TripleDelta
Crew
Topic Author

Diamond Aircraft To Be Manufactured In Croatia

Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:51 pm

Just read this in the newspapers:

Apparently, Diamond Aircraft will soon start building a parts factory and service center at Varazdin (LDVA), that will, according to the source, become the biggest supplier of spare parts for Diamond factories in Austria and Canada. If all goes according to plan, two to three years after manufacture commences, the factory will switch to manufacturing complete aircraft.

Parallel with the factory, Diamond Aircraft would invest into the development of the airfield as well, aiming to establish a permanent ATC, police and customs service. The 1750 meter long paved runway has already seen a strong increase in air traffic, a very pleasant shift I must say, since it is really a very nice airport (had my first contact with a hard surface there  Smile ).

The project is planned to start at the beginning of 2005., when all paperwork and deals are made and closed. According to the director of the Diamond Aircraft representative in Croatia, "the work project is complete, we're only waiting for the decision whether we will construct in a modular concept according to phases, or the whole building at once". The factory will have an area of approx. 10,000 square meters.

Can't wait for this to start. Personally, I think that a switch to newer planes (and low-consumption Diesels at that) is what's needed for the stagnant Croatian aviation to pick up some get up and go. Cheaper fuel + cheaper, home-manufactured aircraft + replacing old, frequently ill-maintained a/c = advancement of our backward aviation system and increase in flying freedoms.  Big thumbs up
No plane, no gain.

adriaticflight

RE: Diamond Aircraft To Be Manufactured In Croatia

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:31 am

will believe it when I see it. But Varazdin has a good location. Near Austria, Hungary, Slovenia and Zagreb. However does croatia have any experience with producing aircraft parts?

TripleDelta
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:47 am

adriaticflight: well what was produced before in Yugoslavia is all lost now, so it's a "clean sheet" start. Though as far as I know, some hydraulic pumps for smaller Airbuses were or still are manufactured in the city of Karlovac, but I'll look that up to be sure. However, the article says that in the first few months, groups of about 30 employees will be sent to Diamond plants in Austria for schooling purposes. The factory technology at Varazdin will, I assume, be Austrian, or at any rate the same quality as they use in their other factories.

Also, Varazdin primarily won the contest just because of its location (and possibly the fact that it's an under-used airfield with potential). Other possible sites included Hungary, China, the Czech Republic and Russia.
No plane, no gain.

adriaticflight

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:55 am

Well. It is always good to see croatia developing new industries. Do you think Varazdin will ever take comerical traffic? Summer charters to Split/Dubrovnik etc?

TripleDelta
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:12 am

Before it can take any traffic above GA, it has to have its facilities upgraded - cause there basically are none (though the runway is in my opinion excellent).

However, given that it does develop, it might not only take charters, but I'd be willing to bet even regular traffic. Down at the coast, I saw a lot of Hungarian tourists who came by cars - and that's no easy trip either, even to the nearest coastal resorts (something like 7-8 hours I think Budapest - Pula (LDPL) for example). Given the nearness of Varazdin to Hungary and the good rail transport links in that region, Varazdin could be a nice stopover point where the weary traveler, too poor to afford a "regular" aircraft ticket, could jump off the train and onto a small, low-cost aircraft and reach any popular destination within an hour or so, without the fuss of long driving hours on frequently bad roads and lack of parking space at the destination. However, CTN's fleet is already strained as it is, so unless a new carrier, regular or LCC, comes around, or CTN buys more regional turboprops, I don't think we'll see any drastic increase in commercial traffic at LDVA.
No plane, no gain.