njdevilsin03

Airtran Goes With Sarasota!

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:56 pm

717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

7e72004

RE: Airtran Goes With Sarasota!

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:58 pm

That is cool...now only if AirTran will come to IND!!!  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

dutchjet

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:02 am

Good news, Sarasota has been hoping for low fare services for a long time, and seems to be losing out to nearby RSW, MCO and TPA, so this is progress for that airport. AirTran will do well here, they are already well established on ATL/BWI-Florida routes and service to Sarasota will add to existing schedules and destinations.

ERJ170

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:04 am

What were the other choices for service? The cities that Sarasota beat?
Aiming High and going far..

John

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:16 am

SRQ traffic tends to be very 'seasonal' and is only 40 miles south of TPA. I think this is a bold move for FL and I wish them luck..we'll see how they do.

MAH4546

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:18 am

What were the other choices for service? The cities that Sarasota beat

There aren't any. Sarasota got this because Sarasota won a $1.5M government grant to subsidize this service.
a.

7e72004

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:19 am

How far is SRQ from RSW?

ERJ170

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:20 am

In a poll conducted on http://www.airtran.com earlier this year, Sarasota-Bradenton received the most votes of cities where AirTran Airways travelers would like to see lower fares added through new service.

There aren't any. Sarasota got this because Sarasota won a $1.5M government grant to subsidize this service.

Then someone is lying on the newswire.. it said there was a poll...

quickmover

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:23 am

"SRQ traffic tends to be very 'seasonal' and is only 40 miles south of TPA. I think this is a bold move for FL and I wish them luck..we'll see how they do. "

I don't know, with a $1.5 mil grant to subsidize, it can't be too much of a risk this winter. Is Delta the big player down there now? Probably with widebodys like everywhere else in Florida.

Clipper002

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:27 am

SRQ is halfway between TPA and RSW with I-75 connecting all 3. Sarasota as well as Ft. Myers have always been very seasonal with flight reductions in the summer and additions for the winter. A lot of mid-western retirees in both places play the snowbird game each fall and spring.

Ed
Ed

PHLBOS

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:27 am

it said there was a poll...

Earlier this year, AirTran did indeed feature a 'pick a city' poll on its website. I'm not sure whether FL ever posted the results of this poll on their website.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

7e72004

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:28 am

I am still waiting for WN to invade RSW  Big grin

MAH4546

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:57 am

Then someone is lying on the newswire.. it said there was a poll...

Oh yeah, that poll. They put a pull on the airTran website where you could vote for tons of cities. The list was endless, there were at least two dozen.

Though, regardless of the fact if Sarasota "won" the poll or not (could be true, more likely it is a marketing gimmick), the only reason airTran is going to Sarasota is because of a $1.5M grant.
a.

ERJ170

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:02 am

Agreed, probably just a corporate "ploy", but I'm still interested, what were the other cities?

And why hasn't F9 added service at RDU? Newport News has about 4 destinations, and RDU only has one. Dangit!

LambertMan

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:03 am

Didn't Omaha win the poll?

MAH4546

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:06 am

Agreed, probably just a corporate "ploy", but I'm still interested, what were the other cities?

Just about every large and midsize city in the United States that airTran doesn't serve...Omaha, Sarasota, Konxville, Cincinnati, Cleveland....the list went on and on and on.

Newport News has about 4 destinations, and RDU only has one. Dangit!

Because Raleigh isn't the centre of the universe. Newport News is an underserved market in which airTran was able to fill a service void successfully. Raleigh is a market that is well served by plenty of US airline in which there is no void that airTran deems nessecary to fill.
a.

ERJ170

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:08 am

Because Raleigh isn't the centre of the universe.

Uhmm... okay...  Pissed

Since AirTran doesn't serve GSO anymore, and GSO was their CLT alternative, what's the likelyhood of AirTran now service CLT?

727LOVER

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:26 pm

I don't know, with a $1.5 mil grant to subsidize, it can't be too much of a risk this winter. Is Delta the big player down there now? Probably with widebodys like everywhere else in Florida.

DL has NEVER scheduled widebodies into SRQ.. Pissed

How far is SRQ from RSW?

90 miles or so

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the diffrence in the RSW market and the SRQ market... Confused cause I DON'T SEE ANY!!!!!!

oh...and YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!! This is the best news Mr. Piccolo has had in a long time
Love Trumps Hate

moman

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:33 pm

I'm willing to bet that AirTran leaves SRQ as soon as the grant money dries up. SRQ is getting squeezed between RSW and TPA, even though they have a nice little facility there.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

BR715-A1-30

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:37 pm

I'm still waiting for FL to start SAT service from ATL. And while they are looking at that, why not go super bold and do DFW-SAT ::ducks:: MAUH HA HA HA HA. I would like to see GPT-SAT service with FL. I would be one of the inaugural passengers.
Puhdiddle

kcrwflyer

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:40 pm

RDU isnt the centre of the universe, thank god. Some are worse with talking about it than i am CRW and that says something... and with PHF, they seem to be strong. As previously said, They saw the market and took a fig at it and practically found a gold mine.

How much longer untill its a proven fact that you can fly a plane to anywhere in FL. and the route will prosper?

moman

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:06 pm

There was an article in one of the local papers in TPA about SRQ and how airlines always start service when they get grant money and discountinue it once the money runs out. I can't remember which ones but I think it was DL and ATA. TWA used to fly there at one point from STL as well. I stand by my earlier statement that SRQ is not a big enough market, yet.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

CMHSRQ

Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:38 pm

from 727lover
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the diffrence in the RSW market and the SRQ market... cause I DON'T SEE ANY!!!!!!

I expected you to know the answer to this one 727. Look at a map. RSW is a minimum 2 hour drive from a major airport (FLL or TPA) So they aren't in the shadow of a major airport with LLC service. RSW has a larger catchment area then SRQ that isn't overlapping with another airport. RSW has a long long runway, planes can depart full on hot days. I'm not sure if the 9500ft runway in SRQ limits that but I promise you the 7000 ft runway did. There are estimates that more people (greater then 50%) that live and visit the Sarasota area use TPA. Look at the pax numbers over the past 15 years, They had more pax use SRQ in 1990 then in 2003 by a significant margin. However the population of the area has exploded.

from Moman
I'm willing to bet that AirTran leaves SRQ as soon as the grant money dries up. SRQ is getting squeezed between RSW and TPA, even though they have a nice little facility there.

I don't think so, in fact I think the exact opposite will happen, they will realize what a great market it is and add flights and destinations. I worked ramp and ops in SRQ for 5 years. I looked at all those bag tags and know that SRQ could easliy support a daily to LGA, PHL, MDW, in addition to ATL and BWI. I bet a thousand additional seats could be filled in the summer and 2500 a day in March, the demand is that great.
The voice of moderation

kkfla737

Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:08 am

The more people I speak to from the Sarasota area, the more fed up they are with driving to Tampa or Fort Myers to fly. I think FL will do fine with these new routes, and perhaps SRQ will get more new service soon. In the past the market was not large enough to accomodate many airlines, but Sarasota and Manatee counties have had exceptional growth in the past 10 years both in population and new businesses.

BH

Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:05 am

FL just had an article saying that there initial bookings have been so strong that they are already considering adding additional cities. They noted that most of these bookings are along with the holiday season but they are still extremley impressed with the bookings. Sarasota officials have also voiced thier excitement of this news in the article. I will try to find a link for you all.

BH

Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:17 am

Here it is...
www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/9845948.htm

sorry i cant get the link to show so this is the best i could do.

[Edited 2004-10-09 03:19:23]

OttoPylit

Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:41 am

"The public has asked for lower fares to Sarasota-Bradenton, and we're pleased to be able to offer this new service while bringing down fares in this market," AirTran Airways President and COO Bob Fornaro said."

The report did not include the rest of Fornaro's sentence. I believe it went along the lines of, "...bringing down fares in this market, which doesn't matter one bit since we raped the DOT of 1.5 million in subsidies. I would just like to thank and remind Gov. Bush to keep them coming, because when the subsidies stop coming, we stop coming, just like TLH, GSO, and TOL."

Hell, if the government is in the mood for passing out cash given the state of the economy, give some to the other carriers in SRQ and they will be more than happy to lower fares.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

kim777fan

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:02 am

"Accessible and affordable air service remains essential to our region's economic health and quality of life, particularly as we continue to experience exponential growth," U.S. Representative Katherine Harris said."

Katherine Harris, huh? Isn't she the Florida ex Secretary of State demonized as the Daughter of Satan in the whole "Count all the votes" deal in Florida 4 years ago??

I thought she was going to have to go into hiding and never be able to run for elected office ever again. I guess people were wrong about that. Maybe W cut a backdoor deal to get Sarasota the air service ahead of more worthy competitors. The conspiracy theories are endless!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:25 am

SRQ - TPA = 40 miles
SRQ - RSW = 77 miles

From ATL Delta operates CRJ and 738 equipment
From CVG Delta operates CRJ and 732 equipment

Otto is probably right, watch AirTran take the money and run after they find thay cant make jack in that market.

And yes, I hear Katherine Harris has had a lot of "backdoor deals"  Big grin

B

luv2fly

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:36 am

AirTran if they do leave SRQ once the money is gone will not be the only airline to do this! AA just left DLH I believe it is once the money ran out. So even the Big dogs are not perfect....
You can cut the irony with a knife

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:44 am

AirTran if they do leave SRQ once the money is gone will not be the only airline to do this! AA just left DLH I believe it is once the money ran out. So even the Big dogs are not perfect....

True, but AirTran is notorious for it.

Plus all this talk about FL coming in and saving the day with it's low fares is not accurate. Delta's fares are very reasonable. A quick check on delta.com and I found one way fares of $99 from ATL, and $168 rt from CVG early next month.

Delta has 8 round trips a day from ATL and 5 from CVG.

B

OttoPylit

Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:46 pm

"AirTran if they do leave SRQ once the money is gone will not be the only airline to do this! AA just left DLH I believe it is once the money ran out. So even the Big dogs are not perfect...."

Very good point, although I really don't get it. Why would someone offer subsidies to a major(AA) when another major(NW) already has the market staked? Majors usually do not compete in small markets, the both set their prices the same and then sit back, let the customer choose who they want to fly between them.

Before subsidies were mentioned, was FL even giving SRQ a thought? Nope. It wasn't until Florida says, "OK, how much is it going to cost us?" Thats when Airtran responded with, "Now your speaking our language." I hear that there are many unhappy passengers in TLH who feel a little betrayed with Airtran just packing up and leaving so suddenly, especially when they were doing "so well." Face it, 1.5 mil a year is more than enough to keep a station viable even if they don't carry the first passenger out of SRQ. All the other airlines seem to be doing well out of SRQ without subsidies, so I see no need to worry. In 3 years, when the subsidy piggybank is empty, FL will pack up and leave, dropping loyal employees and passengers like a leper drops body parts.

CMHSRQ

Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:32 pm

SRQ 10 years ago, Delta to TPA, CVG, ATL and BOS on the weekends, Usairways to LGA, PHL, PIT and CLT, Continental to EWR and CLE, NWA to DTW, TWA to STL, AA Eagle to MIA, Air Sunshine to FLL, USairways express, and Comair to MCO. ATA to FLL, MIA, IND, MDW. plus several random charters in the winter to Canada EH!. all the majors flew mainline aircraft

Today: Delta to ATL and CVG, UsAirways express to CLT, ATA to IND and MDW, Continental to EWR, NWA in the winter only to DTW. Oh yea COA express to TPA and IAH. a good mix of RJ's and mainline

Plus if you check frequencies which have also dropped significantly. SRQ has tried lowering landing fees, offering no landing fees for any new airline or new non-stop destinations for a year, and several other things So screw the other airlines, SRQ tried so many things to get added services and all the airlines did was cut cut cut. By the way Florida didn't provide the grant, the DOT did, 3 other airports in FL tried to get it and failed. This was also SRQ's 3rd attempt to obtain the grant. the 1.5 mil was matched by another 2.5 mil from the local airport and Manatee and Sarasota counties. Most in the form of waived landing fees, advertising, etc. So the total package was 4 million or so. Let me ask a question, If you were planning on entering a market which you knew would be good would you do it? Of course you would, but what if I told you that if you waited we will promise bookings and lower fees to the tune of 4 million over 2 years? Would you wait? Of course you would. I know Airtran will do great in SRQ, the market is starving for it. I fully expect them to add flights as well.

The voice of moderation

CMHSRQ

Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:34 pm

Oh yea, Katherine Harris is only Satan if your a democrat, if your a republican then she is a saint. lol
The voice of moderation

bonanzaair

Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:22 pm

Everyone always complains about Airtran taking the money and running when it's gone. Hello! - Airtran is in business to make money. Those 717 don't pay for themselves. If after the terms of the contract to stay are met and the right mix of loads weren't there, there is only one thing to do left to do....leave.

Does this work everytime? No...ask TOL, THL. But ask ICT or CAK how great it can be. Airtran has actually worked with ICT to stay. Yes the city offered more money, but it was small potatoes to the saving in airfares and future growth to the region.

I believe service to GSO was dropped for future play at CLT.

Bonanza

OttoPylit

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:12 am

Bonanza,

Airtran is in business to make money. But it makes money at the expense of the passengers. For instance, lets say you live in Valdosta, GA. ASA is the only airline flying into VLD. Let's say that suddenly Airtran announced they were going to fly in there because they were recieving a subsidy to do so. You hop on the FL bandwagon because air fares are going to be lower. You start flying FL and join their FF program, whatever it is. Then, when you are halfway to your free trips, they suddenly pull out of VLD, citing not enough traffic to sustain profit(not to mention the subsidies were also dropped). Now you are screwed. You gave your loyalty to an airline who swore they were coming in because there was a profit in VLD and they wanted to offer the customers a low fare choice. Now they have their cash and are out of there, leaving you high and dry. You still going to have respect for an airline that just burned you? Its kind of like a bank taking your money and then going out of business.

"Yes the city offered more money, but it was small potatoes to the saving in airfares and future growth to the region."

Yea, but those savings cancel out by your tax money being given to FL.

luv2fly

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:31 am

OK so who is guilty here? FL for taking the money and leaving once it ran out, or the airport for giving it without a plan of action? I mean the airport can give these incentives to attract new carriers though if the carrier does its part of the contract and still fails then why are they the bad guy in this picture.
You can cut the irony with a knife

BH

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:42 am

Ottopylit,

Well what about the people that live there that cannot afford the current price of flying on other carriers. They are happy that they can just get a chance to go somewhere for once without breaking there bank. A quick review of your posts clearly shows your bias for delta which obviously is influencing your replies. And obviously SRQ is not happy with the current service that certain airlines are providing so they are pursuing others. For running away with money FL has a contract to abide by, so they must stay for a perscribed time that the city has negotiated. After that they can do what they want to. Bottom line SRQ did what they wanted to and they know and set the terms of the contract so they are obviously happy with it.

For delta's fares being low now, that is a response to FL starting service. Yes FL doesnt start service until december so they are trying to lure in as many people now as they can. It would be interesting to see what a ticket cost a couple months ago.

travatl

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:18 pm

The problem are the pax in the market. They want the low fares that come with the low cost carrier, but they want them on the major their used to.

So these people merrily sing the praises of low cost carriers "lowering fares", all the while they continue to fly out on Delta. Then suddenly cry foul when the LCC pulls out. NO LCC, or legacy for that matter, is going to continue to put airplanes in markets where it can't turn a profit, if they can put that airplane somewhere else where they can, especially in this environment.

I worked the TLH flights OFTEN while AirTran was there, and NEVER had more than 25 people on a flight. Yet everytime I went through, I'd see a DL 738 or MD80 parked with a full gate ready to board. My only sympathies in the cases of markets where AirTran has pulled out after a travel bank was exhausted, rest with the employees. It's a shame, but it's also the risk you take opening a new station. Happened to me once at AA. Oh well............

Travis

bonanzaair

RE: Airtran Goes With Sarasota! - Ottopylit

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:47 pm

Ottopylit,

"Airtran is in business to make money. But it makes money at the expense of the passengers."

No....Airtran's expense comes from flying 717's to cities with or without subsidy. The good people of any city make a choice in their flying habits. Apparently in TOL and TLH the choice was to fly the cheap fares of Airtran, but the Business class or last minute fares still went to a different airline. It was the good people of TOL and TLH that made that choice, just as CAK make the choice to fly Airtran. Airtran has rewarded CAK for that loyalty with more flights and non-stop destinations, just as Airtran rewarded TOL and TLH for brand loyality.

"Yea, but those savings cancel out by your tax money being given to FL. "

Not actually. The city/state estimates that the business climate in the region has benefited to the tune of $98million for $8million in subsidies.

Bonanza

quickmover

Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:35 pm

According to this article, the intial bookings are so strong that they are considering additional service to NY and PHL.

ps I hope this link copys right. For some reason, I can't seem to make a link transfer on this site.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/9845948.htm

Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:46 pm

For delta's fares being low now, that is a response to FL starting service. Yes FL doesnt start service until december so they are trying to lure in as many people now as they can. It would be interesting to see what a ticket cost a couple months ago

Incorrect. Those fares have been in the system since back in May.

B

727LOVER

Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:51 am

I expected you to know the answer to this one 727. Look at a map. RSW is a minimum 2 hour drive from a major airport (FLL or TPA) So they aren't in the shadow of a major airport with LLC service. RSW has a larger catchment area then SRQ that isn't overlapping with another airport

It's not like they JUST built SRQ. It's been between TPA and FMY/RSW for over 50 years. Why is it different NOW???? FLL doesn't seem to suffer between PBI and MIA does it?

After deregulation, SRQ and FMY/RSW really expanded greatly. The other small markets in Florida did not as much. (GNV, TLH, DAB, MLB, PNS, PFN, VBS) During the next decade we were served by Eastern, Pan Am/National, Delta, United, American, Ozark/ TWA, People Express/Continental, Northwest, North Central/Republic, Altair, Florida Express/Braniff II, Midway, Pride Air, USAir. In April 1990, SRQ had 58 daily jet departures...58! Then as the 90's progressed carriers reduced flights and/or left altogether.

If this is a low-fare market, then why don't the LCC offshoots come in here? Metrojet, Song, Ted, Delta Express

I really don't get it.  Confused

The market has grown substanially......yet the # of flights has decreased significantly...resulting in reduced pax traffic and higher fares. My buddy Rocco is a PERFECT example. When he flies somewhere, he doesn't even check flights out of SRQ. He always uses TPA because he automatically assumes the EVERY SINGLE fare out of SRQ is more expensive.
Love Trumps Hate

OttoPylit

Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:44 am

"Well what about the people that live there that cannot afford the current price of flying on other carriers. They are happy that they can just get a chance to go somewhere for once without breaking there bank."

Has it ever occurred to the airports/local govt's to try and work with the airlines in order to get airfares lowered? I am sure that if Florida offered DL/ASA "X" amount of money a year to lower airfares in Gainesville, it would be done. Instead, they are going to try and lure in an airline that only flies airplanes that have overcapacity and wouldn't make money on the route anyway unless there were the subsidies. Its pointless because the new airline would only stay there as long as the money was being handed out.

"A quick review of your posts clearly shows your bias for delta which obviously is influencing your replies."

Actually, you are right AND wrong. I am an employee of Delta and wish for my company to do well, who doesn't? Yet, I am also a former employee of Airtran and am partly embarrassed to admit it. I don't like how the airline is run and how the employees are treated like cow dung just in order to turn a profit. There are some great employees at Airtran, but there are not many that I have come across. Lastly, and MOST importantly, I wonder why while we have a crappy economy, government organizations are throwing out millions in order to get new airlines into unsustainable markets. That isn't capitalism. That isn't the laws of supply-and-demand at work. That isn't making a company throw their own weight, its nothing more than a crutch, if that. Listen, if Airtran can make a profit in SRQ(without subsidies), then they are more than welcome to fly there. If they can't, stay on the porch. If they can fly into TLH profitably, then do it. If not, then stay out. Don't be willing to fly into cities unless those cities are willing to throw some cash your way, and when the flow of subsidized cash stops, you stop. Because in the end, who hurts? The employees of that airline and the customers who gave that airline their business and hard earned cash. THAT one reason is why I speak against it.

Bonanza,

"just as Airtran rewarded TOL and TLH for brand loyality."

What reward? Pulling out? Thats a reward? I don't know what your definition of rewards is, but pulling out of a city and decreasing competition for those customers is not loyalty, it is screwing those customers out of a choice of air travel and lower fares. Airtran leaving TOL and TLH basically told the customers that if the gov't won't keep the money flowing, we refuse to fly in and lower fares, plain and simple. Brand loyalty don't mean crap if you can't use the brand anymore.

Take care,

Otto

gsoflyer

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:21 am

They left a market where they made money to put planes where they will make more. That's a plan I can respect.

Playing on the government to take tax dollars and then jumping ship when the tax dollars stop rolling in isn't something I can respect. If it's not a viable route, then there shouldn't be service: end of story. But if they take government dollars to get on their feet, then they owe something to that public for at least a while, you don't jump ship immediately.

I just don't respect Airtran, they play local governments to get money more often than not.

But hey, that's fine, with IAir and Jetblue and probably Southwest coming to GSO, Airtran would have been choked out of the airport.

BH

Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:30 am

Well FL is doing what anyone would do. If someone said "Hey bud i'll give you $500 if you give me a certain service for a certain amount of time", where you would normally not do this, wouldnt you knowing that you are going to make money no matter what? I wouldnt blame any airline or any company for taking advantage of that proposal. As long as they keep on giving out money why not take it and give them what they want for the term of the contract.

"Has it ever occurred to the airports/local govt's to try and work with the airlines in order to get airfares lowered? I am sure that if Florida offered DL/ASA "X" amount of money a year to lower airfares in Gainesville, it would be done."

I'm sure they have.Not to use DL/ASA as an example, But if the airport approaches other airlines they are either trying to diversify their collage of carriers or they are not happy with the current performace of the current airlines operating. I'm not bashing any airline it is just sometimes you need to try something different and take chances to help you city grow. This is obviously what SRQ is doing and I am sure they are well aware of FL actions at other citys where they have pulled out. So they must not be concerned with that.

bonanzaair

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:00 pm

Ottopylit -

"What reward? Pulling out? Thats a reward? I don't know what your definition of rewards is, but pulling out of a city and decreasing competition for those customers is not loyalty, it is screwing those customers out of a choice of air travel and lower fares"

Yes....Airtran rewarded TOL and THL the same way those cities rewarded Airtran by buying Business Class tickets and last minute high price walk up fares from DAL. Where was the loyality to Airtran when that was going on. Airtran didn't leave because they were making money. This was a partnership between the city and Airtran. The city and it's people didn't live up to their side of the deal.

Also, because you purchased a lotto ticket does that mean you are going to win? Of course not....it's a gamble. Airtran took a chance on TOL and TLH. The people of those cities just didn't play. It's TOL and TLH fault Airtran left....not the other way around.

Bonanza

rumorboy

Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:57 pm

"I am also a former employee of Airtran and am partly embarrassed to admit it. I don't like how the airline is run and how the employees are treated like cow dung just in order to turn a profit."

Let me tell you something tough guy, Were all going to have a party here in a couple a weeks when you guys go CH.11. You guys have to be be the most araggant employees the industry has. You think your crap doesn't stink? Please.....Its because of your NASTY customer service that Airtran is thriving and you guys are DIEING. For years you guys treated us like crap. Even though were in the same industry. I saw how you treated the Eastern employees and then treated the Valujet guys when they were shut down. What comes around goes around buddy. I will come visit you when you and about 70,000 of your best friends are on the unemployment line. I have no sympathy for you guys at all. I will be at the court house cheering.

"Lastly, and MOST importantly, I wonder why while we have a crappy economy, government organizations are throwing out millions in order to get new airlines into unsustainable markets. That isn't capitalism. "

You mean proping up airlines like Usair who got 1 billion in loans from the goverment. If your airline wasn't raping consumers for 75 years then there wouldn't be a need for the airtrans, jetblues or southwests but because YOUR airline likes to gouge the consumer as much as possible they are around and its because of this your airline will fail. Why can't you guys just lower the fares? It costs more to fly from ATL-MCN than it does to ATL-LAX. Why? You want to squeeze as much out the consumer as possible. Even if the the fares are unreasonable.

"There are some great employees at Airtran, but there are not many that I have come across."

Can't say that about any Delta employee.

bonanzaair

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:39 pm

Rumorboy -

Did you get it out of your system......... I don't disagree with most of what you said, but did you get it out of your system?

Remember, lasting longer has it's own rewards.

Bonanza

OttoPylit

Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:14 am

Rumorboy,

I doubt that you are a pilot(as it states in your profile) because I would not expect such childish remarks to come from someone with such a respectable job. I will answer this one post from you, but until you can keep from screaming bad names and adolescent verbiage, you should not expect another reply. To be honest, I really don't know where to start.

From what you write, you just seem to be more jealous or just plain pissed off more than anything. If that is so, don't take it out on me, take it up with who it needs to be taken up with. I could care less who you work for, I treat all my folks with the utmost respect. When I worked in JAX, there are a lot of FL pilots who live there and would jumpseat out on DL and I would pull some pretty nifty things to make sure they could get on the plane, since they can no longer sit up in the cockpit. Anytime I carry an OAL nonrev on my flights, I treat them with the same care, if not more, than revenue passengers.

And if BK comes around, cheer all you want and throw your little party. You think it changes anything? We will still be here, just away from bill collectors. If you want to go throw sucker punches at someone, take a flight out to DFW and say it to those 300 folks, and let me know when how many times you get bitch-slapped. I did not work here during EA or VJ days, so I cannot speculate on that. Besides, from the way you are acting, do you expect NOT to be treated like crap? Really?

"You mean proping up airlines like Usair who got 1 billion in loans from the goverment. "

No, I mean offering airlines to come into markets where the profit is unsustainable. If DL can barely make it with an RJ, why does FL expect to do it with a 717? Read more posts above to get the point.

"If your airline wasn't raping consumers for 75 years...YOUR airline likes to gouge the consumer as much as possible they are around and its because of this your airline will fail."

Well, then we have been failing for 75 years apparently. Thats a pretty good record. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Delta is not dead. USAir is dead, but not Delta. Maybe having pilots that don't want to give up the 1 million dollar pension, but certainly not dead. Besides, all of my Silver, Gold, and Platinum Medallion passengers don't seem to mind being "gouged." In fact, most are happier than ever right now, so if the shoe fits...

"It costs more to fly from ATL-MCN than it does to ATL-LAX. Why?"

Simple economics. If the city cannot support sufficient service, then the fares will be high enough to cover the cost of the flight. Until we can start flying Cessna Caravans with $5/hr pilots into MCN, the fares will stay high, or until more people fly out of MCN to support lowering fares. You work in this industry, so YOU should know YOUR job.

"Can't say that about any Delta employee."

As you have proven, you are one of the many employees of Airtran that I have seen that is not a great employee.

Now, until you can start acting a little more mature for your age and stick to the topic at hand instead of rattling off, then do not expect another reply from me. This is a whole 13 minutes of my life wasted replying to your post. 13 minutes where I could have done something MUCH more constructive.