Dster
Topic Author

ATC On Virgin Atlantic

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:19 am

Does anybody know if there is a station on Virgin Atlantic's in-flight music system that broadcasts the ATC communications?

Shamrock_747

RE: ATC On Virgin Atlantic

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:24 am

No there isn't. As far as I am aware the only airline that offers such a feature is UA.

FriendlySkies

Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:01 am

UA is the only airline that has live ATC feeds to the IFE. Not sure why other airlines don't do it, the only reason I can think of is that a patent may be involved. But I'm not sure if the technology used could be patented.

FlyPIJets

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:17 am

I wonder it the lack of ATC feeds on IFE is a legacy issue traced back to the AA DC-10 disaster at ORD.

Back in the late 1970's some airlines had begin to install cameras in the flight deck and relay the video feeds of takeoff and landings back to the cabin.

When the AA DC-10 disaster happened, there were numerous sub-stories in the press playing out the horror passengers may have felt by not only being in a disaster but also watching it unfold in the cockpit. (I can't remember if the AA DC-10 flight had that equipment and if it was ever determined if it was operating, but it seems like, if memory serves me well, it did and it was) The press stories envisioned more prolonged catastrophes that would horrify passengers.

I think this has had a lasting impact in limiting any type of flight deck monitoring as in flight entertainment. UA seems to be the only airline that has bucked the trend.

Disclaimer: I am just using my memory for this post. Anybody out there in A.net land can confirm or disprove, please do. thanks, I really would like to know if I am remembering this correctly.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

ryu2

Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:10 am

All Nippon Airways (NH) of Japan still has the cameras for takeoff and landing. And you can watch the camera for the whole flight on the PTV if you want too.

Starlionblue

Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:13 am

All Nippon Airways (NH) of Japan still has the cameras for takeoff and landing. And you can watch the camera for the whole flight on the PTV if you want too.

Yes but is that camera of the outside or of the cockpit?

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

pecoua

Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:33 am

Yes to flypijets......

AA191, on May 25th, 1979, was in fact equipped with the flight deck camera and it was operating at the time of the crash...I remember reading the News Tribune at home in NJ...there was a dedicated article on how the pax were watching the takeoff on the cabin video screens and how AA confirmed this to be true....I can't imagine what they went thru on that airplane.

Also, some friends of mine used to fly for AA and they said that those cameras were made to turn off and become disabled if the aircraft made too drastic of a turn or some extreme g forces...I cannot confirm this to be true and I don't know if the camera on 191 operated until impact...but they swear that it probably went dead when the plane started it's roll to the left...

Hope this helps

BH346

Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:41 am

As far as I'm aware, the camera views on ANA shows the views outside of the aircraft. I believe that some Asian carriers do this other than ANA. I could be wrong on that one.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

FlyPIJets

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:02 am

Pecoua:

Thanks. I didn't know they were made to disable under certain conditions. That makes sense, though.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

TWA902fly

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:45 am

Swiss has cameras on their A340s and A330s that are i think someone on the bottom of the fuselage, i know you can watch takeoff and landings on the PTVs.

TWA902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

sfo212

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:47 am

Back to the topic of ATC transmissions, I am curious why no other airline does it. The pilots have full discretion to disable the feed if they feel it necessary. I was on UA at LAX taxiing out on a flight to SFO. I was monitoring Channel 9 listening to the chatter and then after a bit I noticed no voices. But I did notice aircraft moving around on the ramp and pushing back. Next thing I know we are pulled off to the side and were stopped. Soon one of the flight crew came out of the cockpit to speak with a passenger in first class. Don't know what the passenger's problem was. But after a couple of minutes, the pilot went back to cockpit and we started moving again and then the ATC came back on.

During all of this no one made a PA announcement why we were stopped. The only way I knew something was up was listening to Channel 9.

AEROFAN

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:23 pm

emirates have the cameras outside as well. If memory serves correctly there is on the front wheel gears as well

geoffm

Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Emirates have two cameras: one facing forward and one facing directly down, but not on the front wheel gear. Would be nice if they cleaned the lens once in a while... The forward facing camera is, I think, slightly pointed downwards as you can see the runway when coming into land in a nose-up attitude.

Geoff M.

moose1226

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:52 pm

The pilots on UA (the only camera or ATC that I have experienced) seem to use good judgement as to when it should be on and off. I flew UA from IAD to SJO this summer, and when we were handed off to SJO Tower, our captain attempted to make contact with the tower, there was no response. He tried about four times to make contact, and then Channel 9 was turned off. The pilots keep the fact that the passengers are listening in mind, and turn it off when the deem necessary. I don't think that it is a problem to have Channel 9 or outside cameras.