FATFlyer
Topic Author

Mexicana May Announce BFL Today

Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:52 am

TV and newspaper reports from Bakersfield this morning say that a press conference is planned to announce a new airline out of BFL. The media say that this will be to announce Mexicana service on BFL-GDL.

There have been discrete announcements from area politicians in the past few months that discussions were going on with Mexicana. There has also been discussions with DL about a SLC-BFL flight as well as cargo service to Europe from BFL.

http://kbak.bakersfield.com/front/story/5025651p-5082665c.html
http://www.bakersfield.com/local/story/5025623p-5084342c.html

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

pzurita1

RE: Mexicana May Announce BFL Today

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:10 am

If this happens, how many Californian airports will be served by MX?

LAX, SFO, SJO, FAT, SMF, BFL?

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:24 am

Don't forget OAK also.

planenutz

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:24 am

I didn;t even know that Bakeresfield had customs facilities. Wow.
That makes 6 cities in California for MX: LAX, BFL, OAK, SJC, SFO, SMF.
Not all who wander are lost....

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:26 am

Planenutz, Mexicana has also announced FAT service. Planning is currently underway to start FAT flights next year.

BFL has a new terminal underway. No current FIS but they could probably quickly make space in the new building.

as739x

Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:38 am

I think that is great.....what a site the ramp will be. 2 Skywest EMB2, 1 Eagle Saab, and a MX 319....jeez one of these is not like the other...o yeah, CO jungle jet. Go BKL!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:47 am

AS739X, Eagle no longer serves BFL.

PanAm747

Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:08 am

As a former Bakersfield resident (who flew out of the rinky-dink little airport many times!), I have always been amazed at how so small a facility ever got such a big runway. 30R/12L is over 10,000 feet long, and is considered an alternate landing site for the space shuttle (when using Edwards AFB). I am glad to see a terminal under construction suitable for attracting more airlines and customers...the old one had the style and glamour (not to mention the facilities!!) of a 1940's WWII Quonset hut.

With HP and CO firmly established there and doing extremely well, the next logical step would be establishing BFL-SLC (with Delta's upgrading of service at SLC), and possibly UA service to DEN (United Express is already there). Mexico service would be a crown jewel for the city, as would the cargo flights!

It is nice to see an airport that has been deserted time and time again rebound in such a positive way. I hope for good things for BFL in the future!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

LatinPlane

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:31 pm

FATflyer:

I always thought that Bakersfield could be a great alternative for Mexicana if Fresno never materialized. FAT is being a little too problematic with Mexicana's intended service. The only problem I saw was that the airport was way too small. I just don't know if the authorities will go out of their way to invest in a facility that will hold INS and custom services and whether INS would justify the cost of maintaining such a facility. Nonetheless, there is for sure a guaranteed customer base in need of direct service to the Mexican inland. There is a lot of money to be made on such routes.

On a different note, I don't know if at this time, Mexicana can support a flight to BFL and FAT at the same time. It would be trying to compete with itself. The driving distance between the two points is somewhat of a two hour drive, correct? And who is to say that the current problems being encountered at FAT will not be brought up again, this time by the farmers around the BFL area?

One thing is for sure, either airport that gets the prize of a direct Mexicana service is bound to have a brighter future as the prestige brought with such a route would be a great detonator in its own right for the consideration of future airline service by other carriers that on previous occasions have snubbed these two cities.

SmileLatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

N1120A

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:40 pm

MX could probably fill a 757 if they really wanted to into BFL, but I am wondering if they will build an FIS or will do a call out, considering that this will be the only international flight per day. Then again, they will need passport scan machines, so they might as well build a small area. If they started doing preclearance like they do in Canada, that would be really good. If you did that you could have an RJ service to Mexico from OXR (you could fill a 737)
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Blackhawk144

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:29 pm

Hello,

Thats great news for BFL, although I don't know if they could fill up a 757 with 90,000 tickets a year, but who knows? I found that on average, the flights from BOI-IAH were about 22 people per flight...yet the loads are awesome, and I won't be surprised at all to see a 737 on the route soon.

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos