SNATH
Topic Author

AC YYZ-YVR, Any Food?

Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:18 am

Hi everyone,

I'll be flying BOS-YYZ-YVR on AC in less than two weeks and I was wondering
whether they will serve any food during the YYZ-YVR legs. Thanks.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

ETStar

RE: AC YYZ-YVR, Any Food?

Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:26 am

The last few flights I flew had food on YYz-YVR, but it might depend on the time of day. I flew evenings, so we had hot dinner served.

spyderz

Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:18 am

Everytime I've flown this flight I've had full meal service. If its anywhere close to dinner you'll get Air Canada's specialty - chicken.

SafeFlyer

Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:10 am

Yes indeed, Air Canada will provide you with a complimentary hot meal, whenever the time of the day on that route.

SNATH
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:11 am

ETStar and Spyderz,

Thanks for the replies!

Tony

B747-437B

Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:14 am

There will be food. Take my advice and don't eat it.  Smile

Thats the pathetic offering of vinegary bean salad, soggy rice, tasteless chicken, crunchy potatoes, watery beans and a cold bread roll that I was offered on my last flight on the route.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

SNATH
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:37 am

Hey B747-437B,

What are you talking about????  Confused This looks lovely!  Nuts

Tony  Wink/being sarcastic

Dash8King

Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:18 am

On my YYZ-YEG flight on both legs They offered cold mel which I believe was greek a salad, a poppyseed muffin and something else. I turned it down both times. They do offer a movie though.

CanadianNorth

Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:46 pm

I flew YYZ-YVR in may (late afternoon flight, operated by an A330), and I got food....

CanadianNorth
HS-748, just like a 747 but better!

airbusfanyyz

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:11 pm

I think I have seen that exact meal more times than I'd like to remember.
I agree with Sean that it's horrible, you'd be better off to grab something from the terminal.

Cheers,
Kaz

longhauler

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:36 pm

That is one of the reasons that AC is in the process of removing meals from their longer domestic flights, and replacing them with Buy-on-board meals. Customers choose by price anyway, why give them a meal they dont want.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Pe@rson

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:41 pm

'Air Canada will provide you with a complimentary meal.'

Nooooo! You pay for it in your ticket, so it's not free or complimentary!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Arrow

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:49 pm

Doesn't AC have a non-stop from BOS to YVR? Why go through YYZ if you don't have to.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

SNATH
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:06 am

Again, thanks to everyone who replied. I will seriously consider getting some food
at YYZ before boarding!

Arrow,

I don't think they do. At least, nothing came up when I was searching for these
flights. I was offered a direct with someone else (could it be ATA? I can't remember).
But, it left at 6am and I simply refuse to get up at 3am to catch a flight. Have done
it many times in the past and it's not worth it.

Tony

VonRichtofen

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:04 am

Well I've never had the crunchy potato/tasteless chicken meal that Sean is talking about Big grin but most meals I've had on AC were quite good.

Jayce

Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:05 am

Arrow,

AC flies YVR-BOS non-stop during the summer months with A319 equipment. I think the flight time is something like 5 hours 16 minutes, which must be on the long side for an A319.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

SNATH
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:45 am

I think the flight time is something like 5 hours 16 minutes, which must be on the
long side for an A319.

Guess what? The YYZ-YVR leg will be in an A320 (the return is a A340 I think).
I've done YYZ-SFO in an A320 in the past too. Yes, it's not all the pleasant.
Give me a B767 any day...

But, Jayce, thanks for mentioning the direct BOS-YVR flight. I was not aware
that there was one.

Tony

BO__einG

Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:46 am

NO FOOD!

ITS STARVATION UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!..
Or you can plug your nose and eat whats posted above. Starting off with the hard crunchy bread.
Man, economy class meals.. No wonder I got allergies.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

EuroLeb

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:44 pm

That is one of the reasons that AC is in the process of removing meals from their longer domestic flights, and replacing them with Buy-on-board meals. Customers choose by price anyway, why give them a meal they dont want.

GOOD FOR THEM... GREAT MOVE INDEED, JUST TO PLEASE SOME OF YOU!

I can't seem to understand some of you guys, who are bitching and complaining about getting a hot meal service on a 'domestic' flight. For your information, Air Canada uses CARA, an airline/airport catering company which has been around for as long as I remember, and one of Canada's largest operator of restaurant chains... So, what makes Air Canada different from British Airways, KLM, Singapore Airlines, United and American Airlines (to name a few), all of whom have been using the services of CARA?

http://www.cara.com/corpinfo.html

I hope some of you won't start complaining about getting AEROPLAN reward miles from Air Canada!!!!!!!!!!!  Pissed

Calgary is my home...

jettatco

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:08 pm

not on zip, yes on mainline

VonRichtofen

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:53 pm

"not on zip, yes on mainline"

Zip doesn't exist anymore.

Carfield

Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:33 pm

Air Canada is pretty good in food... there are cutbacks, but I think a meal will be served regardless of times on YVR-YYZ routes... Hot meals will be offered pretty much from 6am till 7pm... but AC recently serves cold meals on the late night departures... I guess instead of "hot chicken with rice", you get "chicken salad"...

Carfield

FLYACYYZ

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 am

Right on EuroLeb!!
You don't get a meal you bitch, you do get a meal you also bitch. Many of the erroneous comparison are made with comparisons of SQ/CX and others in mind.
Lets compare apples to apples. Within the North American marketplace, AC's in-flight service is miles above anything that is offered by a US based carrier.

*Complementary Headsets on ALL flights & Video on all flights over 60 minutes
*Hot Breakfasts on 40 min flights between YYZ & YOW in J/C
*Hot Meals on all transcon and southern flights (incl BDA) in all classes
*Newspapers and Mags

SO THERE!
Above and Beyond

yyz717

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:24 am

Lets compare apples to apples. Within the North American marketplace, AC's in-flight service is miles above anything that is offered by a US based carrier.

AC is also the only NA airline that has received decades of subsidies and free cash from a federal govt. AC's market dominance is due to those decades of govt favouritism.

As for inflight service, the complaints about snooty and indifferent AC FA's abound on a daily basis.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

B747-437B

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:41 am

You don't get a meal you bitch, you do get a meal you also bitch.

Rod, some of us would rather have the option of buying a somewhat edible meal on board than having to settle for some half-assed crap like is served on most transcons nowadays. Air Canada's buy-on-board meals are gourmet compared to shit like the mystery chicken pictured.

If you're gonna do meal service at least pretend that you are trying. As it stands, the lack of edible food is a strike AGAINST Air Canada when picking an airline on the route. Yes, I'm a slave to Aeroplan so AC will pretty much win my business anyway, but I'd rather have the JetsGo turkey baguette for $5 than the slop AC dishes out for "free".

[Edited 2004-10-14 20:46:43]
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Dash8King

Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:42 am

can't seem to understand some of you guys, who are bitching and complaining about getting a hot meal service on a 'domestic' flight. For your information, Air Canada uses CARA, an airline/airport catering company which has been around for as long as I remember, and one of Canada's largest operator of restaurant chains... So, what makes Air Canada different from British Airways, KLM, Singapore Airlines, United and American Airlines (to name a few), all of whom have been using the services of CARA?

Not whining, but it wasnt good so I didn't take it simple as that. I was just glad I brought a sandwich I had bought. I was just happy to make the flight as it was a ZED fare. So in my mind I shouldn't get a meal unless there are extra anyways.

yyz717

Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:58 am

Yes, I'm a slave to Aeroplan so AC will pretty much win my business anyway,

Then AC will never improve Sean. Business travellers have to be willing to leave AC before AC will listen.

Until then, free slop, half-assed crap and mystery chicken served by aging & arrogant AC FA's will continue unabated........

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Lucky727

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:05 am

SNATH - you will get a meal, and you'll most likely have a choice : between chicken or lasagna. My advice is to get the lasagna, which isn't bad, versus the chicken, which will either be in a teriyaki sauce (waaaaay to salty!) or a sort of cheesy-casserole sauce (not so great, either).

The lasagna is actually pretty good.

Enjoy the flight  Big thumbs up
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

B747-437B

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:24 am

Business travellers have to be willing to leave AC before AC will listen

I have no wish to stop flying AC over an issue as silly as bad food on transcons. I will simply route myself with a connection in YWG or similar when time permits (so that I can get the buy-on-board meals), or else plan ahead and buy something at the airport. Air Canada's service is still far superior to that offered by the competition, not to mention that last I checked Jetsmiles couldn't be redeemed to Europe....

longhauler

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:24 am

AC is also the only NA airline that has received decades of subsidies and free cash from a federal govt. AC's market dominance is due to those decades of govt favouritism.

This is a common misconception among Canadians. If you look back at financial results starting at 1937 right to 1986/87 when Air Canada became a private corporation, you will see a different result than you infer. Add all the cash given to Air Canada over the 50 odd years, compare it to all the surplus that Air Canada earned over the 50 years, and you will see that Canada's government took more cash out of Air Canada, than they ever put in.

Favouritism? That's a tough one to prove, and some people think the exact opposite. However, right up until "Freedom to Move" (deregulation), Air Canada was always protected on profit earning routes, in exchange for maintaining a specified level of service on money losing remote routes. Or did you really thing that there was profit it flying a DC-9 to Yarmouth NS, Sydney NS, Stephenville NF, Timmins ON, etc etc etc.

Since deregulation however, Canada's skies have been open to any competition. Air Canada though, must still maintain some of the old services, and restrictions.

As for inflight service, the complaints about snooty and indifferent AC FA's abound on a daily basis.

In 2002, the last year with published results, Air Canada carried over 24 Million passengers. During that year, the ATAC, (the governing body) received only 608 complaints about Air Canada. Not a bad record. Like the fallacy of Air Canada receiving subsidies, this is more the stuff of "urban legend".
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos