flashmeister

F9: Smaller Than Expected Loss, 737s Gone 4/05

Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:15 am

Well, I stand very much corrected. Frontier did much better than I predicted on another thread... and they beat the Wall Street analysts' expectations. They posted a net loss of $.06/share or ~$2 million. Their operating loss was about $600,000. Details at http://www.frontierairlines.com/news/articleDisplay.asp?article=/general/2004/pr_10282004.news.

Of note: they announced that the 737 fleet is history about 4 months early, on 4/11/05.

Quick stats:

Load Factor: Mainline-72.9%, jetExpress-74.5%, Overall-73.1%
Breakeven load factor for mainline: 73.4% (didn't break out jetExpress)

CASM (with Fuel): Mainline 8.03cents, jetEx-12.35cents, Overall-8.35cents
Yield per ASM: Mainline 7.84cents, jetEx-11.48cents, Overall-8.11cents

Mainline CASM excluding fuel: 6.16cents

Other notes: Mainline avg stage length is up about 12% or so. Avg mainline seats/departure off a bit. Mainline utilization up about 12%, just like they said it would be. 1.98 million passengers carried systemwide last quarter, up about 23% or so. 233,000 pax on jetExpress, or about 11% of passengers. (Doing this math in my head, pardon my miscalculations.  Big grin )

Overall, not a bad quarter for Frontier at all. Much, much better than I expected. Now, I want to hear how they've hedged for fuel going forward. Anyone know for sure? And, what routes get the ax when the 737s leave early?

[Edited 2004-10-29 04:17:04]

mariner

RE: F9: Smaller Than Expected Loss, 737s Gone 4/05

Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:32 am

Flashmeister:

The fuel hedge is both extremely simple and extremely sophisticated, all at the same time.

To put it in its simplest terms, Frontier took out a hedge for 25% of total fuel needs for (from memory) six months. It may have been nine months.

The average price was about $35 a barrel, but there is a price band. It is profitable (to Frontier) at over $38 per barrel and a loss maker if oil falls below (about) $32 a barrel.

It was taken out shortly after Frontier retained Solarc to manage their fuel. The drop in the price of oil (from about $40 to about $35) was unexpected and didn't last long. Since Frontier jumped in at that point, I have to assume it was Solarc's doing.

As to the quarter, even as a loyal Frontier supporter, I was very surprised at how small the loss was. Like the Wall Street analysts, I was expecting a bigger loss.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos

GZIP: Off