chrisjake

Service To YNG -- Most Likely Who And How?

Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:56 am

right now YNG has no scheduled passenger service. if new service were to start, which airline would be most likely to do so?

thx
chris

[Edited 2004-09-20 22:10:48]

westjet_8

RE: Service To YNG -- Most Likely Who And How?

Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:46 am

Whats YNG? Say the name of the airport not just the code.
Canadian. RIP 1999

TWA902fly

Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:46 am

Youngtown, Ohio as far as i remember... the Y starting code might decive you into thinking its in Canada, alas it is not. As far as i remember, Northwest used to fly DTW-YNG and USAirways PIT-YNG, that was one of their shortest flights. Express I Saab 340s (i think) and Colgan Air Saab 340s. I doubt USAirways would start a new route to PIT.... and i bet both of them closed the routes for a reaon, so unless NW finds a new use for DTW-YNG, id say no one will come near YNG. Except for someone like PanAm, Transmeridian, Southeast attempting to name it Cleveland's second airport... which could somehow work with flights to LAS SFB FLL and such. But in reality- i doubt it

PS if anyone is mad at any of the above, i have nothing to back up anything i said except for the previous services, so i admit it is purely speculation.

TWA902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

146crew

Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:08 am

Northwest Airlink/Mesaba (Saab 340) and United Express/UFS (BAe ATP)
used to run CAK(Akron/Canton,OHIO)-YNG(Youngstown, OHIO) in the mid-late '90s.
Cross check complete.

as739x

Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:41 am

I wouldn't expect anything any time soon. The big airlines in the area have done everything they could with Youngstown. NW pulled out, even trying to run the flight thru CAK. Same as UA. USAirways will not have a hub very close anymore. And if you want to fly US, go to CAK or CLE. CO, I think they have a scheduled bus going to CLE. DL, not a chance. FL, not a chance. B6, less then not a chance. The tough part for Youngstown is that its close to Akron/Canton, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Not much of a heart beat anymore I'm afraid to say. Looks to me it will be charters from here on out unless the city can put some money down, cause they will never get goverment money.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:00 am

NW (Mesaba) pulled out shortly before 9/11. At the time they operated 2 daily Saabs that either stopped in CAK or continued on to SCE.

NW would be the best bet, but if they couldn't make it before, its probably a lost cause now. If some sort of financial incentives were offered, NW could return with Saabs, but its proximity to other airports hurts its viability.