jetpixx

Fifth Freedom Flights

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:44 am

I have not had the pleasure of taking a flight on an airline such as Cathay Pacific from YVR-JFK or Pakistan Int'l from ORD-MAN. Does anyone know if airlines charge more for the luxury of enjoying their services, if they match fares on popular routes or what the service is like. I recently read about these types of flights, such as Air Tahiti Nui's 340 service between LAX-CDG. It is good stuff that you can fly on an international carrier, but enjoy their unique service. It went on to mention that service that we take for granted, such as NW 320s, are a real treat to people travelling from NRT to places like MNL, etc.

ConcordeBoy

RE: Fifth Freedom Flights

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:56 am

Depends on the airline and what they offer.

Take Air India from LHR to ORD/JFK for example. Many choose to patronize their service since they charge so much LESS than AA/UA/BA/VS in premium classes.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ETStar

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:59 am

Generally, I see that airlines with 5th freedom rights do match fares offered by the carries of the two points they serve. I have seen competitive prices on SQ's FRA-NYC, Phillipine's discontinued YVR-SFO flight that forced AC, AS and UA to slash their fares on those days that PR flew the route (about 3x per week), Ethiopian's BKK-HKG and BKK-CAN which is half what others offer to name a few...

And if anyone cares to know, it now costs less to fly from London to New York than to fly Vancouver to Las Vegas (both return)! When will we be libereated?

globetrekker

Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:10 pm

I used to enjoy SQ AMS-EWR flights when they still operated it. It was a 747-400 and you get SQ's superb services. The fares were very competitve comparing to KL/NW and CO flights.

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

AirAmericaC46

Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:33 pm

I will be flying Emirates EK HKG-BKK next month and it is the cheapest fare: $180 compared to very high priced CX and TG. I heard business class on KQ on this route is even cheaper than the economy fares of CX and TG!!