medinaj

Smoke Out Of 747 Classic Engines?

Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:09 am

I recently flew MAD-MIA on one of IB's classic 747. A few hours into the flight, I noticed a stream of blue-ish smoke coming out of a little vent on the side of the outboard engine. I started freaking out a bit and shut my sunvisor closed. A few minutes later, I checked again and the smoke had dissappeared. Some minutes later I looked again and it was coming out again.

We landed at MIA without incident, and at no point did the FAs or pilot advise or do anything out of the ordinary, so I assume this was a normal event. Anybody has any idea of what this was? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just never noticed this before.

JeffDCA

RE: Smoke Out Of 747 Classic Engines?

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:58 am

I've often seen this when the aircraft are taxiing around at SFB, only seems to happen on RR's though. Seen it on the B742's RB211's, and the A330's Trent 500's, coming out a small vent under the RR badge. Doesn't seem to happen on the 767's CF6's though.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

FLYtoEGCC

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:46 am

I noticed exactly the same thing on an Monarch A330 this year. I have no idea what it was, but the engine was an RR Trent 772. It's a little sort of pointy vent facing backwards, and white smoke came out. I was a little bit worried, but as you say, after take-off it disappears.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

JeffDCA

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:55 am

Just realised the mistake in my last post! Honestly, saying that A330's have Trent 500's... you'd never guess my home town is Derby!!  Wow!

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

broke

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:30 am

What you were probably seeing are engine breather vapors. The seals in the engine's oil system at the bearings will generally keep out most of the high pressure air out of the system. But there is a little leakage past the seals. If you didn't have a way to relieve this increase of air pressure in the oil system you could over pressurize the oil system and start losing oil through these same seals and in other areas.
So you vent the oil system breather air overboard. The system has a unit that centrifuges most of the oil out of the air before it goes overboard, but a little will go out with the air. So you sometimes get a little bluish vapor coming out of the breather vent port.
If your oil temperature, oil quantity, and oil pressure are normal; then there is nothing to be worried about with these vapors.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos