United Airline
Topic Author

CX: LHR-JFK. When?

Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:42 pm

Virgin will start service between Hong Kong and Sydney in December. And Qantas will start service between Hong Kong and London in November.

Dragonair maybe December????? I mean HKG-SYD

What about CX? When will they start service between LHR and JFK? Did they get the rights yet?

Heard that they plan to start a 4th daily flight from Hong Kong to London with continuing service to JFK. Can anyone confirm that? What equipment they plan to use?

agmyvr

RE: CX: LHR-JFK. When?

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:20 am

Yes VS will go to SYD and QF will go to LHR in winter04

however KA will not start to go to SYD till JUN05, someone in HKADB(http://www.hkadb.com/ you need to know Traditional Chinese big5) said DEC05

for CX, at their staff intranet few weeks ago did mention about applying or looking to buy slots out of LHR, however not much details since!

andrewtang

Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:43 pm

Till date, Virgin Atlantic has not been granted the rights to fly HKG-SYD-HKG yet!

SHUPirate1

Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:47 pm

CX will start LHR-JFK when hell, Bermuda II, and the NIMBY's around Heathrow burn up, all at the same time...in other words, forget it...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

jakob77

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:11 pm

Bermuda II applies only to US and UK airlines operating between the 2 countries.

dutchjet

Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:45 pm

As pointed out, Bermuda 2 would not apply to CX being that CX is not a UK or US carrier.

However, any new carrier entering the JFK-LHR market will be controversial.....ás far as BMI, CO, NW and DL are concerned, their answer to the question of: "When will CX open service on the JFK-LHR market?" would be "when hell freezes over"! Those airlines have been asking for transatlantic access from the US to LHR for years and years and years. I am really not certain if any of those airlines have any valid legal basis to block the CX service from opening, but they will be very unhappy about it. For years, SQ has wanted to fly from the US to Singapore via London and thus far have been prevented from doing so for regulatory reasons, so they will have a lot to say as well. If CX gets authority for JFK-LHR, it could open up a big problem for all concerned parties but maybe that would be a good thing, possibly, this could force the UK and the US to re-work Bermuda2 once and for all and allow increased access to LHR from US cities.

CX will only get the authority as part of a side-deal deal concerning flights between the UK and China and the ability of UK carriers to operate flights and sell seats between China and non-UK destinations, in this case, specifically, between Hong Kong and Australia.

This whole deal is complicated and messy.....it certainly will be interesting to see how it works out. Virgin is determined to get into the UK-Australia market (via HongKong to avoid direct competition with part owner SQ), so the pressure is on.

dutchjet

Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:03 pm

I do belive that VS has recieved confirmation that they can fly the route. They have already started sending employee's out to SYD and have already set up their infrastructure in preperation for the first service. I highly doubt that they will have done this without having confirmation that they can fly the route...

-----------

You are right, its rather clear that Virgin will fly the route, the big question is whether Virgin will be able to sell seats on the HKG-SYD and SYD-HKG segments of this flight. I do not think that issue has yet been settled.....I apologize if I was unclear.

jakob77

Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:43 pm

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200311/27/1127206.htm

It does say "the new arrangement will be brought into effect after the UK has completed the necessary procedures with the European Union". I haven't heard that the EU has approved the agreement.