Arniepie
Topic Author

DHL-Leaves BRU

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:36 pm

After a lot of bickering DHL has finally decided to leave Brussels and decided to create a new main hub in Vatry (fr.) or Leipzig (Ger.).
After Citybird, Sabena and Sobelair another blow to Belgian aviation.
[edit post]

Buyantukhaa

RE: DHL-Leaves BRU

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:47 pm

http://www.volkskrant.nl/economie/1098334933076.html in Dutch only:

DHL will reduce its activities in BRU and scrap 1500 jobs in three to four years, being two thirds of the total staff. [..] The Belgian government only wanted to allow night flights with aircraft that are quieter than the MD-11. Such planes only exist on the drawing board, says DHL.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

gkirk

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:57 pm

Well, one can only blame the Belgian government...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Buyantukhaa

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:10 pm

Now also at the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3762378.stm

Courier firm DHL is ditching plans to site its international hub in Brussels at a likely cost of 1,700 jobs by 2008.
Negotiations with local and federal authorities over increasing the number of night flights have failed, the firm told BBC News Online.

Many of the firm's 3,000 staff at Zaventem airport walked out in protest when told the news on Wednesday night.

DHL, an arm of German delivery group Deutsche Post, said it is instead looking at sites in France and Germany.

Xavier de Buck, DHL's commercial director, told BBC News Online that the company had had a shortlist of three - Zaventem, Leipzig in eastern Germany and Vatry, 120km east of Paris.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

MD11Engineer

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:16 pm

DHL just had the old Lufthansa LSG catering facility torn down at CGN (which has been standing empty since LSG moved into a new building a year ago and happened to be between the Deutsche Post freight building and the DHL building) and is going to use this space to build a new sorting hub, similar to the new UPS one at the same airport.
So it could be that a lot of traffic would go via CGN.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

airtrainer

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:24 pm

GKirk you're absolutely right !

Jef
Life is short : eat dessert first !

TriStar500

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm

Jan,

I'd suggest you look further to the east for the new DHL hub... ever wondered, what could be the result of a combination between:

(a) the transfer of the internal German night mail hub (operated by Deutsche Post World Net) from FRA after the impending night flight ban when the new runway is opened at this location,

(b) the relocation of DHL (coincidently also owned by DPWN) hub operations from BRU, and

(c) a certain East German airport with ample airside capacity and no night flight ban?

Big grin

[Edited 2004-10-21 14:33:49]
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

LJ

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:44 pm

One wonders if DHL didn't intend to move to Leipzig or France regardless of what the Belgian government decided

xenon

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:58 pm

"Many of the firm's 3,000 staff at Zaventem airport walked out in protest when told the news on Wednesday night"

And I was one of them...

Daniel
AirTeamImages -ATI-

PITrules

Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:26 am

Who were they protesting against? DHL, for leaving Belgium, or the Belgian gov't for letting this happen?
FLYi

clickhappy

Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:38 am

The Belgium government doesn't seem to understand the tern "free trade."

Sabena was a joke, did they ever turn a profit? Then the Ryanair mess at Charleroi, and now this?

Blame the politicians, not the airlines.

trident2e

Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:58 am

DHL's position seems to be 'let us be as noisy as we like and stuff anyone we might disturb'. No airline should be allowed to hold a government to ransom like that, so as sad as it is for the employees affected I think the Belgian government is absolutely right not to yield to DHL's demands.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos