Japan Air Lines New Color Scheme

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:57 am

Looking close at one Japan Air Lines aircraft... Why not to include
the round JAL crane logo in white; centered on the red part at the fin?
Also, putting the original red crane logo as part of letter "A" on the front fuselage "JAL" letters instead of that red/grey boomerang. What do you think?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

RE: Japan Air Lines New Color Scheme

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:05 am

Little too late for that now; this livery's been flying for what, two years now? Three?

Anyway the idea is to give the airline a new image, not keep the old one.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:39 am

Actually I prefer the new color scheme. I was not ever too fond of the crane. Besides I think the red sun in the tail is awesome in representation of Japan's flag.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:51 am

JL should have kept the old colors. Even the old-old colors are better than these two 'ugly' designs. No creatively whatsoever (just my opinion).
The partial red-tail sun is terrible too. If the base of the tail is covered, it can be mistaken with any other worldwide red-tailed carriers. At least the crane logo cried Japan Airlines.
There's just too much off-white on the fuselage which makes it boring. Just like the new Air Canada colors which I think is absolutely boring.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:03 am

I agree with AA623BDLSJU, the new color scheme is great and is in my mind one of the best in the world today. This scheme looks much more cooler than the one with the little crane on the tail grey and white everywhere else. Hope this scheme is around for a while. Also, isn't this supposed to be int the Aviation Polls section?

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:59 pm

Hi there,

I think the old scheme was much better than the new one. That doesn't mean it should not have been changed though, but I think it was not yet crying for change, if you ask me.

The new logo looks bad, like a regional bank or something, just one in a sea of other similar logos that you normally see on Japanese streets. That strange boomerang, as someone pointed out, and the font, which looks at least outdated. The red-sun tail looks no better, especially side-by-side with the new NWA livery (which was in fact introduced later, but which definitely has got that something in it).

Finally, I believe that the new livery is around for less than a year, but I may be wrong. A year at most, as I recall.

Just a thought. Yes, I know, I will probably get used to it anyway.

P.S.: Not to mention, that now JAL, JAA and JTA look all the same (the tails used to be different earlier). JAA was nothing special, but I quite liked the JTA sunset tail fin.
FAO - Flight Activities Officer