BG001
Topic Author

Foreign Airline With US Domestic Traffic Rights?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:28 am

I am think of QF(LAX-JFK),SV(JFK-IAD-MCO),and BA(IAH-ORD) flies domestic here in the USA. I learned about BA not having traffic rights but how about the other two? Are there any more domectic flights by any foreign airlines here in the US?

MS stopped the JFK-LAX route, right?

BG001
Topic Author

RE: Foreign Airline With US Domestic Traffic Rights?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:29 am

I meant to type I can instead of I am. Sorry about that.

macmac76

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:31 am

Add CI's IAH-SEA route to your list. CI has no traffic rights on this route. As for the others your listed, I really don't know.

zrs70

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:35 am

No foreign carriers have domestic passenger rights within the US (though there are some connecting rights. Example: I believe one can fly QF LAX-JFK, and then continue on BA to LHR. But don't quote me on this!)

There are, of course, carriers that can fly US-Canada, such as CX and LY.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

dtwclipper

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:36 am

Neither BA or QF have domestic rights in the US. They may fly between IAH and ORD, but they can carry no domestic traffic.

No airline other than a US carrier may trasport Passengers within the US.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

PhilSquares

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:39 am

There are no foreign airlines that have domestic traffic rights in the US. There are exceptions. I think there is an exemption on cabatoge from ANC to to JFK. If I remember correctly either CI or KE or both have traffic rights from ANC-JFK-ANC. I don't know if the traffic rights are still in effect. However, several years ago, those airlines were given traffic rights due to the limited pax service in and out of ANC.
Fly fast, live slow

miaskies

Not sure if this route has domestic traffic rights but it does have connecting rights:

LTU airlines

DUSSELDORF - FT.MYERS - MIAMI - DUSSELDORF on an A332
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

BG001
Topic Author

Last year I saw a pic the datebase and the picture was taken on SV 744 while flying JFK-MCO via IAD and that person did write that he was flying domestic on JFK-MCO route.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:40 am

I think there is an exemption on cabatoge from ANC to to JFK

...for cargo
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

dtwclipper

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:44 am

"he was flying domestic on JFK-MCO"

Not possible, unless he boarded that aircraft outside of the US.

Airlines may make stops, for example BA used to operate DTW-IAD-LHR. But you could not fly them DTW-IAD.

At one time, BA flew DTW-YUL-LHR, and seats were available for sale on the DTW-YUL sector.

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

HPA320

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:02 am

Well,

I just checked on my system and the segment ANC-JFK wich CI is open for sale.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TTT

America West Airlines. 1983-2005. The Journey Continues...

masseybrown

RE: Foreign Airline With US Domestic Traffic Right

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:06 am

There are some common instances of cabotage in the cargo world. Antonov, with their monster planes, is routinely allowed to carry super-sized cargo between US cities. In the cite below, NW is "sharing" cargo hauling with a foreign airline between ANC and another US point under certain circumstances.

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_aviationdaily_story.jsp?id=news/NWA10054.xml

roseflyer

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:17 am

The law against foreign airlines carrying US passengers between domestic locatoins extends beyond the states and into territories of the US as well. I know a few years ago Asiana Airlines was fined a couple million dollars for advertising service from Saipan and Guam to the US lower 48 via SEL. ItIt was a quick way to go, but illegal. Things get very tricky in the Pacific Islands because CO has a complete monopoly and it is difficult to get around the laws (unlike WN at DAL for example, where two tickets will do you fine for the states outside the Wright Amendment).
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

FlyCaledonian

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:52 am

QF can pick up passengers on their SYD-LAX-JFK flight at LAX who have arrived on QF from BNE, MEL or AKL and who are travelling on to JFK, and vice versa, but cannot pick passengers up who are originating in the US, i.e. to fly LAX-JFK or return. Interestingly any passengers must have cleared immingration at LAX before travelling to JFK (LAX being the point of entry), so in effect LAX-JFK is a domstic flight but obviously cannot be sold as such, being for international connecting travel only.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

N1120A

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:55 am

You might see a foreign airline selling codeshare tickets on a US domestic flight. The reason OZ got fined was because they were carrying US citizens between US cities. They had to pay back what they made on the US citizens on that flight. Also, the connection thing is possible, but you are being transported through the US to other countries, not actually buying travel in the US. QF, for example, can sell a stopover in LA to an Aussie customer going SYD/MEL-LAX-JFK, but cannot sell someone in the US a flight on the LAX JFK segment.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss