syncmaster

FWA Flight Groundings

Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:46 am

According to local news 3 flight in FWA where grounded due to a "threat" of some sort, apparently non-terrorism. It appears as though from the destination that the flights had that they where DL (CVG), NW (DTW), and AA/TZ/UA (all they said was Chicago). Does anyone have any other information on this?

http://www.wndu.com/news/092004/news_37560.php

That's the only news source I can find with information, and it's from SBN, the local FWA station is not reporting anything, as of yet.

(Please note that the picture in that story is actually a Comair CRJ in SBN, not FWA)

UAXDXer

RE: FWA Flight Groundings

Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Isn't FWA where the American Eagle plane landed with the bad smell coming from the cago bin that caused a big stir in the media?
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

syncmaster

Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:19 pm

Yes it is....I believe that closed the airport down for about 11 hours. I was just curious as to what kind of threat it was....especially because I go in and out of FWA quite a bit.

JetService

Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:59 pm

Syncmaster, the grounded flights were reported in the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette Sunday morning, but no one seems to want to say what the threat was. All they confirm was that it was not terrorist-related and mentioned only outbound flights were affected. No inbound were delayed nor cancelled. But both the Indianapolis and Fort Wayne FBI offices said the threats were 'unfounded'. So I guess nothing ever became of it. I suspect there will be a follow-up article soon saying exactly what the threat was supposed to be. I'll keep an eye out for you. BTW, the grounded Chicago flight was indeed ATA.
"Shaddap you!"

JetService

Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 am

Update: Apparently two people were overheard in the terminal discussing a bomb in a plane about to depart. The planes were searched and pax moved to a secure area. No mention of what happened to the people having the discussion.
"Shaddap you!"

syncmaster

Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:11 pm

Great, thanks for the update! I appreciate it.  Big thumbs up