures. Because they fear to be attacked by stinger missiles the plane flies in small circles over the airport to loose altitude.

TW741

Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:04 pm

There are some photos in the database dated January 18th, 2004. Comments mostly say engines were removed to show US forces she wasn't a threat, and therefore wasn't targeted for destruction
for example:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pete Hawk

This photo shows a 727 with a 747SP behind:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pete Hawk

Besides engines removed I am wondering why doors and emergency exits are open - would mean a lot of dust and sand inside the aircraft.

One photo shows 3 parked 727´s at AMM - have those be maintained over the time by RJ? Or just parked and nobody looked at the birds all the time?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Hans Kruger

At least the captain of the 737 on the pic´s posted by Cedarwings looks happy - finally flying again ....

=TW741=
TWA - we showed you how good we have been!

voodoo

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:16 am

Luv2Fly wrote:
I believe you are talking about the fleet that was left to the elements for YEARS and not air worthy, so please tell the whole story, these were not factory fresh planes we are talking about. I am not excusing what happened by any means.

Absolutely incorrect.
Iraqi AW was flying passengers (illegally but never challenged because it wouldn't look good, or strengthen any `coalition' to shoot down `even' an Iraqi pax jet) from Baghdad to Basra using 727s and IL-76s until hostilities began. As stated above, the engines were removed for their protection and to reduce targeting by US forces. But that didn't stop the eventual vandalism.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

daumueller

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:28 am

And it mentions that so far only Royal Jordanien is serving Bagdad two times daily with an Fokker. The flights are done by special hired South African pilots. The interesting thing is that they have special landing procedures. Because they fear to be attacked by stinger missiles the plane flies in small circles over the airport to loose altitude.

it's all a little strange. Royal Jordanian show's the route in it's route map but I can't find a possibility to book that route (or any information on the route in amadeus)...

ben

luv2fly

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:30 am

If they really wanted to protect the planes they would have gotten them out of harms way, they took the time to remove the engines why not just do the job correctly the first time.
You can cut the irony with a knife

TW741

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:02 am

@Daumueller - flights are operated but obviously not bookable via normal CRS, maybe only direct with RJ offices.

On their routemap they should SDA connected with AMM with a F28 (Air Namibia Aircraft?)
http://www.rja.com.jo/DynamicPages/rjroutemap.htm go to Middleeast on the map.

Here is the picture proof - photo shot in July 2004 at SDA:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers

This is from a press-relase of RJ:

RJ and Iraqi Airlines sign cooperation agreement

Several RJ and Iraqi Airlines officials held a meeting recently during which they discussed various aspects of cooperation between the two airlines, in light of the current difficult conditions in the air transport sector in Iraq.

Both RJ and Iraqi Airlines took into consideration the present situation regarding RJ's policy to enhance regional cooperation with all Arab airlines. In addition, the officials discussed the possibilities of common operations on particular airlines in order to facilitate joining Baghdad with the rest of the world especially following June 30, 2004 when Iraq will be handed authority by the coalition forces now governing the country. RJ expressed its full readiness to cooperate with Iraqi Airlines in order to meet the requirements of the coming stage and continue the traditional ties between RJ and Iraqi Airlines.

Both airlines agreed to suggest a common operations plan to serve passengers traveling to/from Iraq.

Arrangements have been made in commercial activities and operations between Amman and Baghdad and to collaborate in ground services, in addition to training Iraqi Airline personnel in the fields of accounting, management, marketing, sales and reservations. RJ expressed its readiness to offer the Iraqi Airlines staff a comprehensive training program in different RJ departments.

RJ has been flying nearly all full loads to Iraq daily.

A later press release indicates
RJ has made substantial preparations for the summer season so as to be able to accommodate increased demand for travel during the high season. A number of weekly flights to many destinations have been increased, such as Paris, Frankfurt, Vienna, Dubai, Kuwait, Jeddah, Riyadh, Khartoum, Larnaca and Baghdad.

@Luv2fly - why so picky? I thought this is an airliners forum and no political board - at least for me airline is airline - no matter if from New Zealand, Swaziland, USA or the Iraq...

[Edited 2004-09-19 20:04:55]
TWA - we showed you how good we have been!

Fokker50

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:14 am

Well, I must say that Iraqi airways is doing it well, also they can have some Fokkers to make the domestic routes, also take some 733 and 762 from the destert and make them the emblematic airline from the middle east.

Fokker50
Bogota, the South american gateway!

LEARJET23

Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:09 am

The freshly painted name of this first 737 in the new airline is......."Rocket man" !
gotta love it!

foxiboy

Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:42 am

Hey guys this is a civil aviation forum not a political debate about us/UK action in Iraq, but if you must know I think it was about time something was done about Saddam, a few years back I operated a number of flight for the un airlifting Iraqi Kurds and Iraqis opposed to saddens regime, if you could have seen these people you would understand,we had orphans,women who had been raped men also,and families who had been destroyed by his regime,people who were treated like sub-human so guys until you have witnessed at first hand what a dictator he was then please understand he had to go. Simple!

foxiboy

Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:43 am

And yes good to see iraqi airways flying again

BA

Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:46 am

It's good to see them flying again although I don't expect them to have any serious plans or even consider acquiring new aircraft until the situation in Iraq calms down.

Middle East Airlines (MEA), the national carrier of Lebanon, and Syrianair, the national carrier of Syria, are creating a regional subsidiary with 50-seat turboprops that will operate short-haul flights from its hubs in Beirut (BEY) and Damascus (DAM). They mentioned that they will fly to Iraq. The airline will begin flights next March.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

bennett123

Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:02 am

Cedarwings

Do you have an ID for the B737.

I notice that the F28 shown by TW741 is ZS-XGX, which was SE-DGF,(SAS) in an earlier life.

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:59 pm

Cedarwings
Thank You for providing those excellent pics of the first flight. That is something all Iraqi's can be proud of Smile

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:44 pm

I'm glad they kept the old IA colours - although not with the "dolphin", which is a shame.

I hope IA aren't going to be hosted in RJ's RES system - they're in SITA Gabriel, which is not beautiful. Currently they have no schedules filed with OAG, as far as I can tell.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

lapper

Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:30 pm

BENNET123:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rudolph van Eeden

9L-LEG

Gotta love the wearing of HV vests!