leelaw

Spotting And Photography: Atlanta

Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:27 pm

I have a three hour layover at Atlanta tomorrow afternoon, any suggestions for spotting and photography inside the terminal/concourses?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

dl021

RE: Spotting And Photography: Atlanta

Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:06 am

Yep.. Go to the upper level restaurants in B or A concourses. There are seats next to the windows that afford decent views and photos. The food court at in the A concourse, where you will also find Paschals (a local Atlanta civil rights landmark transplanted to the airport) gives a decent view of the arcraft at gates, as well as taxiing upclose. The end of the international terminal and the end of D concourse affords a good view of the runways and taxiways. Good views of different international birds, the largest concentration of Boeing 717's anywhere, and more Delta Boeings than you can shake a stick at.

Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ATLhomeCMH

Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:27 am

D1021 about sums it up pretty well. Either of the central atrium/food court areas on concourses A and B will do just fine. Even if you're plane isn't on A or B (which, if you're flying DL it most likely will be), you can just hop on the people mover.

A secondary suggestion is to go to the end of any of the concourses to get a view of either the parallel north (8LR/26LR) or parallel south runways (9LR/27LR).
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

GroundStop

Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:10 am

The best views of the north runways can be found at the end of Concrouse C North. The windows there are actually angeled in such a way that you can see nearly the whole length of both runways. And if you walk down to the end of C South...you'll likely be looking at a spare 717 in 'Double Zero'.

JP