hardiwv

TAP Flights To Brazil Increased To 38 Per Week!

Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:58 pm

TAP Airlines (from Portugal) increased frequencies to Brazil to 38 flights per week, TAP now has daily and direct flights from LIS to GRU, GIG, REC, SSA, FOR and 3 x week flights to NAT.

This makes TAP "THE" main European airliner between Europe and Brazil. TAP weathered the 09/11 aviation industry downturn, and since last year is closing its books on the blue.

Special credits should go to TAP's CEO Fernado Pinto (former RG CEO). As of March/05 TAP will officially join Star Alliance and will codeshare flights with RG. Well done TAP!

Hardi

erikwilliam

RE: TAP Flights To Brazil Increased To 38 Per Week!

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:01 am

Hardi, u´r a bad man, u haven´t left anything for me to say, ehehe.
All i can say is: anybody that can, should visit Brazilian NorthEast, it´s nice, warm and real cheap with the money convertion.

Big thumbs up
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

mozart

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:10 am

Great news! I really like TAP.

Is there anywhere I can find a route map or have a downloadable schedule?

Cheers

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:11 am

Erikwilliam:

That's why whenever possible I try to land there! I spent my last holidays in and around Recife (Porto de Galinhas, etc)...REALLY nice! And the chicas there are even better than in FLN  Smile

For your info, charter airline Martinair operates 2 x week on the route AMS-FOR with the 767; and charter HollandExcell operates 1 x week AMS-SSA-BPS also with the 767. Brazil is really "on fashion" here in Europe.

Lucky you!

Hardi

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:18 am

Mozart:

Agree with you. TAP is a good, simple, reliable airline! Always had positive experience with them.

I guess you could find TAP's timetable and route map on their wesbite. Below is TAP's portal for France:

http://www.tap-airportugal.fr/eportalFr/v10/FR/jsp/index.jsp

Take care,

Hardi

erikwilliam

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:27 am

Glad U like here man, couple of bad things but is a nice country.
Just remembered something:
My dad lives in Maceio MCZ, he moved up there about 7 years agor, about 6 months ago I was there and meet 3 TAP managers, and as mcz is also doing some work on the runway so it can have larger planes.
So maybe we´ll se Tap going to MCZ on a weekly basis, and in my opnion Maceio and the State of Alagoas have some of the most beautiful braches in the country.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

erikwilliam

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:30 am

sorry, my bad

braches=beaches, in Erik´s fast tiping mode  Big thumbs up

lima

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:01 am

Any possibility to add an additional city in Brazil in the future like Porto Alegre, Manaus, Brasilia or Belo Horizonte?

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:15 am

Lima:

As Erik stated above, possibly Maceio (MCZ) also in NE Brazil, as they are improving the aiport there (Erik, any news on the airport? I've heard is it will be really nice...).

TAP will stick to NE destinations in Brazil as they are closer to LIS and very popular with tourists...loads of Europeans are now buying their houses/properties in NE Brazil, thanks to TAP!

Photo 1: TAP 340-312 in GIG and; Photo 2: TAP 310-304 in REC

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruno David
View Large View Medium

Photo © Marco Antonio Silva

LIS to REC, for example, is only about 7h30min flying time!

erikwilliam

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:54 am

Lima: I wouldn´t place my money on these other cities, the NE is very Touristic as it´s hot almost yearround, not too much rain etc etc.
Maybe Manaus could be an option, and that would be a very good option since the Amazon forest can call for a numorous number of people.The problem os that hotels in the forest area are quite expansive, and Manaus as a city is just a city. Porto Alegre and Belo Horizonte are just regular cities, and Brasilia is the capital, not much to there besides business.

Hardi: I had a link but can´t find it, but I promisse I´ll look for it, from the photos I´ve seen, and the plan that they have inside the airport, with drawnings, scale pieces etc, the place is gonna be fantastic, just gotta wait and see it coming true. One thing for certain is that Infraero (federal airport agency) is doing reforms and upgrades in almost every major airport here, as CGH, SDU, BSB, REC, POA. GRU and GIG are on the list too.

Yeah, pretty much it for now.Anything I can help about Brazil just ask guys.

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:08 am

Erikwilliam:

Thanks! If you find the link about MCZ construction I really would like to check it out! Indeed, Indeed, airports in Brazil are just a big reconstuction ground, becoming very modern and efficient. Clear examples are BSB, REC, BEL and POA! They are not airports, but a piece of art  Smile

(friend told me that FLN will also be very nice, and that there was even a competition to choose the "best design" for the airport)

Last month my boss had to fly AMS-GRU-BEL and he got amazed about BEL airport...he said BEL is fantastic.

Of course, always there are exceptions...and GRU is just an old dinosaur!
What a shame! Do you know why??

Hardi

erikwilliam

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:54 am

Man I have no idea why or how, but, sometimes, as a Brazilian, I feel that our governants don´t think ahead of time and just do the necessary or not even that, that´s why GRU it´s a big crap.Let´s see how the new terminal goes, if it goes.
About the airports, this new "global tourism fever" has hit us, so U wouldn´t belive how many conventions, and expositions, and fairs we have on Tour Brasil, that´s why the Federal Government is putting so much money on airports.

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:50 am

I also think that the BIG mistake of INFRAERO was to overlook GRU...
I read somewhere that GIG could drag the traffic out of GRU, something didn't happen...

Hardi

JJMNGR

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:12 am

Do anyone knows how they will fly direct and daily flighjts to GRU and GIG with A343, considering they have only 04 of these type and they also have to fly them to Africa?

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:16 am

JJMNGR:

TAP dedicates two A343 100% for the Brazilian market (GRU and GIG). The others they rotate for African routes (I think Mozambique, Angola and South Africa).... but they also fly to the US (JFK)...so probaly they use one for Africa (Angola) and one for the US.

Hardi

JJMNGR

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:22 am

Ok my friend...understand they will have daylight flights as it is easy to manage the aircraft rotation.

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:37 pm

JJMNGR:

Indeed, all of TAP flights to Brazil operate on the route Portugal-Brazil during the day, and return during the night, so that they maximise the use of the aircraft.

Hardi

photolppt

RE: TAP Flights To Brazil Increased To 38 Per Week

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm

Hi  Smile)

This is really great news fot TP, the brazillian routes are the n. 1 reason for TP last years profit. Mr. Fernando Pinto announced yesterday that, even with the fuel price increase (which means a further 35 million euro bill for them so far) TP should be able to present a profit again by the end of the year.

With this in mind, and the already announced codeshares with RG and UA, this means that TP will be very well placed in the market when they join Star next year.

Let's hope now for the introdution of one or two A333 in early 2005, since 1 TP A313 will go (according to unconfirmed news) to YES in the first semester of 2005  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards
Luis

CV990

Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:09 pm

Hi!

TAP is indeed in the "top of the wave" with the Brazil market. I flew with them last June from LIS to GIG and back ( 343 CS-TOC to GIG and CS-TOD to LIS ) and I can only say the both flights were excelent, the crew was also great and kind to all your requests. We flew during the day from LIS ( originally this flight came from OPO ) leaving at 10:15 and arriving at GIG 10 hours a a few minutes latter. We got all the service that normally a good airline gives, alchoolic beverages, lunch with 2 choises, desert, a snack just before we landed, good movies on board but no PTV's, but it was actually not that bad. The return flight normally leaves late afternoon from GIG and we get to LIS early in the morning.
Besides that TAP is still going strong in USA ( EWR ), Africa and of course Europe and the Islands, so what else do we need? Well maybe to replace the 313's with the 332's. According with a TAP crew member TAP will get a new long-haul Airbus, a 330 or a 340 but there's still no news about that.
regards and fly TAP, you'll have a pleasant surprise!!!
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

HB-IWC

Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:15 pm

Let's hope now for the introdution of one or two A333 in early 2005, since 1 TP A313 will go (according to unconfirmed news) to YES in the first semester of 2005

I think they would rather opt for the A332, as the A333 might have difficuties making it on some of their longest routes like GRU, GIG, JNB or MPM.

photolppt

Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:19 pm

yes, I mean the A332  Smile
Sorry for the typo!

dutchjet

Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:39 pm

Very good niche for TAP....as most international airlines are focused exclusively on Sao Paolo and sometimes Rio, Brazil's other cities do not have much long haul service to Europe (or the US/Canada either). VARIG also routes most of its overseas traffic via Sao Paolo.....thus, TAP has found a good market with its services to places like SSA and REC. The A310s, while out-of-style, make a lot of sense for these routes, it will be interesting to see what replaces them in the future - is the A332 too much aircraft with too much capacity for these route - I really dont know. I have no idea what the yeilds or fares are like between Europe and the Brazilian cities, but I am certain that TAP benefits from offering daily service in most markets and the extra seats offered by the A332 could bring fares and yeilds down.

In any case, its always good to see a carrier "think outside of the box" and become successful in a niche market.

erikwilliam

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:10 pm

See, our colonizers are not so dumb after all, as we joke a lote about this here, no offenses of course  Big thumbs up

Just a litle off topic: JJMNGR, how´s Tam doing in SouthAmerican Loads, particulary to EZE.

I was looking at DAC web site http://www.dac.gov.br and I was very surprised to know that EZE-GRU is the busiest international route to Brazil. Given that, when G9 opens their route, do U think JJ and others will have big problems or...?

have a nice day U guys.

[Edited 2004-10-15 14:13:44]

Horus

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:15 pm

Deviating quite a bit from the thread but will TAP ever consider starting flights to the Middle East (e.g DXB, CAI, BEY, TLV, etc)? There seems to be a lack of services between Portugal and that region (despite a few charters).

Horus

EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:26 pm

Dutchjet:

You made a good point! Inded, TAP has benefited from finding its "niche market" in NE Brazil. It offers advantage to those passenger on holidays that are looking for sunshine Brazil, and also to the business passenger that has as destination NE Brazil, as they would save at least 3-4 hours by avoiding a stop-over in the GRU hub!

About your question of TAP's fares to NE Brazil, the fares are pretty much the same as to GRU and GIG in Y and cheaper for C class. To NE Brazil TAP's C class is not its " top quality" product (lie-flat seats), which are used to GRU and GIG. But again, I experienced C class LIS-REC with TAP, and considering the flight time (+/- 7-8h) it is a reasonably good product  Smile

The strategy has been successful for TAP, as can be seen in the company's current financial situation. Again, all credits to TAP's CEO Fernando Pinto!
(some months ago there were rumours that at the end of the year he would leave TAP to take over a possible new airline in Brazil, which would result from the association of TAM and RG...but this now seem will not materialise)

Take care,
Hardi

[Edited 2004-10-15 14:56:53]

boeingbus

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:49 pm

This is all great news...

Finally, TP was able to come up with a profitable niche market... early nineties they tried expanding in North America/Asia destinations and that didn't work out...

As far as the Middle East... well it would be hard to compete with the big boys, Emirates and soon to be Eithad... and of course, BA/AF... so don't think that will happen anytime soon...
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:58 pm

Question of the day: did TAP only manage to become successful because it got a Brazilian management team?  Smile

Ps: with that, we should not forget. Congratulations SCOLARI (Big Phil), who manage to bring Portugal to the finals of the Euro Cup!

erikwilliam

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:03 pm

Ahlem Horus, Kifak habib. Long time no see, I was off from A.net for a while, back now.
Tap´s CEO, Fernando Pinto, knows a lot from aviation, and Tap was not so good until two years ago. Brazil is making Tap have profits so they can start thinking next,new planes, new routes etc, and if, as U said, midle east have low nº of flights, be sure that Pinto is looking at it, but he won´t rush until timing is right. The way I see it, they are getting stronger in one place, make some money, and when they get good at it move to the next, but I could be wrong.

Nice to see U still here.

boeingbus

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:06 pm

This should also help TAP expand...

Lisbon airport set to be revamped

National Airport Authority (ANA) announced this week that Lisbon's International Airport at Portela will have its capacity increased by 50 percent once proposed work has been concluded.

According to a programme set out by ANA, work will commence in 2005 and will only be completed by 2008.

In addition, authorities argue that even if work on the new Ota airport (50 kilometres north of Lisbon) were to start now, it would only be ready by 2014, making the enlargement and improvement of Portela all the more necessary.

photolppt

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:09 pm

Horus,

Service to Middle East and Asia is non-existent in TP schedule. A real shame if you ask me. I would like to see TP flying to DXB, so that passengers travelling to Asia could connect there instead of LHR or FRA. But, hey, it is not my airline  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards
Luis

erikwilliam

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Guys, just one thing. Tap also make a lot of money with cargo, from Brazil to EU. And the NE send a lot of fruits to EU, and, I´m not too sure, but since we don´t have a major route from NE Brazil to EU, Tap can be exploring this in a good way, so the products don´t have to go to GRU or GIG and the EU. Making it cheaper and fresher.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Horus

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Yahala Erikwilliam, I'm okay, inta 3amel eh?

BoeingBus, neither EK or EY have made any firm plans for LIS (as far as I know). Egyptair used to operate 2x weekly CAI-MAD-LIS flights but that service was terminated straight after 9/11.

PhotoLPPT, have TAP ever operated to that region in the past?

Horus

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:59 pm

Erikwilliam:

You mentioned a very important point. Actually, one of the driving forces of TAP flights to NE Brazil is not only carrying passengers, but also CARGO! They are doing pretty well with cargo volumes on those routes. And it's not only fruits, but a lot of processed and high value-added products - let us not forget that Brazil is the home-country of Embraer.

BoeingBus:

Good news about ANA revamping LIS airport. I must say that LIS airport has hampered TAP from developing further and it really needs to be improved.

Erikwilliam:

I still see it difficul for TAP to grow in other markets appart from Brazil. Portugal is really lucky to have a HUGE market in Brazil...as both speak the same language, so business is made easier! TAP will have to establish itself very solidly in Brazil - there is where the profit is.

Hardi

photolppt

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:15 am

Horus:

TAP never had a big story with the Asian market, only flight ever operated was LIS-MFM, first via BRU and later BKK. Lasted 1996-1999.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dickson Ching

The flight was created for political reasons. In 1996 Macau was still a Portuguese colony, and giving the fact that it was to be handed over to china in 2000, it was decided by the government that the national carrier should have a presence there. Loads where never that satisfatory and flight was later scrapped.

Would love to see EK in LIS, though  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards
Luis

Horus

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:19 am

Thanks for the reply Luis. How many passengers did LIS handle in 2003?

Horus

photolppt

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:39 am

LIS is currently handling around 11 million pax /year, and growing around 9%-10% per year.

A plan was announced this week to expland LIS capacity to 16 million/year, by rearranging some infraestrutures within the airport (cargo area to be located, new taxiways and stuff like that). This plan is currently under development and full details about this expansion should be made public by the end of the year.

Regards
Luis

CV990

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:50 am

Hi!

Regarding Middle East operation I must state that between 1959 and 1961 TAP had a flight from Lisbon to Goa ( Portuguese India ), kinda of "showing flag" flight. The flight was operated with the Lockheed L1049G-82 and it had stops in Beirut and Damascus. Now some of you can say - " Why these two cities that are separated by a few hundred miles? " - well, according to a friend that was TAP captain at that time TAP was forced by the syrian government to also stop buy Damascus otherwise they would cancel the right for TAP to overfly Syria. We also think it was a way to get some money too!!! So TAP had indeed flight to the Middle East for about 2 years.
regards

hardiwv

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:35 am

Interesting additional info.

From January until September 2004, TAP transported a total of 5 million passengers, an increase of 12% if compared to 2003. Again, the Brazilian market was the driving force with an increase of 20% in passenger volume.

So 2004 will be a landmark year for TAP. By the end of 2004, TAP will break its record in total passenger volume, with more than 6 million passengers!

In 2004 TAP also joined Star Alliance, enabling it to codeshare flights with RG to its major destination, Brazil.

Amazing how Fernando Pinto, and his Brazilian management team, transformed a nearly bankrupt airline, in a successful business model!  Smile

Hardi

erikwilliam

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:46 am

One thing that deserves recognition is Tap going to Star. That´s awesome, now people from EU can come Brazil, earn FF miles within their companies flying Tap. That´s probably going to make those flights to NE even better for tourists, I can also see a rose in Tap nº of passangers next year.
A quetion to my Portuguese friends: how´s Portugalia doing, finnances, fleet etc etc.

CV990

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:54 am

Hi!

Portugalia e running their business. They have quite a niche of good cities in Europe so I think they're not that bad, they're still struggling financially but at least they don't have such a bad reputation like Air Luxor, Yes Air or Euro Atlantic.
regarding the fleet they keep on running the little Fokker 100 and the ERJ145.
regards

BA

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:54 am

Horus,

I don't think there is much demand for Portugal - Middle East flights.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

hardiwv

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:59 am

BA:

Agree with you. TAP should concentrate (and perform well) on its core market:

1) first and foremost: Brazil - which is TAP's daily bread.
2) intra Europe flights (both as feeder and bringing european tourits to Portugal)
3) former portuguese colonies in Africa

Anything away from that, will not be a business-oriented decision.

JoFMO

Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:32 am

@Hardiwv:

I agree with you but would also include 2 dailys to North America.

boeingbus

Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:43 am

Yes, N. America is a big market for tourists and folks who want to visit their homeland.

Strangely, TAP has given this up to SATA or Azores Express and I never understood why they would do this... But I believe SATA is partly owned by TAP so its all in the family. But at one Point TP flew to Toronto, San Jose, CA, and BOS… These routes are all served by SATA, which is another growing Portuguese airline…

erikwilliam

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:22 am

CV990: Obrigado!

my only hope now is for all airlines that have old MD-80 to get some new, fresh, confy and silent E-170/190´s. Also that I can get a table on the bar I´m heading right now. ehehehe

Hardiw, I´ll ask a Brahma for U, but I rather have an Original, next time u´r here I´ll pay one for U, bue just one hã!?

Have U all a very nice weekend.  Big thumbs up

hardiwv

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:47 am

BoeingBus:

OK, I would include the US as no. 4 in the list. I'm also optimistic with the US because of the codeshare with UA next year. Any other destination in the US that TAP could operate, appart from EWR? (difficult....I don't think so, at least for now...).

To be honest, in the short to medium term, I only see TAP growing in the Brazilian market, which is providing TAP with the bulk of its revenues. Flights to NATwill become daily as of mid-2005, increasing flights to Brazil to an astonishing amount of 43 flights per week!!!!!!!  Smile For a medium-sized airline as TAP this figure is quite something!

Erikwilliam:

Lukcy you! I would certainly want to join you for a BRAHMA!!!!
I am also fan of GUARANA (but not for a friday evening, right?)

Hardi

Horus

Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:20 am

BA, even though it's true the market between Portugal and the Middle East is small, it is worthy of some connections. As I said before 9/11 MS had 2x weekly flights to LIS. Currently in the Egypt-Portugal market AMC have 2x weekly flights from CAI (1 originates in SSH and the other in LXR) and Lotus have a weekly flight from CAI. So there is demand there, even though its small one and besides such a market would never develop or mature if there were no services to stimulate growth.

Besides I'm sure if EK start services to LIS they'll somehow make money out of it.

Horus

boeingbus

Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:49 am

Hardiwv, If TP seriously focused in the N American market it would do very very well... But TP conceded this to SATA, as I mentioned before they are somehow affiliated but independent. SATA currently flies to those very same destinations that TP abandoned. There was really not reason why… loads were very good on those flights as they are now currently…

What is a savior for passenger heading to LIS in the US, are that many folks in the here have choices, such as BA and AF where it’s any easy connection to LIS from their hubs… Always thought it was foolish of TP leaving the US and Canada…

But if someone can explain the relationship of SATA and TP would be great... anyone out there?

I believe this would explain why… but I’m willing to bet that TP wanted to concentrate on Brazil and allowed SATA to concentrate in the US… who knows…

hardiwv

Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:13 pm

BoeingBus:

When TAP was concentrading on the US and Canada, which is the period before Fernando Pinto took the helm of the organisation, TAP was ALWAYS on the red! Fernando Pinto established a new business model, and TAP started to concentrade on a new "niche", the NE Brazil. What happen, the company now operates on the blue and is doing pretty well.

The US market is extremely competitive, which means TAP has to compete with other much larger and stronger airlines (such as AF, BA and IB + the US airlines). In the case of the NE of Brazil TAP has practically a monopoly. And as I said before, Brazil is a "natural" market for TAP, language, etc. TAP was lukcy to have such a HUGE market to explore!

Hardi

airbazar

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:31 pm

TAP abandoned N.America as a strategic plan to get itself profitable. They needed to restructure the route network and that meant cutting flights and consolidate. Most of the N. American flights were some of the least profitable so those were cut.