karan69

A-I Wants To Sport A New Look With Bigger Fleet

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:20 am

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/887290.cms

Many of yoll may think its the usual all talk and no show. But the plus point apart from those mentioned about the IFE in the article is that newspapers are also reporting about AI and others on a regular bases. This shows the general awareness about our great carrier AI in the indian public and press who generally does not care about the indian aviation sector.

Hope for once what is written in the article comes true

AeroAussie

RE: A-I Wants To Sport A New Look With Bigger Fleet

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:27 am

Frankly I quite like Air India's current scheme. Maybe they could spruce it up a little bit, but I really hope that they hang on to the flying palace. Those windows are one-of-a-kind!
Good Luck, AI!

-Nick

22right

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:39 am

Pls correct me if I am wrong, but nowehere in that article does it say that they plan on introducing a "new look" as in new color scheme. What am I missing??
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

ConcordeBoy

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:50 am

I cant stand the retro-look on any airline... but Satan's drawers will probably ice over before AI gets a new livery, sorry.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

airish

Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:57 am

I hope that some of the planned routes mentioned in the article are started soon. It would be nice to see YYZ start via MAN or BHX. A night flight would be popular from London with VFRS segment of the market. Most of the people whom I speak to about flights to India say that they prefer night departures from London. Also depending on the time of the night flight it could route via DEL during the winter when the fog is bad in the morning and provide a direct like with London during that time.

On the livery a new one is not needed but the current one needs to be modified to have the website displayed and the tail could be modified to have a new design on it. Other than that the livery is fine as it is.

Let's hope IFE in your seat gets put in on the 747 400s that would make Air India's economy product which is already good even better.
Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

karan69

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:30 pm

Nice comments Airish,how i wish these would come sooner than later from the various boards in the indian govt

airish

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:37 pm

Thanks Karan69. Lets hope it happens though.
Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

B747-437B

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:41 pm

Let's hope IFE in your seat gets put in on the 747 400s that would make Air India's economy product which is already good even better.

VT-AIE and VT-AIF already have PTVs in Y class and the 3 777s due from December will also have PTVs. The original 6 -437s will probably go in for fitting of new IFE systems from mid-2005 and depending on vendors selected and cost of installation may be fitted with a system at that time.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

drerx7

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:46 pm

How far along is AI on getting flights to Houston approved?
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

airish

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:49 pm

Thanks Sean.

Is VT-AIF now operating with AI.

Is there any more news on when the new flights to London are due to start as I have someone travelling back on AI121 from DEL in December and I was wondering if the flight time or routing now might change.

hawaijahaz

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:57 pm

Will all the aircrafts have the same IFE system? I believe that VT-AIE and VT-AIF are ex-SQ aircrafts and the 777s will be ex-UA aircrafts. Will AI keep the original IFE system on the different aircrafts or stick to one kind?

B747-437B

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:06 am

Is VT-AIF now operating with AI.

Yes, AI has taken delivery of AIF.

I have someone travelling back on AI121 from DEL in December and I was wondering if the flight time or routing now might change.

AI 121 of Saturdays will no longer route BOM-DEL-LHR from December 20 onwards but rather BOM-LHR nonstop due to fog issues. Check with Air India if your travel date is affected. Passengers will be reaccomodated the previous evening on a DEL-BOM shuttle flight with hotel provided at Mumbai.

Will all the aircrafts have the same IFE system?

No. The ex-Korean -4B5s will not be fitted with any new IFE system and the new system on the -437s (whatever is selected) will not be the same as on the -412s.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

hawaijahaz

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:16 am

Thanks Sean.

I was also wondering how long is the lease for the -4B5s and for the -412s.

I guess it makes sense that AI doesn't want to install IFEs on aircrafts now owned by them. So that would also mean that the 777s would have UA's IFE system (making it different from the -437s and -412s).

Even though it makes economic sense, but it makes AIs service very unpredictable. I think that standardization is key in differentiating your product.

I'm just glad that some progress is being made in making AI more competitive in the global market.

B747-437B

Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:18 am

I was also wondering how long is the lease for the -4B5s and for the -412s.

3 year initial extendable on option to 5 years.

mrniji

Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:34 am

Yes, AI has taken delivery of AIF.

Iska naam kya hai? Maybe I guess correctly as I did with Mamalapuram... maybe Gaya?

I think that standardization is key in differentiating your product.

On the other side, even individualization can be a nice strategy. Imagine, each of AI's aircraft having a really own identity with different products, different seat colors etc etc etc... Just my dreams  Big grin

[Edited 2004-10-19 19:36:15]
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

jaysit

Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:23 am

They should start with their website.

It's disgraceful and woefully out of date (unless, nonsensical news tidbits like "Coorgis to be fed thambattu on BLR-Dxb flights" count).

And a horrible symbol for a country that is an IT powerhouse.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

mrniji

Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:47 am

Jay, first welcome back! I was afraid you might disappear!

They should start with their website.

It's disgraceful and woefully out of date

Just FYI, go on the German page http://www.airindia.de (you will understand the most).. an interesting mix of German and English language and 'sophisticated' hyperlinks, updated in a 'periodical manner'..! Big grin

A piece of amusement and a good 'good-night'-webpage  Big thumbs up
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Vimanav

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:01 am

Something completely off the topic, but an observation nonetheless:

Does not the script/font of "Airliners.net" at the top of the page look exactly like Air India's???

Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

MEA-707

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:11 am

Air India had so much adverse reactions when they tried to introduce a new scheme, one of the few times an airline reintroduced its old colour. At least BA didn't go back to Landor after their stakeholders didn't like the World Tails. I guess AI for sure won't ever try to change it again.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © M.Oertle

nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

jasepl

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:13 am

Subin, what a crock the German site turned out to be! Es ist einen Deutsche Fassade that just links you back to the desi site!

Did I get that right, by the way?

Ooh, and I love this phrase: "nicht vegetarischen" = never heard it before!

As for Air India, well, they want a lot of things. And they need these things more than most. But then I want the Israeli security guard I saw on the treadmill a few weeks ago... In both cases, not very likely. Certainly not anytime soon.

[Edited 2004-10-19 21:44:46]

airish

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:31 am

WindowSeat

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:35 am

Well, I guess AI is headed in the right direction after all. Maybe, just maybe, I'll give AI a try after all.

Good Luck to AI.

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

jasepl

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:39 am

Well, I guess AI is headed in the right direction after all. Maybe, just maybe, I'll give AI a try after all.

Nothing wrong with the service quality on AI long haul, WindowSeat. It's wonderful.

As for the rest of it, well, this is India. These things take time. We are like this only.

jaysit

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:39 am

They could hire a few A.netters on here and they could update their moronic website in a few hours.

The German website is hilarious - but I'm sure that it impresses some babus in Delhi that AI has a website in German !

karan69

Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:19 am

Seriously,maybe the proposed improvement of the web site by a.netters woud be a start to a whole new sector of aviation where AI has achieved its goals

mrniji

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:49 pm

Did I get that right, by the way?

Soundz good.. the funny thing is that the AI German webpage was launched, if I remember correctly, already in 1999.. that time AI was a kind of pioneer for having a webpage for German.

In order to analyze the 'management', there are different appoaches.. let's just imagine: I met my ex-gf just recently. We had the opinion that we did not change the years we weren't in contact.. it is nice to have sth familiar again. Now to AI's webpage.. it is nice to have some melancholy. While the cyber age is causing dynamic changes, AI and the German Webpage 'remains traditional'.. nice to remember the end 90s when the cyber age was progressing... just an attempt to see things positively Big grin

They could hire a few A.netters on here and they could update their moronic website in a few hours.

I do not doubt that there are good people available.. but their hands are bound to implement changes by the GOI. By the way, in June a tender expired for the relaunch of AIs page.. So expect to see changes sometimes.. someone told me that they plan to relaunch it multilingually. By the way, the template as such is not that bad. At least it is easy to navigate. See LHs horriblle webpage as the other extreme. Only the content on AIs page could be much better.. The online booking is not that bad (I twice booked a ticket there, it is cheap). But there could be more options (multiple stopovers, et al).

The German website is hilarious - but I'm sure that it impresses some babus in Delhi that AI has a website in German !

It is really hllarious, especially the potpuri fusion of English/German Big grin - by the way, AI themselves proudly announce on the Mumbai webpage, in the FRA section, that they have a German webpage Big grin

mrniji

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:59 pm

By the way, one of the best sites displaying the bad content management of AI's website is

http://www.airindia.com/page.asp?pageid=12

(Code sharing agreements). Sometimes, they write frequency daily, sometimes 7, sometimes BOM(MUMBAI), sometimes BOM, sometimes Mumbai, Lyons etc etc etc... not very palpable in the first instance..

who the h--- manages the page?? SOme Babus?

Vimanav

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:18 am

who the h--- manages the page?? SOme Babus?

Psst... its not mere babus... these are babus recruited under the SC/ST category.

Go ahead fry me Wink/being sarcastic

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

jaysit

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:49 am

http://www.airindia.com/page.asp?pageid=46

...is the WORST showcasing of a First Class product on a website I've ever seen !

The portly aunty and uncle in the picture in the lower right hand corner look like they're about to perform surgery on two rather uncomfortable hapless victims in what is supposed to be a mockup of the First cabin, but looks like the VD clinic at Bombay hospital.

http://www.airindia.com/page.asp?pageid=55

Hasn't been updated since about 1992 !

How do you expect to showcase your premium products if you can't even update information on them?

Vimanav

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:29 am

And while on the subject of AI website bashing, will somebody please tell them that their B747-300s are powered by CF6-80C2-B1 engines and not -81s are reflected on page
http://www.airindia.com/page.asp?pageid=2#B747-437

rgds//Vimanav

jasepl

Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:44 am

Psst... its not mere babus... these are babus recruited under the SC/ST category.

LOL! Not that the non-SC/ST ones are always any better!

And while on the subject of AI website bashing, will somebody please tell them that their B747-300s are powered by CF6-80C2-B1 engines and not -81s

Will it matter?  Big grin

22right

Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:28 am

And did anyone else think that in the picture of the amenities kit (or whatever that is) in the lower half of the screen (http://www.airindia.com/page.asp?pageid=46), there is something that looks like a knife??

"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

Thunderbird1

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:26 am

Good for AI. Things seem to be moving in the right direction.

I'll keep my eyes open for AIF here at LAX.

behramjee

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:29 am

Forget F class...their B 744/743 J Class too is nothing gr8 at all

http://www.airindia.com/page.asp?pageid=55

J Class seat pitch is a meagre 47 inches + no ptvs + only 8 inch recline !!!

Thank god for their recent announcement of refurbishing this cabin  Smile

B747-437B

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:33 am

Thank god for their recent announcement of refurbishing this cabin

You do realize that the "recent" announcement was made 3 years ago and that the new seats themselves have been in place for 2 years now?

They just haven't updated the website to reflect that! Big grin

airish

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:02 am

Air India's website does need some up dating. VT-AIB VT-AIE VT-AIF are not even listed on the fleet page

http://www.airindia.com/page.asp?pageid=2

Does anyone know if the 747 400 mentioned in this article is VT-AIF or another one that AI is going to take on lease.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/893929.cms

mrniji

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:10 am

They just haven't updated the website to reflect that!

Well, compared to the German website the Indian one does quite well Big grin