ozzie

Leaders Using Aircraft From Their National Carrier

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:50 pm

I recently read that the Prime Minister of India had used an Air India 744 to travel to the United States. What other leaders frequently charter aircraft from their national carriers or other carriers?

TriStar500

RE: Leaders Using Aircraft From Their National Car

Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:16 pm

From what I have read, leaders from most sub-Saharan countries. This usually takes the form that the Big Chief arrives at the airport with his entourage, charters the next available jetliner from the national airline and flies away for a couple of days 8be it for diplomatic or very often just personal reasons), putting the original schedule into disarray and stranding hundreds of "regular" passengers. I have heard such stories about Zimbabwe, Gabon and Cameroon.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Lufthansa

RE: Leaders Using Aircraft From Their National Carrier

Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:32 pm

Yes Tristar 500 is right.

Infact that i why so many western/asian companies operating in Africa have an SAA only policy. If you can't fly on SAA (which isn't always possible...and it involves connecting at the end of africa...not always convient) for fights inside Africa, you charter a Citation etc or you don't go.

Oh, anybody know how Air zimbabwe is doing these days? They used to fly a 67 across the pond (the big pond from Africa to Australia that is!) into perth and i know QF dropped Harare a long time ago now?

USAFHummer

Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:10 pm

"Blair Force One"...Tony Blair uses a chartered BA 777 quite often for trips...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

bennett123

Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:10 pm

One day, he is going to need a B777 and BA is not going to have one spare.

That would be great, let him see what everyone else has to put up with.

(No in the real world, it won't happen).

trident2e

Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:27 pm

British Airways is not a national carrier - it is a publicly quoted company.

LHR27C

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:28 pm

Blair is the most well known, he tends to charter a BA 777, but did once charter Concorde to Andrews Air Force Base on the day she returned to service after the re-lining of the fuel tanks, etc.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

ZKSUJ

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:37 pm

I know that the Queen of England regularly travels on BA (I see it on 'airport') although I do remember her using NZ on her trip down here.
Singapore PM also uses an SQ 777 I think.

BCAL

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:05 pm

Bliar (sorry Blair) and his family used a JMC/Thomas Cook regular charter flight for one of their recent holidays to Sharm el Sheikh. The Blairs were given the first two rows to themselves. Other passengers had to wait almost an hour for the Blairs to board. It was reported that the passengers gave the Blairs a slow-clapping when they finally boarded.

I bet they wanted to charter a BA 777 for this trip but think of the backlash from taxpayers if they found this out.

Prince Andrew rarely uses BA. He more often uses aircrafts from the Queen's Flight, even just for his golfing trips!

MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

JGPH1A

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:11 pm

The old Nat govt in SA used to use SAA 747's for their rare overseas jaunts (the SAAF only got the BBJ recently, and up till then the biggest VIP aircraft the SAAF had going was the Falcon). I remember one trip the much-loathed PW Botha did, to Europe, it was in the late 80's I think, he was in full State President fantasy mode (limo's with flags on, specially uniformed State Presidents Guard soldiers, all the business, and took an SAA 747 over, and had a 737 aircraft as well (not sure why, I think it was for short legs within Europe). Silly old fascist.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

777ER
Crew

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:17 pm

ZKSUJ
Are you meaning her last trip because I have a very rare limited edition photo of the BA B777 at WLG with the Queen standing in front of it. Photo was taken just after the queen came of the plane after it landed from LHR, with the New Zealand Airforce, Army and Navy all doing the Royal Salute. Only three photos were prouduced of it.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

QANTASforever

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:26 pm

The Queen of Australia in recent years has travelled on Qantas.
Prince Rainier flies on Air France out of Nice usually unless he hitches a ride on a charter jet.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

777ER
Crew

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:28 pm

Does Australia have a Queen? Yikes you learn something new everyday on this site Smile
Head Forum Moderator

ringwaymanc

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:00 pm

I know the Chinese prime minister uses an air china 747-400 when he goes visiting his mates!!!!!... Saw it at salztburg a few weeks back when he was visiting Mr Austrian prime minister

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:04 pm

Does Australia have a Queen? Yikes you learn something new everyday on this site

Australia does indeed have a Queen: Queen Elizabeth II, better known as the Queen of England. To quote the CIA factbook:

democratic, federal-state system recognizing the British monarch as sovereign

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/as.html

She is also the head of state of quite a few other countries in the Commonwealth.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

777ER
Crew

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:11 pm

Didn't think Australia had their very own Queen, like what Japan does.
Head Forum Moderator

Blake

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:01 pm

Interestingly enough, Belgian government leaders were "blamed" to not use SN for their flights...instead they used to (and still do I guess) "charter" Belgian Air Force jets.
This even got very broad media attention when amidst the struggle of SN to stay airborn, prime minister Verhofstadt travelled with a small staff (+/- 15pax) from Brussels to Amsterdam (300 kms) in a Belgian AF Airbus 310!

Hence the nickname for the Belgian Air Force ever since: AirVerhofstadt (or AirMichel after another enthousiast air force user vice-prime-minister Louis Michel).

Regards,
Blake.

diesel1

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:08 pm

Starlionblue

You said 'Queen Elizabeth II, better known as the Queen of England'

Not strictly correct, as the following answer from her own website explains...

The title 'Queen of England' was last officially held by Queen Elizabeth I who ruled between 1558 and 1603. Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of England, but she is also Queen of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - in other words Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. She is also Sovereign in a number of realms (certain countries within the Commonwealth, in which The Queen holds this constitutional position).

The Queen was proclaimed by different titles in the independent realms of the Commonwealth. The style and title proclaimed for the United Kingdom and its dependencies was: 'Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.'

Therefore to describe The Queen as 'Queen of England' is not strictly incorrect, but it is somewhat misleading as she is also Queen of other parts of the United Kingdom, and of the realms in the Commonwealth.

http://www.royal.gov.uk

So an analogy would be calling George W Bush President of California .....
I don't like signatures...

jasepl

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:18 pm

777ER:

Australians are subjects of "Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God Queen of the Commonwealth of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth."

And guess what? Kiwis are subjects of "Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the Dominion of New Zealand and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

You do indeed learn something new every day!  Big grin

QANTASforever

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:40 am

Yes that is correct Jasepl, Australia's head of state is Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God Queen of the Commonwealth of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth. The Australian state recognises Elizabeth II as the Queen of Australia, thus Australia recognises it has a Royal family primarily made up of the consort to the sovereign, and the Crown Prince - in this case, Charles.

QFF

Leskova

Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:40 am

Lufthansa, are you sure that Air Zimbabwe flew their B767s to Australia? I only remember the Qantas flights to Harare, but that's also a thing of the past... and has been for quite a while. I'm not sure that the ETOPS requirements would have allowed (or would currently allow) B767s operations between HRE and PER.

Anyhow, I can confirm that Robert Mugabe, pseudo-democratically "elected" dictator of Zimbabwe uses AirZim's planes on occasion: fortunately for me he stopped "hijacking" planes, in other words simply taking one out of the fleet, regardless if that plane is scheduled to fly a full load of passengers on an international flight or not...

I once had the dubious pleasure of flying on Air Zimbabwe's B767-200ER "Victoria Falls", Z-WPE, from Harare to Frankfurt (leaving HRE on 13 Feb 2000) with "Comrade President Mugabe", including his wife and about half his government on board: I sat in the second row of Economy Class, all except the last row of Business Class was sealed off for him and his wife.

For security reasons, that meant boarding and leaving the plane through the rear exit - not that bad in Harare on a summer evening, but really awful in Frankfurt on a winter morning...

Other than that - I think I've rarely since (or before) experienced such a smooth takeoff and landing, not on AirZim, not on any other airline...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

MEA310

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:39 pm

The Lebanese president uses MEA's aircraft(s),he flew to Brasil using the A330,and on other occasions the A321.Funny how the Lebanese PM has his private B777 while the government can't afford buying a Presidential aircraft Embarrassment

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

AngelAirways

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:56 pm

in response to one of the above posts...

British Airways is indeed a public limited company trading on the stock exchange, but it still retains status as flag carrier because it holds grandfather rights on many routes governed by strict bilateral agreements. In the eyes of the general public it is still 'britain's national carrier' despite VS attempts to put flags on their winglets and noses...

Imagine Blair or even worse.. imagine the Queen taking a VS 346! hahaha
Not old Lizzie!

photolppt

Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:00 pm

Hi,

Our VIP transport squadron (operated by the portuguese air force) operates three Dassault Falcon 50, and are used in pools by the President, Prime Minister and ministers, normally when travelling intra-EU.

For more distant travelling, it is not uncommon for the VIP to use TP regular flights (on executive class naturally) if the entourage is small or charter a TP A310/A340 or S4 A310 if the destination is not covered or there are lots of people travelling along.

Even this week, as our Prime Minister Santana Lopes headed to the UN meeting in New York, he used TP regular flight.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

regards
Luis

A319114

Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:18 pm

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands reserves the upperdeck of KLM-flights if she is going somewhere far (for short trips she uses the official state aircraft, a F-70)
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

Caymanair

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:15 pm

In Cayman, The government charters a Cayman Airways B737-300 for their flights, except for longer trips where they use the entir first-class section of the BA flight.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Poowin Bunyavejchewin
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher

trident2e

Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:11 pm

Angelairways - BA may be one of the UK's flag carriers but this thread was about national carriers (the definition of which is a carrier owned or controlled by the State). And it's rather bold of you to suggest you speak for the whole nation - how do you know the general public still sees BA as a national carrier?

Imonti

Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:39 pm

The South African president has a BBJ, he uses that to hop around the world.
Any other parliamentarian use SAA, unless you are one of the people who love to shout your mouth off about how proudly you are South African then flies BA.

The ministers in South Africa are not allowed to take SAA planes out of service for there wants, they have to take a ride like other passengers and fly when the timetable of SAA is flying, if not tough shit.

About 2 years ago I was flying to London on SAA, and the guy in front of me was the Nigerian Commissioner to South Africa or something, we got chatting and invited me for tea, he kept telling me how promising Africa is, I didnt ever call to have that tea. It was on an SAA commercial flight on SA 234.

Basically on every SAA flight there are 2 seats reserved for people in parliament. Although a lot of times during peak periods, say a monday morning between Johannesburg and Cape Town, the seats are all sold to passengers. It's a good system they have and it works.

Rafabozzolla

Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:19 am

Here in Brazil the executive power has 2 737-200s, a handfull of executive planes and a 707-320 known locally as "Sucatão" (big piece of trash).

Because the 707 is not allowed in many airports due to noise restrictions, the government signed a contract with TAM and the president and his entourage use JJs 332 on long flights.

The air force bought an ACJ which is arriving in the next few months and will replace the 707 and 332 on long haul flights. This purchase caused a wave of criticism due to the cost involved, but the congress approved and the deal is now final and effective.

Kuba74

Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:43 am

Here in Poland the President as well as the government officials usually use either the Tu-154's or Yak-40 airplanes from special Air Force squadron based in WAW, although sometimes they just fly on regular scheduled LOT flights, especially when traveling to the USA.
Kuba

BAxMAN

Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:20 am

Trident, the British public as a whole are not, by any stretch of the imagination, airline enthusiasts and thus pay scant regard to the ins and outs of what makes a national carrier.

Rightly or wrongly, the average Joe on the streets of London, Leeds and Leamington Spa would assume that BA is Britain's national carrier.
I need to get laid

kith

Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:32 am

It suprises me that Britain lets its PM fly on regularly scheduled airlines for his non-government duties. Any president, and every US President always flys on AF 1 rather then commercially (except for Nixon once). Is security a concern? I would think a nation such as Great Britain would insist on the cost of a private aircraft for their PM for security/national pride sakes. Though, arriving in the Concorde certainly trumps any 747! -Matt in KITH

hailstone

Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:09 pm

the pope comes to mind, using AZ equipment (not that AZ actually is the vaticans' national carrier)

jasepl

Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:25 pm

It suprises me that Britain lets its PM fly on regularly scheduled airlines for his non-government duties. Any president, and every US President always flys on AF 1 rather then commercially (except for Nixon once). Is security a concern? I would think a nation such as Great Britain would insist on the cost of a private aircraft for their PM for security/national pride sakes. Though, arriving in the Concorde certainly trumps any 747!

Matt, not all countries see the need for their PM or President to have a dedicated plane. Why should a politician be considered any more important, security wise, than an average citizen? And pride has remarkly little to do with it.

That said, I do find a bit intriguing that Bush, for example, uses AF1 even when campaining for his own re-election. I'm assuming the cost of those flights are also borne by the taxpayer. Since he's not on any sort of official government business, but rather flying in his personal capacity, do Americans find it strange that they have to pay for it?

AngelAirways

Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:34 pm

Yes KITH

but british taxpayers do not 'worship' their prime minister (unlike the US president), in fact its quite the opposite, and his spendings are much more heavily scrutinised and criticised. in fact ownership of a state aircraft would have a very negative public response, especially when education and healthcare are not exactly in tip top condition. chartering from BA is the most sensible and cost efficient thing to do.

security? no we dont need anti missile and electromagnetic jamming devices on Blair Force One. All that paranoia...

TriStar500

Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:50 pm

RE: the Pope

From what I remember, the pope uses AZ only on some of his flights. It seems to be custom that the national airline of the visited country gets to operate at least one flight with the Pope onboard while he is there. This can be a domestic flight, however.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

BCAL

Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:05 pm

how do you know the general public still sees BA as a national carrier?

For starters VS is 49% owned by Singapore Airlines, so they are certainly not the UK flag carrier.

It suprises me that Britain lets its PM fly on regularly scheduled airlines for his non-government duties.

There would be an uncontrollable public outrage if Blair or any British Prime Minister had a dedicated aircraft at their disposal, used every time the Prime Minister or his family needed to fly somewhere, whether for public duties or personal use. Britain cannot afford to give their Prime Minister his own personal BAE146, let alone a B747 or even A380 (but I am sure Blair dreams of having one), and the British public would not want him to have one.

MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

bennett123

Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:29 pm

The point is that George Bush is the President, and Head of State. In fact whereas George Bush is the Commander in Chief, Blair is not that either.The Government is HMG, (Her Majesties Government) and He is Her Prime Minister.

The Queen is Head of State. Until/unless we change to a Republic and make him President, then the closest that he will get to a Presidential A380 is looking at pictures on his PC.

Given that the Queen now has to share a 20 year old BAE146 with all and sundry, all I can say is "Dream on Tony".

jasepl

Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:47 pm

but british taxpayers do not 'worship' their prime minister (unlike the US president), in fact its quite the opposite,

That's something I've always found to be rather strange. The US president is a mere politician after all. You would think he's the Christ himself, the way many Americans (of all political slants) go on about their president!

I would think the public wouldn't tolerate a dedicated jumbo jet for their top politician(s) in most countries, whether or not said country can afford it.

upupandaway

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:38 am

Last time NZ's head of state came to visit (yes, she lives elsewhere!) they gave her a first class seat on the ANZ flight from LHR, infact the entourage probably had the whole front cabin.

Our political leaders are closely scrutinised re travel. PM sometimes flies on Airforce 757 but usually on scheduled carriers. ( I think the old 757 takes a bit longer!) We hate to thnk they might be up themselves Or important! It's a bit sad really.

Saudi King has 744's at his disposal, wonder if he will upgrade to a 380?
My father once flew on one, Riyadh to Jeddah, empty except for him and six other ambassadors all presenting credentials to the King who was at his Jeddah 'residence'. Plane waited and flew them all back again.

QANTASforever

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:48 am

BCAL -

Britain cannot afford to give their Prime Minister his own personal BAE146, let alone a B747 or even A380 (but I am sure Blair dreams of having one), and the British public would not want him to have one.

What nonsense. Britain can afford it, but the government simply chooses not too. You'd be surprised, in Australia - the Prime Miniser and Executive government AS WELL as the most senior figures of the opposition have a fleet of Air Force BBJs at their disposal, as well as a few Canadair Challengers. These will soon be accompanied by a few A330-200s. If Australia can afford that, Britain can too. And it's surprising how little the Australian public cares about all this.

QFF

Mdutch

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:48 am

A319114, Queen Beatrix does not travel on the upperdeck. On state occasions the front of the plane is reserved for her and she usually travels in seat 1K. Officially she will always arrive on the state F-70 so that plane is already flown to the destination she is going to. For instance on her state visit to Indonesia she flew to Singapore on KLM and from there by F70 to Jakarta.

studentflyer

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:51 am

The Indonesian head of state uses Garuda Indonesia A333 on international visits. I can't recall the last visit, but I remember watching her departure with a GA A333. Though the Air Force has a 707 VIP, they don't use it as much as they are supposed to.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the PM of Thailand also uses TG for transport.

Regards,
AK

spk

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:06 pm

Thai prime minister usually flies chartered TG MD11. The Royal family usually flies First Class on TG with seats around them blocked. Sometimes if the entourage is large, TG will provide chartered B747-400.

The government owns A310 and a few 737's which the PM sometimes use and just bought 1 A319CJ with a very nice interior (private bedroom for PM, meeting room, shower). The PM may switch to use the new A319CJ in the near future.

A310 (HS-TYQ/44-444)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Arttu Laaksonen

B737-400 (55-555)

View Large View Medium

Photo © P nokchan

A319-115CJ

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alsatian Spotters

[Edited 2004-09-25 06:22:19]

Paul777

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:06 pm

Tristar500,

I agree it probably happens but I know that the government/president of Senegal has a 727,
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim Feise - APO Photos

and that the government/President of Gabon, has a DC8 ,
View Large View Medium

Photo © ZHANG HUA

and also a Gulfstream
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rob van Ringelesteijn

, and a Falcon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Laurent Cluzel

. Probably other aircraft as well! Love the shots of the C130's on A.net offloading the Gabonese presidents cars in Switzerland! Always amazed me back in the day when I lived in Gabon, that there were about 300km of paved roads, most of those in LBV, and other 'major" cities, and the presidential stable of cars included Porsches, Ferraris, and the like!

After saying all of this, they probably do use from time to time their nations airliners for personal trips.

Paul

Sian

Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:26 am

In reference to previous posts, British Airways can no longer be Britain's "flag carrier", as it no longer serves any airport in Wales; Wales constituting one-quarter of 'Great Britain'. I now consider Air Wales (6G) to be my national carrier. Perhaps BA should be renamed!  Big grin

There goes my 2 ceiniog.

Hwyl!

Sian Big grin
"Pleidiol wyf I'm gwlad!"

FlySSC

Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:54 pm

Though the "République Française" has a fleet of A313 & A319 for the President and the Governement members travels, the French President Jacques Chirac is regularly using Air France's scheduled flights.

Remember he was on board AF's B744 coming from NRT (AF275) on July 25th 2000, waiting to cross Rnw 26R when AF's Concorde F-BTSC took off and crashed.

FlySSC

Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:58 pm

MEA310,

Mr Hariri is using his private plane(s) for traveling. he offered his "services" to the "President" who, of course, has always refused....

The President doesn't travel that much... except for going to Damascus to get his orders. Do you think that Lebanon really need to increase his colossal debt. to buy a plane for his kind of trip ?

BA

Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:18 pm

FlySSC,

He recently traveled to Warsaw, Poland and Minsk, Belarus on an MEA A321. Before that he flew to Sao Paulo, Rio de Janerio, Brasilia, and I THINK Buenos Aires on his South America trip on an MEA A330-200.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

hz747300

Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:21 pm

On this afternoon's episode of "Airport" on BBC America, it showed the Queen boarding what appeared to be a regular BA A319.
Keep on truckin'...