syncmaster

FWA Flight Groundings

Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:46 am

According to local news 3 flight in FWA where grounded due to a "threat" of some sort, apparently non-terrorism. It appears as though from the destination that the flights had that they where DL (CVG), NW (DTW), and AA/TZ/UA (all they said was Chicago). Does anyone have any other information on this?

http://www.wndu.com/news/092004/news_37560.php

That's the only news source I can find with information, and it's from SBN, the local FWA station is not reporting anything, as of yet.

(Please note that the picture in that story is actually a Comair CRJ in SBN, not FWA)

UAXDXer

RE: FWA Flight Groundings

Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Isn't FWA where the American Eagle plane landed with the bad smell coming from the cago bin that caused a big stir in the media?
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

syncmaster

Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:19 pm

Yes it is....I believe that closed the airport down for about 11 hours. I was just curious as to what kind of threat it was....especially because I go in and out of FWA quite a bit.

JetService

Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:59 pm

Syncmaster, the grounded flights were reported in the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette Sunday morning, but no one seems to want to say what the threat was. All they confirm was that it was not terrorist-related and mentioned only outbound flights were affected. No inbound were delayed nor cancelled. But both the Indianapolis and Fort Wayne FBI offices said the threats were 'unfounded'. So I guess nothing ever became of it. I suspect there will be a follow-up article soon saying exactly what the threat was supposed to be. I'll keep an eye out for you. BTW, the grounded Chicago flight was indeed ATA.
"Shaddap you!"

JetService

Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 am

Update: Apparently two people were overheard in the terminal discussing a bomb in a plane about to depart. The planes were searched and pax moved to a secure area. No mention of what happened to the people having the discussion.
"Shaddap you!"

syncmaster

Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:11 pm

Great, thanks for the update! I appreciate it.  Big thumbs up

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos