UAPilot7
Topic Author

Why Is United The Only One With

Fri Mar 03, 2000 1:38 pm

Why is United Airlines the only carrier with the (BEST) feature called "From The Cockpit"? For those of you who do not know what that is, it is a radio channel where you can listen to ATC! Its the best! Usually its Cahnnel 9, except on the 744, its Channel 14 there.

tacoboeing

RE: Why Is United The Only One With

Fri Mar 03, 2000 1:51 pm

i dont know but I really enjoy it.

DL_Mech

Fri Mar 03, 2000 11:17 pm

Why did AA get rid of the Cockpit Cam? Was it the ORD DC-10 crash?
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Sat Mar 04, 2000 2:07 am

I don't know why either but I love it! The first time I experienced it was about 5 years ago on a flight from SEA to DEN. I discovered it just before we began our descent into Denver. It was neat to hear the ATC tell the pilot to move to a different altitude or a different heading and then feel the plane react. I say get it going on all airlines!

convair880

Sat Mar 04, 2000 6:43 am

Don't know why United is the only one with it, but have always enjoyed listening, both as a private pilot and as an aviation enthusiast. Really have enjoyed listening to 'how the pros' do it going into O'hare. I echo the others sentiments about having other airlines making it available to their passengers also.

deltairlines

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:33 am

I think United might have a patent or something giving it exclusive right to this. I must say I love it and wish other airlines did something like it.

Jeff

RL757PVD

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:51 am

I loved that! The only seg they didnt have it was PVD-ORD on the B757. What is even better was DEN-ORD ( My trip was PVD-ORD-DEN-PHX and back) DEN-ORD was a 777 and that had the map and all with the little plane and the ETA.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

I Aggree

Sat Mar 04, 2000 9:05 am

I aggree ua pilot 7. I think that UAL should make a seperate channel on all a/c except the 744 for ATC also. (the 744 has a seperate channel already) That way we can listen to "top pops" or ATC  

Pilot1113

RL757PVD - ORD To PVD Route

Sat Mar 04, 2000 9:31 am

I always fly this route home every vacation and on all those flights they've had ATC. I think only once the crew didn't turn it on or I wasn't given headphones.  

However, each time I go up to the flight deck and present myself as a student pilot from Purdue University, they always turn it on. The Captain even tells me our callsign (as it isn't always the flight number).

- Neil Harrison

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos