b727fan

More DL @ EWR?

Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:27 am

I was just wondering if we would see more DL flights at EWR? Now that CO is a member of Skyteam, would be nice to see DL switch to larger airplanes at EWR. They fly many 757s & 767s to both LGA & JFK. I love CO but frankly would like to see a variety of more airlines utilizing larger planes at EWR.

prosa

RE: More DL @ EWR?

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:27 pm

DL seems to be more concerned about increasing its service at JFK. Expanding EWR service at the same time doesn't seem like a good idea.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

toltommy

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:32 pm

Agreed. Now that CO is joining SkyTeam, you might see the equipment upgrades, but I doubt you'll see more flights. If anything, you'll see more flights, but more operated by CO, with a DL flight number attached. Focus will continue to be at LGA (especially w/ B6 coming in, and JFK. Song is slated to grow under Grinstein's plan....

prosa

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:55 pm

Song is slated to grow under Grinstein's plan....

Interesting you mention Song. I flew B6 76 PBI-JFK yesterday (I'll have a trip report posted in a day or so), and due to a never-explained 90 minute delay I had too much time on my hands in the C Concourse at PBI. I saw four DL flights, two of them Song, depart as I waited. Out of curiosity, I tried to see how many people boarded them.
The two Song flights I saw depart were 1998 to LGA (reg. N6710E) and 2098 to BDL (reg. N649DL). Both seemed to be crowded, either to capacity or very close. I had seen the BDL flight as it landed, as 2044 from LGA, and it discharged a heavy load, once again probably capacity.
On the other hand, I saw DL 1174 (733 reg. N377DL) depart to CVG and MSP, and despite watching the whole boarding process (I had plenty of time to kill), I saw around 30 people board. While I didn't see the boarding process, a flat-screen monitor near the gate for DL 798 (MD90 reg. N9120E) to ATL and IND said, about 40 minutes prior to departure, that 100 coach seats were still available. It surprised me that DL revealed such information.
While this is certainly not a statistically significant survey, it's nonetheless worth noting that I saw two full or nearly full Song flights and two nearly empty DL mainline flights.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Thrust

Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:27 pm

DL already has huge service at JFK and LGA. Expanding at EWR, an airport very close by, seems sort of pointless...what we want is to become more spread out over a wider area...hey, STL could use some service from DL, at a cheaper price  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Fly one thing; Fly it well

OttoPylit

Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:32 pm

Well, depending on what day it is, and time of day, CVG flights are not full. The reason for this is that most CVG connections are to OH flights. DSM, CRW, GRR, LAN, etc. Its basically a few people a flight. Except during holidays, I never see CVG flights go out completely full, which is a good reason why DL keeps most CVG flights as MD88's and 737's. Very few 757 and 767's flying in an out.

However, the PBI-BDL and LGA markets are very heavy with direct passengers(darn Yankees moving to the South!). So the Song flight would be a viable alternative to making them connect through ATL or the above mentioned CVG.

And aren't the GIDS screens marvelous? Trust me, you do not want to know how much each of those cost when Delta bought them, but they really got their money's worth. I have tried to tell Delta to put football highlights up on them there when a flight is not being worked, but to no avail.  Big thumbs up
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

LUV4JFK

Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:06 am

Looking at new schedules for February, it seems they are adding 2 more flights to ATL for a total of 14 a day to EWR. Hourly services come back as well except for 2 times a day on the ATL-EWR flights, which are 10:00am & 7:00pm, and once a day EWR-ATL at 1:15pm. EWR-ATL flights leave at :15 past the hour. That is the only expansion I see for now. Any other extra flights would obviously go to CVG & SLC.

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

STT757

Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:24 am

DL it seems is doing the opposite, with their partnership with CO they have dropped Song flights from EWR to FLL and TPA. They are holding onto the EWR-MCO flights.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

kcrwflyer

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:27 am

uuh, representing CRW here. The load factor is supposedly good, something around 80-90%. just from the airport director ,what he said. He even wants another flight to CVG.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos