MAH4546
Topic Author

AA To Start LGA-BUF

Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:38 am

American Eagle will launch (relaunch? Did they fly BUF-LGA in the past? I know they used to fly BUF-JFK.) four daily flights between New York City LaGuardia and Buffalo on 1 November 2004. All flights operate with ERJ-135s.

AA 4902 LGA 0930-1045 BUF
AA 4904 LGA 1259-1414 BUF
AA 4908 LGA 1459-1621 BUF
AA 4906 LGA 2035-2150 BUF

AA 4907 BUF 0620-0735 LGA
AA 4903 BUF 1115-1230 LGA
AA 4905 BUF 1444-1559 LGA
AA 4909 BUF 1651-1751 LGA

Definitley trying to steal customers away from US Airways on this route. Also, they are going to try to capture Buffalo-Florida traffic. Since they currently only fly BUF-ORD, they can't really capture much of that. Hopefully they get a lot of BUF-MIA traffic, because that could signal a future for that route to happen in 2006/2007.

a.

Lindy

RE: AA To Start LGA-BUF

Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:42 am

I think this is not to fight with US Airways but with the newcomer Westjet. Is Westjet flying from Hamilton or from Toronto?

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:50 am

I think this is not to fight with US Airways but with the newcomer Westjet. Is Westjet flying from Hamilton or from Toronto?

It has nothing to do with WestJet.

US Airways carriers a lot of business traffic on LGA-BUF, and AA wants to take that traffic away. Serious business travelers don't go out of the way and drive from Buffalo to Toronto to fly WestJet. Time is money.
a.

Danny

Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:23 am

That's definitely nice surprise  Smile And obviously targeted at business travelers. Florida traffic flows through JFK on JetBlue or through BWI or direct on Southwest. Seems like the game called "Let's finish US Airways" has already started.

Too bad they cancelled their plans for DFW-BUF so still no silver jets of mainline American at BUF.

Daniel

A330323X

Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:44 am

US Airways Express flies 10 daily roundtrip flights LGA-BUF, including 6x RJ.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

ckfred

Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:21 am

It would be interesting if AA started MIA-BUF service in the future. AA used to fly that route nearly 15 years ago, using 727s.

AA787

Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:31 am

This is a very smart route. They can use it for several things.

To test the demand for NYC-Upstate NY flights
    To go up against B6
    To test the possibility of a MIA-BUF flight

Overall a very good thing for AA,
AA787
ET In NYC

jfklganyc

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:18 am

They flew this route from JFK with Saabs for many many many years.

It didn't work there because of B6 coming in. Much like flights to MCO--they are running them out of LGA instead of JFK with the hopes that they can still make money in the NY market to these select cities.

But look at Concouse A in the CTB--here comes JetBlue!

PJ

STT757

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:21 am

"To test the demand for NYC-Upstate NY flights"

As mentioned AA/Eagle flew from JFK to Buffalo as well as Rochester, Syracuse and Albany for many years.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

SHUPirate1

Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:03 pm

BTW, is American ever going to link up Concourses C+D at the Central Terminal Building at LGA, so they can have Eagle-to-mainline connections? If I am not mistaken, most Eagle flights leave out of Concourse C, and most mainline flights leave out of Concourse D...needless to say, it doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense for an AA passenger going from, say, BUF to PBI to connect at LGA, and reclear security, by which time they will likely miss their connection due to long security lines (and the security lines at LGA can be absolutely insane)

[Edited 2004-09-29 07:20:20]
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

milesrich

Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:45 pm

BUF-LGA with an ERJ-135. New? AA used to fly from LGA to BUF, ROC, SYR, ALB, first with CV-240's (40 passenger), then DC-6's (56 passenger); then L-188 Electras (72 passenger); then BAC-111 and 727's (75-96 passengers). Then AA decided they no longer wanted to serve these routes. ALB was first to go and then the other three. As Yogi Berra says, "It's Deja Vu, all over again." Perhaps AA has learned that there is money in their "roots" as well as their "routes". Could UA return to LGA-CLE, not as long as CO has a hub there.

aacun

Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:04 pm

Ckfred,

As far as I know AA never flew BUF-MIA

bigphilnyc

Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:23 pm

Since the BUF-NYC route is that of a business traveller, it's better that the route be flown from LGA (instead of JFK with B6), the businessman's airport, much easier to get to from Manhattan.

If AA does decent on this route, perhaps B6 will test the route on their own from LGA as well, since they just started ops there last week?

-Phil

Phil Derner Jr.

masseybrown

Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:34 pm

This isn't a completely done deal. AMR intends to discontinue LGA-PWM flights on Nov 1st and transfer the two LGA slots from PWM to BUF. That only supports half their BUF schedule. They have REQUESTED two more slots from the govt, which they may or may not get.

LUV4JFK

Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:31 am

How sad is American Airlines that JetBlue was able to push them out of an airport they once dominated? American Eagle is now a joke at JFK compared to its peak a couple of years ago, which was about 65 flights a day. Now they are starting a route they discontinued from JFK to start it at LGA.

I don't even know why they still fly domestically from JFK under the 1500 mile rule that LGA has. Just stick to the west coast American because you are only going to move the flights to LGA anyway. I guess we'll see all Eagle flights from JFK in the past now at LGA for the future.

Just take a look at the BOS & DCA flights. At JFK, they were at about 10 per day to each city. All of a sudden, they created 'business flights' from LGA with those 20 flights and JFK is left with 8 total, which I'm still shocked it's that much.  Wow! I guess we will be seeing ROC, SYR, ALB, PVD, BDL, BWI, PIT, & PHL because these were all Eagle destinations from JFK.

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

nomadic

Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:38 am

I am still hoping JetBlue will begin ALB JFK. Eagle used to have 6 flights a day on the route and all are gone. There is no service on any airline to JFK.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:31 pm

I agree, MAH, AA is probably targeting US. With JetBlue in the picture, none of the legacy carriers have been able to sustain mainline a/c from ROC/ BUF/ SYR to LGA or JFK. CO likely maintains mainline on BUF-EWR on the strength of its hub. AA probably thinks they can grab from US (the only carrier currently flying the route) the apparently few people who are willing to pay a network-carrier premium to fly into LGA. Test the waters in Buffalo, the biggest Upstate market. If it works there, perhaps try in ROC, SYR, ALB. US has reason to worry.

As Milesrich and STT757 noted, AA served all these cities plus ALB to the New York market for decades. In 1972, AA flew DC-10's on ROC-LGA, I don't know about the other markets.

Also: If AA is trying this on BUF-LGA, don't be surprised if they try it on BUF-BOS too. Eagle served Boston from BUF, ROC, and SYR during the '90s, and I think up until 9/11. (correct me if wrong)

I don't see how this move could be related to Florida, though. SHUPirate's right about what hell it would be to make B-C connections at LGA. I had to go between B and C once *before* 9-11 and it was awful. Maybe you know something I don't, MAH, you sure are well informed about South Florida. But I think AA is simply trying to re-establish a longtime former regional route--perhaps with intention of doing it across Upstate.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

aeroc

Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:32 pm

I work for Eagle in ROC and last week we had a meeting about the possibility of getting LGA and it does not look good. The start up of LGA for BUF seems to be in the testing stage and who knows what will happen to that. In the first week of operation of the flight about three seats were sold to LGA and five seats back to BUF total for all flights. I know its just starting, but I have not seen any Ad's or promotion of this route around the area or in our magazines. I feel that its going to be direct competition with USAirways and possibly the takeover of the route if US folds. Here at ROC the best news of expanding to date is a small maybe on RDU sometime next year. Who knows but I really hope that LGA turns out good for BUF and possibly getting some more Up State consideration for future additions of flights. Until then its a ROC-ORD all day everyday...........

Womack17

Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:20 pm

That is exciting to here that AE is considering a n/s to RDU from ROC. The biggest issue at RDU continues to be "no room in the inn." - It is very frustrating for the travelers at RDU because flying out of Terminal A is a nightmare - most of the time it is organized chaos at best. There are several options for adding new service. The RDU airport authority recently asked US to give up three of their gates in the hopes of attracting some new nonstop destinations. Rochester would be a welcome addition.

Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

ERJ170

Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:35 pm

The RDU airport authority recently asked US to give up three of their gates in the hopes of attracting some new nonstop destinations.

Womack,

RDUAA asked US for 2 of their 5 gates and their maintenance base.. they are leaving 3 to US. They are offering a total of 4 gates to any airline(s) wanting to start new destinations from RDU.

RDU-ROC would be interesting, but I could see RDU-BUF before RDU-ROC.. there are a lot more daily passengers between RDU-BUF than RDU-ROC. But, you never know what AE plans on doing. All I do know is that they will have 100 additional AE crew here, so they must be planning something.

As far as gate space at RDU for AE, there is actually quite a bit of space. AE uses 6 gates with 9 stands. At frequent times during the day, the stands are empty cause AE has very short turn-around times. Also, they use 3 stand away from the terminal that could be used with a shuttle. So I do think there is room at the terminal for more aircraft/destinations. Should be interesting to see what pops up once AUS starts.

AA seems to add destinations once the current new destiantions begin. I should hope to see BUF and MSY.
Aiming High and going far..

Danny

Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:12 pm

"In the first week of operation of the flight about three seats were sold to LGA and five seats back to BUF total for all flights."

What do you mean? These flights start on November 1st.

aeroc

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:22 am

I mean that as of right now there are about three seats sold on the flights in the first "planned week" of operation and about five booked on the way back to BUF for the first "planned week" of operation. I know it does not start til NOV 1st. Ae is using the EMB135 and it hold 37 seats so with 4 flts a day x 7 days in the week x 37 seats = the possibility of 1036 pax flown for the week either way BUF-LGA or LGA-BUF. Right now there are only 3 seats for the whole week sold BUF-LGA and five for LGA-BUF. Thats what I mean.

Womack17

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:52 am

ERJ170,

I can always count on you to clear up my mistakes.  Smile

I have been trying to figure out what new destinations AE is planning from RDU. Like you I believe that RDU-BUF is long overdue.

ERJ - What are you hearing from the AE guys? Any speculation on new nonstops?
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

Danny

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:59 am

"Right now there are only 3 seats for the whole week sold BUF-LGA and five for LGA-BUF."

That's excellent result as no one knew about this connection. They need to put some adverts if they want to attract business travelers.

ERJ170

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:42 am

All the news I get is from reading and digging through the internet. Haven't actually spoken to any of the workers.. would love to get some inside resources....

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:54 am

All I do know is that they will have 100 additional AE crew here, so they must be planning something.

That does not mean they are planning something. American Airlines is simply firing 100 employees in RDU, and American Eagle will hire them. All this means is that those 100 employees will be getting pretty big pay cuts. In the end, it is actually a bad thing.
a.

ERJ170

Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:02 am

True.. AMR will be saving about $1 million a year, but the AE crew will only be able to work on AE flights... if the current number of AE employees are working on the current number fo flights, what will the additional 100 be doing?

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:17 am

True.. AMR will be saving about $1 million a year, but the AE crew will only be able to work on AE flights... if the current number of AE employees are working on the current number fo flights, what will the additional 100 be doing?

You previously had a situation where mainline crew was working Eagle flights. Now, those mainline crew are simply going to become Eagle. Mainline crew can work Eagle flights, and Eagle crew can work an "x" amount of mainline flights as well. What is going on at RDU is simply cost cuts, it doesn't directly relate to any new services (not to say there won't be new services, just saying that the employee switching doesn't have anything to do with it).
a.

aeroc

Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:53 pm

At no time were there mainline crew working Eagle. You were either Eagle or AA. You might flowback to AE but at that time you became AE. You would not keep your AA hat and fly AE no way. AMR would be glad to give you AE pay and fly the AE equipment. As to AE not adding sevice to RDU I believe that AA might possibly keep the same amount of flights but with a MX base opening for AE there soon and a crew base RDU will see some more cities in the near future for AE and not AA. Soon after that, because AA is losing so much money for AMR Eagle will be sold off for the money and AA will go bankrupt and Eagle will by AA and make all the AAers work for less money than AE employees. Hey one can dream right?

desertjets

Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:44 pm

This is all very interesting, especially as American historically has been a dominate carrier in the upstate NY market. Just did some reading on my local airport, SYR, and American is the only original carrier flying from Hancock. I would suspect it is the same for BUF and ROC as well.

What surprises me the most is that none of the upstate markets have n/s service to DFW. Granted there are probably not that many other city pairs that are not served from ORD already. But from the business and leisure travelers point of view the more frequencies and connection opportunities the better, right??? You would think that at least BUF could support 2-3 MD80s to DFW a day.

The entire New England/Upstate NY market to NYC market seems to be up for grabs these days. With the fate of USAirways in the balance this could get interesting.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

PVD757

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:04 pm

Slightly off topic, but AA and NYC related anyhow.

JFK-LGB gets the axe 11/1/04...will be loaded (taken out actually) into Sabre this weekend.

FA4B6

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:22 pm

Slightly off topic, but AA and NYC related anyhow.

JFK-LGB gets the axe 11/1/04...will be loaded (taken out actually) into Sabre this weekend.

Thats really interesting being as AA faught so hard to have a presence at LGB (especially to JFK). What will they do with the slots? add more LGB-DFW?

"Leap! And the net will appear."

NYCAAer

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:46 pm

No word on what will be done with the slots at LGB. ORD might be a possibility, but who knows? I wish AA would bring mainline service back to BUF, ROC, SYR and ALB. It's a shame they're only served by Eagle. But it's a money thing. The same goes for CLE and CVG.

Danny

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:54 pm

"You would think that at least BUF could support 2-3 MD80s to DFW a day. "

American announced a daily flight DFW-BUF on MD-80 some time ago then... they changed their mind. Shame. I flew to DFW and back this week via ORD on United and paid over $800 for that. If they had a direct flight on American I would certainly pick that one.

sebwhite

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:03 am

Here is the press release!

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041001/daf016_1.html

FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- American Eagle today announced it will begin new nonstop service between New York La Guardia International Airport and Buffalo, New York. Effective Nov. 1, American Eagle will fly four round-trip flights each weekday with the 37-seat ERJ-135 regional jet.

dallas74

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:36 am

Just what LGA needs more flights! The airport is just about back to pre-9/11 delay levels.

Using LGA as a hub is a really bad idea.

LGA was the choice of the business traveller, but since the Airtrain connection with the Long Island Railroad has been opened in Jamaica you can reach JFK in less than an hour from Manhattan.

It's a shame some of these guys running the airlines don't visit the cities they are pretending to serve and get to know the local transportation capabilites.

LUV4JFK

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:38 am

American Eagle today announced it will begin new nonstop service between New York La Guardia International Airport and Buffalo, New York.

It seems lately that LaGuardia Airport has been called LaGuardia "International" Airport. Did I miss a name change or something?  Confused I know they handle international flights, but they were never called an international airport.

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.