jfrworld

Which UA Hub Will Suffer The Most From Downsizing

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:05 am

United has announced plans to reduce domestic capacity while increasing international capacity next year. Does anyone know which UA hubs might be most effected. My guess is DEN or IAD. UA is pretty weak on the east coast which is why I think UA might reduce some capacity on the east coast. DEN is a major east/west domestic connecting point so that makes sense to me. SFO is the largest of UA's international gateways and one of the weaker domestic hubs anyway, which leads me to believe that SFO will only get stronger with more international traffic.

Any thoughts?

as739x

RE: Which UA Hub Will Suffer The Most From Downsizing

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:26 am

World...I'd have to agree. I think that IAD will be effected the most. The domestic feed will have less flights to feed when International build up is somewhere else. In my opinion the build up will be from ORD. Below are my thoughts.
1) SFO gets much stronger with more Int'l traffic and a few added flights to feed them.
2) ORD will get more Int'l flights. UA will drop domestic to get in agreement with the ORD slot restrictions.
3) IAD will lose some domestic feed if more IT flights are going out of ORD.
4) DEN will go unchanged

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

nomorerjs

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:29 am

ASSFO,

I agree with you 100%. I expect UA to cut flights at ORD due to "voluntary flight reductions", but add larger planes to keep capacity ahead of AAs. But given UAs management, who knows what they will do.

N1120A

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:31 am

And what about LAX. Are we going to see some of our international flights come back (perhaps the return of UA1/2, the RTW flights?)
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Cubsrule

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:34 am

UA will drop domestic to get in agreement with the ORD slot restrictions.
I wasn't aware that ORD was slot controlled. When did that happen?

I think that what happens at IAD will at least partially depend on US' future. I imagine that if the merger had gone through, IAD would have been dropped as a hub in favor of PHL and (to a lessor extent) CLT. The idea of the US/UA partnership is still that the east coast is US' domain, however. Thus, I see some downsizing at IAD if US sticks around. If US liquidates, I think we could see a lot (I use this term really loosely) of growth at IAD. WAS is a huge O&D market, and northern Virginia is growing at a pretty good clip. MWAA is improving the facilities, and connecting at IAD is still, IMHO, much easier than at ORD (especially if there is an international flight involved).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

as739x

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:03 am

ORD is not slot restricted per se but is on a restriction. I use the words slot restiction not in the term you are thinking. We here at A.net have been through this enough, most know what each other mean. UA/AA are both reducing the their flights per the FAA request. This is a perfect excuse to drop there amount of domestic flights and use larger a/c.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

ktachiya

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:29 am

So will NRT see more flights? Or will they see larger planes? 744 back again instead of the 777? They are expanding Terminal 1, so will UA use those slots or who'll use them?
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

AAplatnumflier

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:17 am

Ya what about LAX? Is it considered a hub or a focus city as UA has a big presence here? And I believe that AA will one day in the future operate LAX-ORD on a 777 just to compete with UA. What are your opinions?

FriendlySkies

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:20 am

And what about LAX. Are we going to see some of our international flights come back (perhaps the return of UA1/2, the RTW flights?)

UA1/2 is now ORD-HNL-ORD non-stop. As it used to be. Big grin

jfrworld

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:39 am

SFO is very strong internationally with international connections to both the Pacific and Europe for UA. Domestic traffic is much weaker than DEN or ORD as it seems as though most of the domestic traffic for UA at SFO is either O&D or feeder traffic for the international flights.

What about DEN? DEN is the weakest hub for international connections with no flights to Europe or Asia. It is almost entirely an east/west connection point for domestic traffic. Does anyone see any reductions there?

FriendlySkies

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:41 am

As DEN is UA's most profitable hub, I have reason to believe that would be the LAST place UA would want to make cuts. I agree that at IAD and ORD, domestic flights will be swapped for more international. I think UA is trying to build up IAD as a strong international gateway, at least they should.

JoFMO

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:07 am

I don't think UA downsize too much. Their press release used the term decrease capacity. So I hope that the amount of flights stays the same and that only some mainline routes are replaced by regional jets.

HB-IWC

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:08 am

DEN is the weakest hub for international connections with no flights to Europe or Asia.

DEN has a FRA-flight, albeit operated by Lufthansa, but codeshared on by United, and UA/LH offer quite a bit of connections between Europe and the Western United States through this FRA-DEN flight.

Regarding the original topic, the hub that has undoubtedly suffered the most is MIA, as it is no longer a hub. And what's the status of JFK? Hasn't UA been reducing its presence there over the past coupe of years. Or is JFK just a focus city?

I vouch against the idea of UA's closign the IAD hub. That would leave them with ORD as the first point of entry in the US for most of its European flights, and ORD is just too far out of the way for those East Coast bount passengers.

ba319-131

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:07 pm

Well MIA has been basically killed off. Despite the large reduction in the 737 fleet as 735 & 733 aircraft are returned off lease,i'd imagine many of those routes will be replaced by E170 aircraft operated by Republic. So,capacity will be reduced but frequency can be maintained,or thats what I see happening.

If US enters C7,that would provide UA with huge potential revenue & passenger increase down the east coast,though I really hope US can pull through these difficult times.
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

United Airline

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:06 pm

Wonder if we will see LAX- HKG again one day.

HKG-DEN. Is that possible?

DLKAPA

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:25 pm

Show me some NRT-DEN or KIX-DEN. That's what we need.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

bahadir

RE: Which UA Hub Will Suffer The Most From Downsiz

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm

UA has already closed the MIA hub. Do not expect more cuts from them. There is a lingering though of increasing Ted service but I will have to see it to belive it. If it wasn't for $55/barrel oil prices UAL Inc. would be profitable by now. The airline has been showing operational profit (a small one I might add) for the last few months.
Earthbound misfit I

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:33 am

UA has already closed the MIA hub

I wouldn't classify MIA as a hub and, afaik, UA never did either. Keeping MIA open was stupid. Toward the end, most connecting pax who wanted to go to EZE or GRU would have had to double connect anyway (MSP-ORD-MIA-GRU or some such), so shifting those flights to ORD and IAD saved money because it allowed the closing of a base and also made more sense for pax... a win-win situation.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

burnsie28

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:03 am

Show me some NRT-DEN or KIX-DEN. That's what we need.

Your more likely to see that from NW then UA.

STT757

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:08 am

Without even going into the discussion from a week or two ago about Gordon Bethune's CO/UAL comments I think it would be in both companies interest if CO and UAL were to become partners.

CO leaves DL and NWA and UAL leaves US Airways.

The two compliment each other well, UAL has Heathrow and CO has 24 other European destinations and their EWR hub.

UAL has the NRT hub and CO has their Air Micronesia operation including 8 Japanese Cities.

CO has the IAH hub and vast Mexico, Central American, Latin American and Carribean operations. UAL has route authorities to Argentina, Uraguay, Chile, Brazil etc..
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

NWAFA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:09 am

DEN is a cash cow, from what I read and hear. Yet this so called business plan of focusing on International flying, DEN would be hit as they don't fly accross the ponds from/to DEN.

IAD maybe...it also depends if Indy Air makes it or not...ORD may be hit becuse of traffic restraints. SFO is UA to call theirs.

It will be interesting to see what the Indepent firm that is going to look at UA's business plan says about UA..
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

alphascan

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:31 am

UA's domestic downsizing is a minimal 3% after UAX makes up for the rest of the cuts. It won't have much effect on any hub unless, of course, you are an employee.

STT757;

CO is contractually obligated to honor their marketing agreement with NW until 2025. The only way to get around this agreement, other than buying it out, is to file for bankruptcy. Either way, it certainly is NOT in CO's financial interest to partner with UA.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

NWAFA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:36 am

STT,

With CO now apart of SkyTeam, it is totally in their best interest to not leave both the SkyTeam and NWA.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

AA777

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:10 am

They will keep IAD-- Its UA's biggest hub going eastwards-- international flights. UA serves all over europe, with multiple flights to LHR, MUC, CDG, AMS, EZE, DUS, FRA, ZRH, GRU, BRU, MEX, SJO.

They would be stupid to slow down IAD ops. If anything, they should up them, and lose some of the ORD ops that I know AA dominates. Keep DEN, and Keep SFO. LAX could stay as is.

-AA777

moose1226

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:18 am

AA777, UA does NOT server DUS from IAD.

StevenUhl777

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:24 am

I agree with AA777:

UA has invested a lot of time and money to build IAD from what it was to what it is right now, and this won't change anytime soon, especially given the restrictions at ORD right now.

I think LAX will the most affected, because UA can operate those flights out of SFO and let LAX disappear. All the int'l. flights operated out of LAX are also operated from SFO.

UA would be wise to drop LAX, and focus on SFO, DEN, ORD, and IAD.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

ScottB

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:43 am

It appears to me that part of the cuts in capacity will result from the introduction of the p.s. product on JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO. My thinking is that LAX will see significant mainline cuts: most non-hub, non-transcon, non-international routes from LAX will go all-Express (or be discontinued) given heavy competition at LAX. Mainline will probably disappear from LAX-SMF and LAX-OAK, and some LAX-PDX and LAX-SEA frequencies might become Skywest CR7's. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see LAX-MCO, LAX-DFW, and LAX-MSY end completely. Nor would I be surprised to see Ted pulled off of LAX-LAS. And LAX-BWI might even be on the chopping block (or given over to Ted).

IAD, in my opinion, will probably see flights on routes like IAD-MSY, IAD-DFW, IAD-BDL, IAD-LGA, and IAD-BOS turned over to E170's and CR7's. The transcons and hub routes will probably stay as is from IAD. Certain routes that see mostly 733's and 735's from ORD will probably be turned over to 70-seat RJ's. BUF, ROC, ALB, BTV, and possibly even places like PVD and MHT may lose mainline (replaced by 146's and CR7's/E170's) to ORD, just like PWM and SYR have.

My thinking is that SFO will remain relatively unscathed (why just let Virgin USA take your market without a fight) and that DEN will probably see minimal cuts so as to continue the pressure on F9.

avek00

Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:08 am

STT,

With CO now apart of SkyTeam, it is totally in their best interest to not leave both the SkyTeam and NWA.

How do you figure that? SkyTeam is nothing more than a business deal to be used when it suits the whims of the member airlines. Given the fact that CO brings little to SkyTeam that other members do not already cover, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if CO was/is courted for Star membership, especially if US Airways fails.
Live life to the fullest.

MSYtristar

Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:36 am

I wouldn't look for LAX-MSY to stop operating. There's too much O&D traffic in the market for UA to ignore. They are in fact adding a 3rd daily seasonal flight this year, which will operate through mid December. UA has a stronghold on the LAX-MSY market. You'll probably see them adding 757's in the market once runway 10/28 goes out of service early next year.

nosedive

Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:53 am

Your more likely to see that from NW then UA.

I'd love to see the O/D numbers that would warrent such a flight.....

nzblue

Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:49 am

A lot of the remaining UA International Operations from LAX have carved a niche for United. Simply dropping a lot of those routes from LAX would not be a good move, in my opnion.

When it comes to the international operations from LAX (particularly to Central America, where UA serves GUA, SAL, and SJO (1-stop)), moving these flights north to depart from SFO would cause a significant loss of UA presence and built-up market share from the Los Angeles market. No one is going to want to fly north on United from LA only to connect and fly south from SFO. United will loose out on the Mexico/Central American market in Los Angeles, and this is a very important market as these flights typically go out very, very full.

Similarly, the same can be said for LAX-SYD operations. If UA pulled out of the LAX-SYD market and flew 2x daily SFO-SYD, Qantas would have a field day as they would have a monopoly on this route. Yes, one could fly partner airline NZ to SYD, but with a stop in AKL or CHC first, and when it comes to flights of THAT length, more people would opt for a non-stop, in my opinion. So, without UA or another Star Alliance carrier in that particular market, there would be a considerate amount of loss for a route that I have heard to be quite profitable for United.

I think that the LAX international operations are, really, just right for United right now based on the international markets UA serves from LAX. By that I mean that the international focus from LAX is in the right places. I don't think that any international routes need to be let go of at LAX. On the contrary, I think UA should focus its international ops from LAX with more Mexican/Central American destinations from LAX to better serve the local-area market.

1x/daily to NRT with a 744 is a good partner to SQ's/ANA's operations.
1x/daily to LHR with a 772 keeps UA's LAX passengers connected with Europe (as well as complement NZ's own 1x/daily LAX-LHR operation).
1x/daily to MEX with an A320, I think, could stand to see a few more frequencies, perhaps with a mix of larger aircraft (757).
1x/daily to SAL with an A320 is just about right for this market.
1x/daily to GUA with a 757 is also just about right for this market, as well.
1x/daily to SJO (1-stop) with a 757 might be better operated as non-stop daily with a 757 or A320.
1x/daily & 3x/additional weekly to SYD keeps QF in competition and complements NZ's LAX-AKL/CHC service.

A model that may work (the way that would seem like the most logical way for UA to handle, continue to handle, and expand its international operations and maintain its five US hubs is):

ORD - Focus strength/growth on Europe, South America, Canada and operate only a few key Asia-Pacific and other Latin America markets
IAD - Focus strength/growth on Europe, Caribbean, South America, Canada, and Latin America (Mexico/Central America) markets
DEN - Focus strength/growth on Latin America, Caribbean, Canada and in the future operate only a few key Europe/Asia markets
SFO - Focus strength/growth on Aisa-Pacific, Europe, Canada and operate only a few key Latin America, Mexico/Central America markets
LAX - Focus strength/growth on Latin America, Mexico/Central America, and only operate a few key Asia-Pacific, Canada, and Europe markets

Of course, I am no route management god by any stretch of the imagination, but if United grouped its hubs to serve those destinations that already operate strongly from each of them respectively, then I think United could stand to align itself as a focused international carrier.

All this, of course, is only my humble opinion.

Regards,
NZblue
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

JoFMO

Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:06 am

@NZBlue:

I would support your comments about LAX. US has a stronghold on California and it doesnt make sence for southward destinations to backtrack to SFO. And I think there are still some routes which can be developed south of LAX. To Middle America and South America from California the market is dominated by foreign carriers. AA and CO tend to serve southern routes via DFW and IAH. SCL is only a onestop via LIM, EZE isn't served nonstop and for BOG I also cant find a nonstop. And because UA doesn't have other good South American hub through which they could route their traffic from California, I think they should open some new routes to south of LAX.

My suggestions for new UA routes from LAX:

LAX-GDL
LAX-MTY
LAX-MGA
LAX-PTY
LAX-BOG-CCS
LAX-GYE-LIM
LAX-SCL-EZE

On the domestic side I hope that LAX will get some more TED flights to other major cities. Passengers to their South Pacific flights often need to transfer two times because cities like DTW, MSP, STL, MCI, MIA, ATL, IAH doesn't have direct flights to LAX. One or two daily TED flights from these major markets should be considered by UA.

MSYtristar

Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:31 am

The problem with flying a lot of Ted flights into LAX is that LAX is a big time business market. You'd see mainline UA operate routes like LAX-ATL/MIA/DTW which have a good amount of higher yield business traffic. Ted is great for leisure markets, but it doesn't work so well in busines markets, where First Class service is expected.

RayChuang

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:55 pm

It would be hard to downsize SFO operations because SFO is UA's largest hub for transpacific flights, with plentiful feeder flights from other cities served by UA mainline and SkyWest (United Express) flights. That's why the vast majority of UA's 747-400 fleet operate from SFO.

AAplatnumflier

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:03 pm

If UA dropped LAX that would be utterly horrible. Isnt a lot of their 1k fliers down here in Southern California? As a matter of fact I have three 1K fliers downhear that I am good friends with.

uaord2000

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:09 am

Den will stay the same, its too big of a cash cow for UA. IAD is too big of an international gateway to cut domestic feeders. SFO is UA's largest international hub. ORD is going to be effected significantly. Domestic capacity will decrease substantially and i bet at least 5 new widebody intl destinations will be added. A few europe, but maybe a couple asia surprises. Overall, i dont think that the decrease in domestic capacity will be noticeable other than in ORD. My humble opinion Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ordflyer

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:28 am

I can see a few domestic changes at ORD and adding some int'l flights, although I don't forsee huge changes in capacity as UAORD2000 mentioned. ORD is UA's biggest hub and headquarters, I doubt they are willing to cut back too much and allow AA, thier biggest competitor at ORD, to roll in.
My wild guess is that IAD will be affected the most, but not sure how. I guess we should be finding out in the near future.

Carpethead

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:39 am

Skywest & Republic have a bunch of CRJ700 & ERJ170s on order. These will effectively replace the 733/735 aircraft being withdrawn. It's a loss of 30 to 50 seats per aircraft in capacity, but it's most likely the loss of 30 to 50 cheap fare tickets. Hopefully UA can shore-up their bottom-line.
In these trying times, there maybe a handful of new int'l routes but I don't see UA pulling out of any more markets.

UA744Flagship

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:21 am

I have it on good authority that DEN will transition to more RJs, less mainline. That's what will happen.

Other hubs not so much affected.
no wire hangers!

Thrust

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:31 am

DEN certainly seems to be a prime candidate for losing a lot of UA mainline. Since UA has specifically stated they are focusing on more lucrative international routes, and cutting back on domestic flights, and since DEN is primarily domestic, it makes since that they will suffer the most of the UA hubs from the cutbacks. UA has certainly indicated they are not going to be using DEN as an international hub....I would have to argue that SFO and ORD will be the least affected by these cuts, and that IAD and DEN will suffer the most. IAD is too congested already in my opinion. LAX, SFO, and ORD probably won't be terribly affected by the cutbacks.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

UA744Flagship

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:35 am

IAD won't change much. In fact it will see an increase in capacity should I-air file BK and scale back.
no wire hangers!

Thrust

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:38 am

Really? So does this mean that UA might wind up starting even more international service out of IAD????
Fly one thing; Fly it well

JoFMO

Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:08 am

The fact that UA will extend it's international network does not mean that they will not downsice their domestic network at their hubs.

So I see not much changes in California, maybe some mainline replaced by regional jets.
Denver will loose a lot mainline to express.
Chicago will loose some frequencies because of combining some regionals to less mainline flights.So they can ease congestion in ORD and free up some slots for net international flights.
Washington depends a lot waht will happen with flyI and US. If they both stay alive I see the fewest changes in IAD. Most of the destinations only have few regionals so far and downsizing them would mean to reduce the functionality of IAD as a hub.

flashmeister

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:32 pm

I can definitely see DEN losing 'gauge' in markets where UA is dominant and there isn't touch with F9. For the F9 markets, I'd bet that we'd either see Ted or no change whatsoever in what they do today.

This will make for an interesting argument when -- not if -- the issue of gate space on A comes up again. I forget: is United still getting their regional terminal at the end of B? If so, I can't see how they're going to argue that they should keep the space on A if they're getting more RJ space and flying fewer mainline planes. How long until DEN finds itself in that mess again?

DLKAPA

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:43 pm

For the moment the gate issue has been resolved. Right now United puts all the TED flights in their gates over on A. The mainline and express flights should be staying over on B (hopefully otherwise when I get in on Thursday we don't have a gate  Laugh out loud ).

...back to homework for me
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

N1120A

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:57 pm

>LAX-GDL
LAX-MTY
LAX-MGA
LAX-PTY
LAX-BOG-CCS
LAX-GYE-LIM
LAX-SCL-EZE<

Those routes are good ideas, but there are problems there. UA is not allowed to fly to GDL, as the rules say that you can only have 2 mexican and 2 american carriers on a route at one time. DL and AS are the ones on the GDL route. Every airline could fill an LAX-GDL flight, as a great deal of the Mexican population in the Southland has roots in GDL. I definately like the idea of more South American service. It is a glaring hole at LAX, as we no longer have Avianca, and only 1X RG LAX-GRU-GIG and 1X Lan LAX-LIM-SCL-EZE. What about the rumors that we are getting AR back?

As far as domestic, Tom is dead on about MSY. UA and WN enjoy a strong duopoly on the route, with UA offering more non-stops. When they need the 757's performance to fly the route, they will also get a bigger gauge, which will still go out full. Their prices are never dirt cheap, never too expensive, making it perfect for good yields and loads. Also, most of their CA routes are shared only with WN and there are plenty of Mileage Plus members that want to fly UA. Finally, their strong express network into LAX is perfect to serve these flights. Remember, LAX is the number 1 O&D airport in the world, and airlines are well served by it
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ord

Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:43 pm

"Chicago will loose some frequencies because of combining some regionals to less mainline flights."

O'Hare will not lose any mainline. The market is way too competitive with American for United to make any cuts. Besides, being United's hometown and #1 airport means O'Hare will be spared any downsizing.