Fabi727
Topic Author

Any Surcharge In Venezuela On Online Tickets?

Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:47 pm

I want to buy tickets online in London for travel between Caracas and Bogota with a stopover in Panama. I have heard that if these are purchased in London for travellers living in Venezuela there is a surcharge levied at Simon Bolivar airport on such tickets by the Venezuelan authorities to make up for lost tax revenue despite the fact that the price indicates that all taxes are included in the total price. Can anyone please advise me whether the Venezuelans levy such a tax?

luisde8cd

RE: Any Surcharge In Venezuela On Online Tickets?

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:29 am

Welcome to a.net!

I wish I could give you an answer but I have no clue about this tax thing. I suggest that you buy the tickets here in Venezuela and pay with Venezuelan Bolivares (Bs.) as it's cheaper. I don't know if you are aware that here we have a currency exchange restriction that doesn't allow us venezuelan to buy US $ or any other currency, so people that want to buy foreign cash pay a higher price than the current fixed echange rate set by the goverment. For example right now if you want to buy 1 $US dollar from someone that's selling cash, it will cost you Bs. 2500, but if you go to a currency exchange shop or a bank and want to change 1 US dollar to Bolivares, you will receive only Bs. 1920 for each USD as this is the fixed exchange rate.

So my suggestion is that if you got a friend here in Venezuela, sell him US dollars at 2500 Bs/$ and then use your Bs. to buy the ticket. In the airline business they use the oficial currency exchange rate.

soups

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:31 am

try opodo.co.uk they can sell u tickets departing OUTSIDE the UK and delivered within the UK
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

luisde8cd

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:33 am

I just received an email from a fellow venezuelan that works in a travel agency. This is what he has to say:

No matter where you buy the tickets, you will have to pay local taxes. In CCS you always have to pay:

-Airport usage fee: 61,750 Bs.
-Departure tax: 24,700 Bs.

You must pay this no matter where you bought your ticket. After you checkin you must go to a counter where you pay an airport official those fees and they give you a sticker that you must present before you board you flight. Hope this helps.

Fabi727
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:31 am

Thanks for your help,I will try to buy them in Venezuela.