AEROFAN

WHY Are NON Revs Treated SO Badly

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:18 pm

Why are non revs treated so badly by checkin staff of most airlines. Sometimes even on your own carrier you are treated as though u are an inconvenience.

Why is that? Can any members who work in such areas shed some light?

Kohflot

RE: WHY Are NON Revs Treated SO Badly

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:21 pm

I can probably count on one hand the times I wasn't treated with utmost respect in my non-revving. And for each of those times, there are likely two or three occasions when an employee actually went out of their way for me when they didn't have to.
Ask why..

QANTASforever

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:22 pm

I have no idea at all.
I remember one family vacation we were travelling from St. Louis to Milwaukee - we were waiting at the gate and there was our family of four and another three single non-revs. This guy let every single one of those single non-revs and then told us that there wasn't enough room for all four of us so my dad would have to stay in St. Louis another night.

TWA didn't like Qantas or something?

Even if I could - I wouldn't fly TWA again.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

cancidas

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:28 pm

in my few non-rev trips so far, i was treated decently only once. when it comes to non-revs flying on my airline, i treat them with more dignity and respect than others, even if they're not working for my carrier. why other agents treat us like crap, i'll never know...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

andz

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:28 pm

The only time I ever had a problem was when travelling from DUS to LHR. I had an LH rebate via the alliance with SAA, I don't remember the exact discussion but initially the check in clerk refused to even take my ticket because one of his colleagues had had a bad experience with SAA!

After several requests (and much muttering in German to his co workers) he reluctantly called his supervisor who put me on the flight without question.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

SparkyN501

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:29 pm

I think that a few bad experiences you may have had has made it seem like all non-revs are treated badly. I really don't think that is the case. Most airline employees use their travel benefits, so they treat other non-revs the same way they would want to be treated.

I too have been treated like I had personally insulted a gate agent while non-revving, but on the other hand I have been upgraded to first more times than I can count. The trick is not to bother the agent. Don't keep asking how it looks, if you can change your seat, if there is room in first, or anything else. Do whatever you need to do to get verified, and then get out of the way. The gate agent won't forget about you, but they will get rude if you are in the way!
Arguing with a pilot is like mudwrestling a pig. After awhile you begin to think the pig likes it.

FlewGSW

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:30 pm

Rule # 1. Don't expect anything. Save service for the paying passengers.
Rule # 2. If you expect more, see rule #1.

The only key issue is how paying passengers view some passengers not getting the same quality of service that they are getting.

It use to be when it came time for meals, the Flight Attendants would skip non-revs and then go back and offer them what was left, if any. Now they ask in order with everyone else, and only come back to the non-revs at service time if they could not fill the order.

nonrevman

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:31 pm

The vast majority of my trips have been pleasant as far as the experience with fellow employees goes. Then again, it helps to keep a low profile, especially when the gate agents and flight attendants are very busy.

flying-b773

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:53 pm

Pardon my lack of knowledge, wat does non rev means?

Kohflot

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:59 pm

Flying-b773:

"non rev" means non-revenue. It means the airline isn't making money from your traveling. It's essentially employee pleasure travel, companion pass travel, etc. Because it's free or very inexpensive, it's standby travel. A seat is not assured.
Ask why..

acidradio
Crew

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:22 pm

Sometimes it is animocity between carriers. When I worked for Mesaba, I heard a few horror stories from coworkers who were treated very poorly by NW counter agents who feel that non-union (and lower paid) Mesaba is trying to steal their higher-wage union jobs away. Usually I had good experiences with NW counter staff when I worked there, as we were all kind of the same corporate family in a way. Airline employees do have some rivalries at times, even if it isn't about something as serious.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

AEROFAN

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:25 pm

Errrrrrrr, who says that the airline isn't making any money from your ticket? Unless your carrier has a zed agreement in place with another carrier, non revving can be sorta expensive. An ID 90 to the the UK can turn out to be at least 200.00. which isn't all that much difference than some fares u can find.

N160LH

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:28 pm

For the most part non revs fly free.... that means little or no money for the airline. If you non rev, you should know the drill. So this means you should not try not to bug the agents that are trying to keep the airline (you are flying free on) in business. So if you non rev remember this "sit down... hang on... and shut up."

N160LH
"I do alright up in the air, its down on the ground that I tend to mess up..."

airplaneboy

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:38 pm

I've had many positive experiences, though many negative ones as well. Of course, I never hassle the agent, let alone ask them what the load looks like. That's why I call reservations (if it's on another airlines) an hour before departure. Standard procedure- wait in the gate area...if you've checked-in....they will call your name if you're getting on. If not, wait for the next flight.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Even still, just giving the agent my standby boarding pass (some airlines collect them at the gate and hold on to them until they call you up with a confirmed seat) for some reason makes some of them mad or something- even though I wait in line until no revenue passengers are standing behind me. I wish agents would all just respect each other....especially if you're working for the same company.

My station manager told all of his staff something I completely agree with:

Treat all non-revenue pax politely and with respect. Don't be mean. If they're not listed for a flight, don't turn them away and tell them to call reservations- JUST LIST THEM. There's nothing hard about that. We all share benefits on each other's airlines and it's not difficult to just list someone. What's the big deal in helping each other out? We'd certainly want to be treated the same if and when we non-revved on that person's airline.

I couldn't agree more!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I have been fortunate (like some who have posted here) to have met agents who for no reason-- upgrade me to first class even though there are plenty of economy/coach seats in the back. Much appreciated! Even though we don't have first class, I always try to give our non-revs/other airline non-revs the seat(s) they want.

Anyway....there's nothing better than being able to chill and fly happy!

Fly safe!~

Cheers! Big grin

zippyjet

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:41 pm

We treat others the way we like to be treated. As a matter of fact, many of my fellow co-workers have gone out of their way for me when I travelled through ATL, TPA, FLL and MIA. Now, there are times when we have to follow some "interesting" proceedures within the company which at times I do not agree with. More red tape for us working and our fellow non-revvers. Only friction I've encountered is with non rev/out of the industry pax; usually buddy pass folks that don't fly the party line. Dress code infractions, poor time management (late to the gate/ticket counter). However, I'd say 95% of them are well schooled and do the dance and things go smoothley.
Through the normal day to day operations, situations where non revvers or their charges get out of line, it comes back to bite them. Yeah there are always going to be rivalries between carriers and even within station to station but by and large there is a bond/brotherhood or sisterhood amongst us. We are a unique breed and are like one big extended if somewhat dysfunctional family.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

burnsie28

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:45 pm

I have no idea at all.
I remember one family vacation we were travelling from St. Louis to Milwaukee - we were waiting at the gate and there was our family of four and another three single non-revs. This guy let every single one of those single non-revs and then told us that there wasn't enough room for all four of us so my dad would have to stay in St. Louis another night.

TWA didn't like Qantas or something?

Even if I could - I wouldn't fly TWA again.

QFF

In your case, assuming that your dad worked for Qantas, you have the lowest priority, its TWA guys first, then some others, then probably you.

jmhLUV2fly

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:46 pm

In the nearly three years I have been in the airline business, I can honestly say that yes sometimes Non-Revenue passengers can get lessor friendlier treatment.....and the thing is this...say for example you have an oversold flight, your working your tail off to try and get enough volunteers to off the extra passengers and then all of a sudden a airline employee, a crewmember pilot, flight attendant somebody and in some cases they arent even an employee of your airline shows up and wants you to list them for a flight that already oversold...you kinda wanna just scream already and say please try again another day.
I also believe that non-revenue passengers tend to expect alot from time to time for a seat they never paid for to begin with, yes they work hard for an airline and deserve the beniefits, but hey...be happy with a free seat and be done with that. Every now then Ill have nonrevs, that complain about there seat...one time I had a lady actually pay freaken unacompanied minor 75 dollar fee to send her child to her destination...hello, you can fly for free take your child there your self and fly back....so all in all...people do amaze me...they get something for free of cost and still complain...go figure.
My thoughts....
JMH

CactusA319

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:02 pm

Never had too many problems while non-revving, but I guess it was because I tried to choose flights that I had a better than 50% chance of making. I would check the loads on the CRS or call rez a couple of hours before the flight to make sure. Once at the gate, I checked in, got listed, whatever, and kept a low-profile. Staying out of the agents hair until they call you up to get on. Attitude is also key. A smile, a compliment, a funny comment, hell even a little mild flirting goes a long way. I would ingratiate myself with the agent for a minute or two then get the hell out of the way. Worked quite well.

airplaneboy

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:03 pm

Jmhluv2fly-

I agree with what you're saying and can completely relate. If a flight is oversold and you're looking for revenue volunteers to take a later flight with compensation, non-revs should no that they should leave the gate area and try plan "b." All non-revs should have a plan "b, c, d, etc." if they plan on travelling for free. We're all taught the rule of thumb when we enter the business. If a flight's oversold, the agent has minimal time to find volunteers and get the flight out on time.

I find that I, as an agent, encounter most of my non-rev problems with buddy pass riders. Some know the drill and are great with respect and understanding. Others get angry if they don't make a flight. When they express their anger and become rude-- especially in front of our paying customers- I politely but firmly let them know the policies of travelling on a buddy pass. They travel at an EXTREMELY discounted rate because of someone who works at our company and their priority DOES NOT go above that of our dear paying customers. If their behavior and rudeness continues in front of our passengers, I let them know that they will not be allowed to travel if their behavior continues and that having the ability to travel for free or at a discounted rate is a privilege in the airline industry, not so much a right. No other industry is like ours when it comes to benefits. Because of our pass/free travel benefits, the world is a lot smaller for airline employees and their loved ones. I kindly offer them to step away from the podium (I sometimes have to say "please" over and over again) and that they'll have to wait for the next flight or that their name will be called if a seat becomes available.....This is one of my pet peeves...especially when you have many revenue passengers standing in line to ask you questions that are obviously more important than a buddy-pass rider's demands to be treated like a regular revenue passenger.

Phew! The ins and outs of the airline biz!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I must say, the positives outweigh the negatives much much more! Big grin

Cheers!

QANTASforever

Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:46 pm

In your case, assuming that your dad worked for Qantas, you have the lowest priority, its TWA guys first, then some others, then probably you.

Still, the guy was a bastard for breaking up a family on our trip. If I was an airline employee and it came to a situation like the one I discribed - I wouldn't break up a family.

Does anyone know if seniority within one airline translates to non-revving on other airlines? My dad was a QF employee for 35 years, if he had travelled in his last year of work with (say) US Airways, would he have been on the same level as a QF employee of 5 years?

QFF

ordflyer

Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:55 pm

Does anyone know if seniority within one airline translates to non-revving on other airlines?
In my experience, no. It was our airline's employees first based on seniorty, then other airlines after that.

NLINK

Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:56 pm

Senority from one airline means nothing on another usually.

thaigold

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:43 pm

G'day

Just a quick question:

If you work for one airline will you then be able to fly non-rev on all other airlines. Or does your airline have to have a special agreement with other airlines?
Dunbar Rovers forever

NWFltAttendant

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:52 pm

Ive never had any problems non-reving and many times have noticed it to be an advantage....as in all my dealings, airline people help other airline people... in some cases more than a passenger would get helped.
Go yakkin !!!!!!

Vimanav

Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:30 pm

With hundreds of flights since childhood as non-rev, trust me I am still to come across somebody who is wilfully nasty to a non-rev. I've been bumped off flights several times with no alternate arrangements but even that as far as I remember was done politely with a shrug of the shoulder - in India, Far East and Europe. There is often a lot of inter-airline rivalry but unless there is a personal grouse somebody holds against you or your airline, it is rare to see them treating you badly. I feel BA and AI have the best interline policies. You get your class as per your position and the reason for travel - vacation or duty. Similarly if you are in the premium classes, they allow you the use of their facilities like lounge, Fast track clearance (on BA) etc. like any other fare paying passenger. LH and KU are both scrimpy on this. An N1 in their premium classes does not mean you can use their lounges.

If one holds a J/cl space available ticket on any carrier except IC, I have seen that you could check in at the J/cl counter and no questions asked. However IC has some peculiar requirements. They first ask you to check in at the Y/cl counter and collect your boarding pass in Y/cl, then meet the Manager on Duty who does a forensic check of your ticket and tells you that UPG-J written on your ticket is undecipherable. You plead with him that UPG-J is indeed an upgrade to J/cl and it is not printed on the ticket by your printer at home. Then willy nilly, he will endorse the ticket exactly 5 minutes before boarding time and tell you to go the J/cl check-in counter to re-check yourself in J/cl PHEW!!!

In India as far as interline ticket requests go, SQ and TG are very very stringent in granting interline requests and often gives one a booking status lower than an empty mail bag. The bright side is that other airlines tend to give them much the same treatment when they apply for an interline ticket.

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

XNV

Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:52 pm

I always treat non-revs well. All passengers whether they paid $10 or $1000 for their ticket are still passengers and should be treated well. I have almost always been treated very well as a non-rev with very few exceptions.

Here are some reasons why I have denied (and will continue to do so) non-revs boarding, or given them a verbal warning, or written them up:

-Showing up LATE and bringing your ATTITUDE with you

-Poor dress (I am flexible, but muddy shoes, dirty ripped jeans and a t-shirt don't cut it). Rule of thumb - regardless of how casual a dress code is ALWAYS wear a shirt with a collar and nice shoes.

-Showing up DRUNK (yes, sometimes very drunk)

-Getting to the counter with a big line behind you and then deciding to get organized, filling out your tickets, your bag tags, talking on your cell phone, taking up a lot of agent time while others wait

-Not informing your parents or guest pass holders of the rules, and they show up, late, unaware of the rules, unaware they are standby, etc.

-Demanding special rules for yourself like insisting on carrying on a bag that is way too big

-Complaining about your seat assignment. Be glad you got a seat at all. I'm sorry if you wanted to sit with your friend, but when the flight is full there is very little I can do.

-Freaking out if you get bumped. If you had an important event/meeting/concert to get to you should have planned further ahead or bought a revenue ticket. I don't care how upset you are, if you yell at me you won't be getting on the next flight either. Let me finish up with this flight and then I will be more than happy to do everything I can to find you an alternate routing.

It's really quite simple - show up early, check in, be polite and organized, feel
free to ask how the flight looks (I will gladly tell you how it looks for standby, I personally think it's a fair question to ask) and get to the gate early. If your spouse/partner/designated travel companion/guest is traveling on your pass read them the rules well in advance. I think the reason my father rarely travels on my passes is he is scared that if he misbehaves he knows how I will respond!

Also - here's another tip: If you are traveling with someone else decide if you will split or not. Sometimes there will only be one seat left and you have to decide if one of you will go and the next person will take the next flight. Be ready for this question - you don't have time to make a few phone calls to sort this out - it's yes or no. If you can't figure it out right away I will go to the next person, I can't delay the flight for you.

And yes, as my mother says, "it don't hurt to flirt." She has managed to charm her way into business class and onto very oversold flights more than once.

Be good to non-revs - the day will come when you will be at their mercy and they will remember how you treated them. SPREAD GOOD ZED KARMA!

B747-437B

Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:25 pm

Why are non revs treated so badly by checkin staff of most airlines.

Maybe its just you?
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Leskova

Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:38 pm

Interesting to see how different things are between non-rev travel for airline employees and, the version that I know, discounted travel for travel agents...

Even with an Austrian Airlines PEP-Ticket ("Product Experience" ticket) in Economy Class, I was allowed into the LH Business Class lounge because of my LH FTL card... and on none of my AD-tickets in Business Class have I ever had trouble getting into a lounge, and I was never treated differently than someone flying on a "normal" ticket.

Considering how rocky the relationships between airlines and agencies are these days, I guess it's almost surprising that we're still treated as well as normal passengers.

On the other hand, I've always tried to be as friendly as possible - I've almost always offered to either take a later flight or, if necessary, accept a downgrade if the plane is full - and I always received a "thank you for the offer", have never had my offer actually taken up, and twice received lounge access vouchers while flying in economy class...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

JAXpax

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:51 pm

In my experience, no. It was our airline's employees first based on seniorty, then other airlines after that.

At some carriers, it isn't even by seniority. At American, it is (or was) by check-in time within your standby classification, with any passengers making connections (in transit) bumped to the top of the list for their standby class. The goal is to not strand non-revs on a layover somewhere.

COEWR2587

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:08 pm

Not on CO. They're the one's who end up taking the elite's upgrades. Half the time, F class is filled w/ employees. I've heard about this for UA too.
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

flpuck6

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:18 pm

Great question Aerofan.

I wonder the same thing myself.

Unfortunately at my station, I am only an agent. If I had any say in the matter, I'd try my best to accomodate non-revs as best as I could, i.e. in business class!

Although, I must say that little by little in the past year, I have been seeing an improvement of the treatmeant of non-revs at our hub. Non-revs out of our station, however, are still lucky to be cleared in J-class. Only employees of the station are cleared there.

The worst part is our "non-rev relationship" with our main codesharing partner. At CDG, we don't help them out, so in ATL they don't help us out and vice versa, which totally sucks! So I try to do my best when I see them where I work, at least try to get them an aisle or a window and not stuck in the middle!

C'mon guys, let's take care of each other!
Bonjour Chef!

ContinentalEWR

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:44 pm

I think it's awful. I have flown over 500,000 miles on Continental Airlines in the past decade plus, and redeemed an award for a flight to London in October, in BusinessFirst. From start to finish, the staff were less than pleasant and I was treated differently than paying passengers. The result is that frankly, after 15 years of loyalty to Continental, even when it was truly the worst airline in America, I will take my business elsewhere. The point of redeeming those miles is that there is always the risk the airlines will rescind their programs, now perhaps more than ever. My business will go to the cheapest ticket, and increasingly, that seems to be JetBlue.

Continental's service overall has remained consistently good despite the industry's trouble, but I should be treated better. I flew them weekly when they were on their knees.

ContinentalEWR

addi375

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:28 pm

I will avoid non-rev on Delta like the plague.
they are horrible....

The supervisor ripped up my boarding pass infront of everyone, threw it in my face and screamed .... when I travel on you airline they wouldnt upgrade me so you are not sitting in business and if anyone puts you in business, I will make sure they get fired...............

All this happened at the gate infront of everyone........

I was very nice to everyone,,,,didnt ask for business, hte agent at the gate was the one who did it...
needles to say, when I got onboard the purser upgraded me after the agent told her what happened outside.

Needless to say....if DL has one stop to get there and the other airline has 3...I am on the other airline....
Walmart prices with Bloomies service...........

NWAFA

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:37 pm

UA usually treats me very well while Non-Reving...But then 99% of the time I am flying out of DEN and the agents there are usually really nice, unlike what I see in ORD. WN, PHX agents are rude, rude and rude..ABQ agents are nicier...AA is just bad to Non-Rev on, the agents have never been nice, the Flight Attendants are rude as heck...Love AS to Non-Rev! CO can be hit or miss...HP in ABQ they are GREAT! PHX, it can be hit or miss...

When I non-rev, I usually bring treats for both the agents and Flight Attendants, just a jester to maybe put a smile on their faces and make there day a bit better. I also do not expect anything since I am just that, A NON REV.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

QANTASforever

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:01 am

I've seen many conversations at the desk in the QF domestic terminal in Sydney like this:

"Sir, Madam - when did you each join Qantas?"

"1998" "1984"

"Madam, here is your boarding card, Sir - If you wait over there I'll let you know when we can get you on."

I'm surprised other airlines aren't the same way.

QFF

JRadier

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:05 am

I non-rev quite a lot as well, as my father works at KLM. Actually most of my flights were non-rev (the only full-fare flight was on Air Berlin), so I can't really see how they treat me difirently.

I try to be not much of a problem to the groundcrew while checking in etc. I allways try to be listed, and if I was not able to I know the flightnumber. When the check-in agent isn't too busy (read: long lines) I ask what the load looks like. I allways try to be polite and friendly, but not overdoing it (be as swift as possible). Mostly then it's off to the gate, if they are not busy give them my boardingpass (need to do that here, well, I guess, have to ask my dad once), sit down and STFU.

On board I sit down where my boardingpass tells me (tho I try to be the last to board, to see if better seats are available). I don't ask anything special from the crew, and be nice.

This seems to work, groundstaff are usually nice, tho sometimes at other carriers (mostly LH) they aren't really that friendly, you can see they don;t really want you, but hey, I don't mind, as long as I fly I'm happy. Crew on board haven't treated me any difirently from other pax.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

CRJ 900

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:18 am

ON AC it is also hit and miss. Although recently it seems to be getting better. The thing that I find funny is, the agents who are rude seem to act like they never travel themselves and it could never happen to them, yet I have had a strip torn off me for no reason on more than one occasion. I think they tend to forget, that what goes around could possibly come around again but they could be on the opposite side of the fence. They could be extremely rude to a FA and in turn be on their flight as a non-rev or hell they could be in a tight spot trying to get somewhere, request the jumpseat only to be denied because they were rude to a pilot at some point and that pilot has a very good memory (my personal favorite). I am always up for helping someone out with the jump, I will always give someone a second chance but if you were rude to me for no reason or on more than one occasion, chances are I won't forget and if I am your last hope you may very well be stuck.TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED. I believe regardless of who you work for and what exactly it is you do for your airline we are all one big family (competition or not) and if it meets the travel policy you should help out your fellow employee,,, the industry recently has been very trying for us all with layoffs, paycuts CCAA(chapter 11) etc, and we all work hard so how about giving our fellow employee a little respect and common courtesy.

corey07850

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:34 am

I have flown over 500,000 miles on Continental Airlines in the past decade plus, and redeemed an award for a flight to London in October, in BusinessFirst. From start to finish, the staff were less than pleasant and I was treated differently than paying passengers.

ContinentalEWR.... Do you think that the cabin staff actually knows that you're on a reward ticket???

Still, the guy was a bastard for breaking up a family on our trip.

QANTASFOREVER--- Too bad! You're traveling on an airline that you don't even work for for free, and you expect to get on before the employees with the highest seniority that actually work for the particular carrier?? Rules are rules... How would you feel if you were traveling on Qantas with the 35 years seniority and a family of 4 traveling via a JetBlue pass got on before you because they "were a family" <
I can't count the times that my family of 4 would get bumped on USair flights (my dad worked for them for years)...

People need to stop expecting so much from non-rev travel... You're traveling for FREE or for a LOWWWWW price! Who cares if the gate agent gets upset and tells you to stop bothering her... there's no need to go rant on a.net about how mean she was or how poorly you were treated.

If you don't want to worry about getting bumped or treated poorly.... PAY

mirrodie

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:40 am

I think the blanket statement about non revs being treated badly is a bit too much. I have flown non-rev quite a few times and been treated well each times.

The interaction with the gate agent is bilateral. You have to accept as the non-rev that you are low priority and not to expect anything. You also have to realize that no matter the gate agent, if they are having a bad day, you might be a better target to vent their frustration than the paying passenger. (and I am not saying that is right or wrong, its merely human nature.)

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

HPA320

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:46 am

I must say that I agree with Corey07850.

As gate agentes, our duty is to get the flight out, safely and on time. As a result of this, sometimes you are in a rush because your time is running out and you don't want a delay on your flight.

Then, there comes the Non Rev who checked in just in the last place and starts saying "please, let me on board, I must get to XXX tonight". Your response is a very courteous one where you say "Ms. Please remain seated and I will call the SBY list in a few more minutes".

2 Minutes later, the same person comes right to you and now starts asking in a more demanding way for a seat. Your response is the same: "I will call the SBY list momentarily".

You clear the SBY and this person doesn't get a seat. They start yelling at you and now DEMANDS a seat. Says that he/she purchased that ticket way in advance and wants a seat.

Another case could be the Non Rev who arrives first into the airport (let's say a Buddy Pass Traveler), and right at the end of the check in process an employee, with a higher priority shows and kills the Buddy Pass Traveler's aspirations for a seat.

They still come and yell at you stating that they were first. You know what?
Sometimes the only think is to say "Pls, avoid me the pain of writting down a letter to our pass bureau and affect the person who gave you these pass".

Sometimes that's just enough  Big grin
America West Airlines. 1983-2005. The Journey Continues...

komododx

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:53 am

I'd just like to give a warning to everyone non-reving on AA out of BOG. The rudest, most arrogant counter/gate/ground staff in the WORLD! Sometimes I wonder if THEY don't get any non-reving benefits with AA because the only word that describes how I've been treated in 15+ non-rev trips is... SH!T. If there is anyone I reaaally dislike in this world (because "hate" is a hard word) are the people of AA in BOG.

Other than them, I've always been treated extremely well in all other airports by AA staff. Sometimes better than paying customers I would say.

What is ironic is that the crew on BOG-MIA flights I've had are always so kind, and even when flying coach they go the extra mile and treat me like a business passenger.

KdX in TLH
I'm homeless and unemployed

AA B777-200

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:08 am

I must say that I agree with most of you guys. I guess airlines are very much aware that non-revs aren't generating any cash, so what's the use of investing time in them?

Both working and non-reving I've had some pretty good experiences. Keep yourself low profile and don't push too hard.
I think non-reving is good since you get to see how it feels when you're on the other side of the line, depending on the groundhandling agents and crews.

With KLM we have a pretty good attitude towards non-reving, regardless of what company you work for. As long as you respect a company's policy I think you'll be okay (if there's open seats).

I've had amazing experiences with for example Air Canada, eventhough there not even a KLM partner. When I told that to the purser he smiled and said "In this business we have to look after eachother, right".

corey07850

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:27 am

I'd just like to give a warning to everyone non-reving on AA out of BOG. The rudest, most arrogant counter/gate/ground staff in the WORLD!

again, who cares!? Look at how much you are spending for your ticket... If you don't like it, then buy a ticket and stop complaining about how you're treated.

Personally, I'll take a verbal beating to get to fly for free... and usually with a good chance of first  Smile

midex461

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:28 am

First, Cactus, where are you based and why haven't you tried to go to SBA (or COS, ASE, ELP....)
Second, I would agree with the general statement. The main problem I've seen is people not telling their guest pass users the rules - Get checked in, Verify you're on the list at the gate, and then sit down and wait to be called. Don't keep coming up and asking me "Have you cleared standbys yet?". I may have been about to, but just for you coming up and asking, I'm gonna wait.
I would also agree with the statement about animosity. I work for YV in PHX, and HP treats us like the red - headed stepchild. Fortunatley, the gate agents I've run into have all been nice, but they have one agent at their PAC (Pax Assistance) Counter that was rude. I have also heard of an incident where one of their agents went in and re-ordered (yes, it can be done) the stand-by list on one of our(YV) flights to the benefit of their (HP) employees. I'll grant it's second hand info, but I also hear that, in IAH, the HP emoloyees will clear their guest pass travelers before they clear one YV employee.
BTW, for those who don't know, YV is to HP as OO is to DL.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

skywestguy

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:39 am

All i can say is be carefull non-reving on DL ive non-reved on them several times now and every time i was treated poorly. Also DL has one of the most strict dress codes out there for nonrevs! No jeans, no sandles, no shorts, must have a collard shirt etc etc...

Wes

AA B777-200

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:43 am

My buddies just non-reved on DL and the supervisor wasn't even aware of the ZED-carriers agreement. They refused them at first and then he said "well, there's nothing in your ticket that states you can't travel on DL, so I guess I'll take you on".

NWAFA

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:44 am

I only have problems with Dl in DFW and sometimes in SLC..ATL they have always been great!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

VS045

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:49 am

When I was younger we were bumped off five flights a day for five days, finally there was space on BA. Othere times, we get put through to the gate straight away and receive an upgrade.

Low profile.
Don't push.
Board last. (greater likelihood of an upgrade, cos everyone's already on the plane and the f/as can worry about you rather than everyone else).

Cheers,
VS045
4 engines 4 long haul

peachair

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:51 am

Skywestguy -

Delta does allow you to wear jeans in coach as a non-rev...

All -

I think sometimes gate agents forget that they too will be on the other side of the counter. Fortunately - automation is beginning to take out the guesswork for the agents. My own personal belief is that the agent should treat the non-rev like any other customer (without the INCOP perks of course). Likewise, non-revs should not expect to be treated like kings. Mutual respect for eachother and our travel experience will be much better. There is revenue to be made by the airlines with buddy passes - please make sure your buddy pass riders understand that they are on standby, and dont have a confirmed seat. I think many buddy pass riders figure since they paid for the ticket - that they are guaranteed a seat, so just manage their expectations before you give them a buddy pass.

Peachair

FlewGSW

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:28 am

Question. When you non-rev, does your airline, or airport, let you go to the gate, or do you have to wait at the ticket counter outside security?

I found it odd on BA and EDI that we had to stay at the ticket counter in the main lobby, getting our boarding pass just 10 minutes priot to departure, followed by running, security, more running, while gate agents wave their hands for you to hurry up, pant...pant....pant.....