lmml 14/32

GlobeGround/Servisair To Set Up In MLA

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:28 pm

GlobeGround/Servisair, the giant ground handling operation partly owned by Lufthansa, will set up base in Malta very soon. According to an advert placed in the papers today, they are looking for Check-in Supervisors and staff, ramp supervisors and staff, load control and despatching staff and loaders/driver.

This will undoubtedly be a thorn in AirMalta's side, which has operated a monopoly at the airport for over 30 years.

Emirates Skies

RE: GlobeGround/Servisair To Set Up In MLA

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:39 pm

Things can only get better  Wink/being sarcastic
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

Ndebele

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:52 pm

GlobeGround/Servisair, the giant ground handling operation partly owned by Lufthansa,
Are they still partly owned by Lufthansa? I thought Lufthansa had sold its share?

UK_Dispatcher

Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:33 pm

Servisair Globeground are not partly owned by Lufthansa.

Servisair was purchased by the French company, Pennauille Polyservices in 1999, who later purchased Globeground. The two companies are now branded together and ran as one.

Didn't Swissport also set up handling at MLA recently??

DAL7001

Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:42 pm

Is'nt Worldwide Flight Services big there too? I heard they were a large GHA working around the world. Sorry to change the subject somewhat.
KATL

DABZF

Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:21 am

Do you know if they start also cargo operations?
Probably not!?

...and yes, Lufthansa does not own anything in GG-SA.
LH sold 66% of GG to Pennauille Polyservices in 2001 and the rest in 2002.
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

lmml 14/32

Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:24 am

I was not aware that LH had sold all its shares in GlobeGround. Thanks for the info.

Re-DAL7001's comment, the GHA you are referring to is WorldWide Airlines Representatives Limited (WARL). Yes, this is the largest airline handling agent at Malta International Airport, but it has always been simply an Airline Representative agency, sourcing out the actual handling to AirMalta, the ONLY real GHA at MLA. Until Malta joined the EU. Now there will be competition. WARL is the driving force behind the present Servisair/Globeground initiative.

Swissport had the intention of commencing operations last year, but when the company changed ownership, the new owners (British I beleive) thought otherwise and plans were scrapped. It was only a matter of days before Servisair/GlobeGround stepped in and announced that they have serious plans to uindertake the venture.

Emirates Skies

Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:01 am

It would be nice if LH kept a second destination from MLA for the winter saeson, say STR or MUC, apart from FRA. Same thing if SAS and OS kept some of their operations into MLA during the low season.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints