Lufthansa
Topic Author

American LCC, Ugly Liveries

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:04 pm

FIRST LET MEA Middle East Airlines (Lebanon)">ME STATE, THIS IS IN NO WAY AN ANTI-AMERICAN post.

So all you americans that instinctively have a knee-jerk defensive reaction, take a chill pill before reading any further. Try and be objective here.

What I wish to discuss is why are all the American LCC have such uninspiring and basically ugly liveries. The only one i like at all is Jetblue, and even that is really a tad on the conservative side. Basically it reminds me of BA.

Compare say, Airtran's latest attempt with say Jetstar or Easyjet and you can see what I am talking about. Southwest's is probably just as bad. I think Airtran's latest look seems like a hangover from about 1971. Just because a it is a low cost carrier is no excuse not to put some creative effort into things. surely they can afford a few decent graphic designers? (i'd find it very hard to believe that a graphic designer produced the current products).

The only ones in the USA that i can think of that appears to have put any effort into this is Song and perhaps spirit. So what the hell is with the rest of them? Ryanair may be a bit on the boring side, but for the most part, most EU, Asian and South Pacific LCC have put a lot more effort into their marketing. Freedomair's distictive Sun, or Air Asia, Germanwings and easyjet all seem to have made more effort. Now that i think of it, that extends to things like uniform design too.

So what's up with these American LCC? Where's the creativity in these companies? And please...no "family environment" excuses. Just because somebody has offspring doesn't mean they don't appreciate a bit of effort being made to win their business.

cheetajet

RE: American LCC, Ugly Liveries

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:09 pm

I wish airlines would return the classic cheatlines and proud logo's. I think nwa's livery is cheap looking, but their 707's early on looked great!!
I push a beverage cart, so don't go break'n my heart!!

WesternA318

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:35 pm

My sentiments exactly, cheetah!
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

kalakaua

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:47 pm

If you're going to pick on LCC liveries, why not mention all of them?
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

spacecadet

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:55 pm

So what's up with these American LCC? Where's the creativity in these companies?

Let's compare:

Euro/Asian LCC's mentioned:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nik Deblauwe
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gustavo Bertrán - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

View Large View Medium

Photo © G.P.K.S.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jonathan Rankin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Colin Hunter
View Large View Medium

Photo © Patrick Hill

Ok, so it's obvious that you like liveries with ".com" in the name, and you like big corporate names splattered on the sides of white jets (or nasty yellow jets).

Some American LCC's mentioned:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Valentine
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

View Large View Medium

Photo © James F. Mullen
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kopczak

Southwest I'll grant you is pretty horrible. But the others? Heck, all they're missing is a ".com"!

Personally, I don't see a large creativity gulf. I quite like some of the American LCC's liveries, especially JetBlue and Song (some people think their planes look like giant sperm, but I like em). Spirit's a love-it-or-hate-it thing, but I personally like it a lot.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

MEA-707

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:57 pm

I don't see the problem. OK AirTran recent change hasn't been an improvement but I rank Frontier, Southwest, Spirit, ATA to the more stylish and colorful colorschemes around, compared to which for instance easyJet, Virgin Express and Virgin Blue are cheap looking.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

atmx2000

Re:

Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:29 pm

I would have to say that I find most of the non-American livery examples quite atrocious and cheesy.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

mdsh00

Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:35 pm

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I find EasyJet one of the most uninspiring livery's ever. Ryanair looks much better than that.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

NIKV69

Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:00 pm

Here ya go.. My outlook on the following liveries.

EasyJet - AWESOME
WN - UGLY! (Except for their special liveries like Shamu)
B6 - Decent
AirTran - UGLY
Spirit - Pretty Cool
Song - AWESOME
TED - Ehhhh, ok.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

DeltaWings

Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:16 pm

What do you all have against Southwests new blue colors? I think their livery is cool. Now their old brown wasnt that great, but the blue is nice.
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

HlywdCatft

Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:24 pm

Lufthansa, I agree with you for the most part, but what about Lufthansa's livery with the typical Eurowhite fuselage? They were good years ago when they had the blue cheat line, but now just the white fuselage.

I haven't really caught on to Southwest's blue livery yet. I liked the yellow and orange, the blue looks out of place. I however like Southwest's theme planes too- Shamu, states etc and they should introduce some more states and maybe NHL and NFL teams since they sponsor them.

Jet Blue I like their creativity of having varying tails.

Song is just plane UGLY. It would have been interesting to see them go with their orrginal plan of having four different liveries- I think green, orange, blue and purple or something.

Spirit- They're colors are kind of cool, especially if they go to that silver which is seen on the A321.

Ted's colors are hideous, although I will admit to liking the new United

I think the BEST LCC liveries by far go to Frontier. The animal tails rule, it sure beats any boring old corporate livery.

NIKV69

Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:26 pm

Yes Frontier is AWESOME, being a lover of wildlife I love their tails. Song is awesome IMO, when you see them coming into JFK here they look so cool in the air. WN new blue is better than the brown but still pretty blah IMO.

TWFirst

Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:33 pm

I usually refrain from commenting on liveries here because for the most part, these threads are such a subjective exercise, however:

Frontier: Excellent
Spirit: Original
jetBlue: Fine
America West: Nice
ATA: Bold and distinctive
Indy: Fun

Southwest: Puke
AirTran: Ick
Song: Lime green is so 2003
Ted: Yawn
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

miamix707

Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:50 am

by looking at your flag you seem to be Australian. So let's start with Jetstar first. Very plain, the "Jet" name is in the worst place possible, etc. Not any better than any American LCCs.

Jetblue is uninspiring, boring and Ted is in the same league. Yet still look more classy than something like "easyjet", basically a flying eurowhite with an orange billboard and a painted tail. Doesn't get any uglier.

There are also Snowflake, Hapag-Lloyd Express and many others that don't come to mind right now. Any of you could have designed these and they'd look better. Even if the above companies hired a top notch design house.. I think they wasted their money.

I still think this is a biased, lame attempt to say Americans somehow have no taste, as if that was so important. But anyways why not also look at Westjet, CanJet, Skyservice just north of the border?

I mean.. honestly if my user name was Lufthansa I woudln't make any comments on how cheap the liveries on the other side are. I would like to know who LH payed so much money to just eliminate the cheatline and make those planes all white like that, didn't even make the titles bigger. That's just straight up tasteless. If they did pay someone they got ripped off miserably  Laugh out loud

ual747den

Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:53 am

You're crazy, what is so good about easy jet? What is so good about B6? You didn't mention F9 and of course they have the BEST LCC livery.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eric Fortin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jay Selman

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eric Daniel Smith

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeff Miller

Doesnt get much better than that!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

jetjeanes

Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:03 am

granted southwest a/c does look a lot better in the new livery,than that putred pumpkin color... just what would you call that color southwest had, its not orange...was their ever a name for it..lol
i can see for 80 miles

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:09 am

Wasn't the name of that bizarre orange SWA have "Canyon Gold" ? Something pretentious like that anyway.

I think some US LCC's have great colourschemes. Frontier for one - really lovely. Spirit for another (the blue especially, not wild about the silver/grey).
Jetblue is cute but the tails are all very samey really, and the rest is just boring eurowhite with a small title. Airtran on the other hand - HIDJUS !! It was pretty awful before, but now its just BAADDD !

European LCC's are not that great - Easyjet is just, well - Easyjet really, not very nice, but quite visible. Ryanair is the same, but at least they have a semi-original logo (don't tell Guiness !). I like the Sterling multicoloured liveries, I also like the Wizz livery (it's a bit hysterical, all that magenta, but its not bad).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

N766UA

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:58 am

I maintain WN has one of the most recognizable liveries in the US. You see terminals packed with boring white and grey airplanes and then the beautiful blue of WN taxies in and livens it up. Looks great in the sunlight, too!
This Website Censors Me

Lufthansa
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:24 am

Okay some of you totally missed the point.

I didn't think of Frontier so, I'll give you guys that. They have gone to a lot of effort and credit where credit is due.

Southwest and Airtran were the two i was particularly thinking of. They (unfortunately) Dawf something like Frontier.

About 30% of each easyjet would be bright orange, not white, so i think they've done a good job of differentiating themselves for no money. I doubt that one was professionally designed, but the overall theme of bright orange continues to catch attention and makes things look fresh and efficient. Remember but this against the backdrop of Grey skys in London or Berlin.

Jetstar does look better than most if not all american LCCs. Miamix707, take a chill pill, we're not all out to get Americans country to what some of you may think... infact, some of us are your Allies. I assure you this is NOT the point of the exercise. Full service where left out because there are plenty of good ones and it would have distracted from the point in question.

My critisim is mostly Directed at Southwest and Airtran. For the same money i could see something with just so much more appeal about it, and they've got bugger all. Also now u mention it, i think westjet also fits in that group.

When USairways did the Metrojet thing, that had some appeal. Sure it was a conservative style compared to say jetstar, but, it looked modern and had class appeal and style. So credit where it is due... Song, Frontier and Spirit get brownie points for trying, but the bigger southwest and Airtran score badly.

It

jetbluefan1

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:32 am

Actually, I think that the LCC liveries in Europe are - by far - the ugliest liveries out there! I think that the fact that the majority of them put ".com" in large letters is tacky and really gives a carrier the image of being extremely low cost and even low class.

However, when you look at American LCC's, I think they all have class and are original.

Southwest - the old livery was better, IMO. new one has too much blue

Frontier - love the animals

JetBlue - love the different tales for each year and the blue bottoms, gives it a chic look, a bit old-age though

Spirit - AWESOME! very chic and modern (the new one, that is)

AirTran - the old livery was much better. new one is ugly

Independence - very chic and laid back

Song - simple yet classy, modern

Ted - good - relates to parent airline while not having too many colors

This isn't to say that American legacies don't have nice designs. I love the new(er) DL livery, but US has always been my favorite. However, I'm not all crazy about UA's new design, and I don't see anything special about AA's.

JetBluefan1

Byrdluvs747

Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:05 am

I don't see what the big deal is with F9's livery. It's nothing more than a white plane with some wild beast on the tail. Nothing that any high school art student couldn't design.

What do you all have against Southwests new blue colors?

There's too much blue. Everytime I see one their crappy planes I think of...

The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Alias1024

Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:13 am

Ok, I'm going to play teacher and grade American LCC liveries. Just like in school, grades range from A+ to F. Here they are in no particular order:

Frontier:A+ Great job of marketing, great photography, and everytime you go to the airport, you just have to see which animal is in town today.

JetBlue:B+ I like the different tails. It's always fun to see which one is at the gate. However, the fuselage, while professional, is a little too boring to get an A.

AirTran:F This is the worst livery on Earth. The red looks totally out of place, as do the blue engines. This livery was probably the result of heavy drinking.

Southwest:B You certainly won't miss them. I don't find it ugly, but it isn't beautiful. I will always have a special place in my heart for the soiled diaper colors of the past.

Ted:C The tail is nice, but they put no effort into the rest of the aircraft.

Song:D This is almost as boring as eurowhite. The light green and white blend into eachother and nothing stands out. Seeing the lineup of green tails at MCO always puts me to sleep. Redeeming quality: Better than AirTran.

Spirit:A Both the white and silver are original, and the silver looks great on the A321. Maybe they can keep both, with airbuses in silver and remaining MDs in white.

Indy:A I like the tail, and they get credit for trying something different with the windows.

ATA:A+ Very classy and stylish. Looks stunning on the 738.

(Edited because I forgot ATA)

[Edited 2004-10-29 23:16:24]
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

iowaman

Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:18 am

WN's new liverly is great, much better than the mustard puke.

RCS763AV

Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:32 am

How can the Song, Spirit and Frontier liveries be bad?

727200er

Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:14 am

Wow I must belong to a minority group. I like the new AirTran livery, except for the damn blue engines that is, but I liked the old one too.

WN the blue is kind of uninspired but far from ugly.

Frontier is cool

Song BUZZZZZZZ wrong answer.

Spirit is excellent

JetBlue is uninsprired but I do like the tails

WestJet could use a cheatline or something

Jetsgo BUZZZZZZZZ wrong answer

CanJet wake me when it's over

OK that's enough opinions for one post
"they who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only at night" - Edgar Allen Poe

Celticmanx

Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:19 am

WN is good just for one thing:

To maintain visual contact with the traffic.

Manx

Byrdluvs747

Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:46 am

America West: A- Good use of a southwest theme(unlike Southwest). The zig-zag(Hopi, I believe) lines from the rear of the plane are very original. The only problem is the use of the orange in such a big font.

ATA: A+ Very good color combination. Nothing is offensive. This is a livery any legacy airline could be proud of.

AirTran: F (B+) I gave two grades. One for the original livery which was great, the other for their new horrible paint job. The people at FL who designed and approved the new livery lack any taste.

Frontier: C+ A white fuselage with an animal on the tail. Nothing my 11 year cousin couldn't have come up with. Very lacking in the originality department.

Indy: B+ Great tail! The design integrates the tail and fuselage in the same tradition as HA, QF. I'm not quite sold on the dots around the windows, espcialy on the 319. The windows are closer together than on the CRJ's.

JetBlue: C- Again just a white fuselage with a blue tail. Absolutely nothing special about their livery. Who cares if they change the paint on the tail. Points taken for the dot-com crap on their cowlings.

Song: A- Good design. The design on the fuselage keeps it from being a boring white tube like so many of the others. The only thing that holds it back is that the tail is almost all green.

Southwest: F Both of their liveries are disgusting. Too much brown or too much blue. Not to mention combining either color with orange.

Spirit: B Interesting colors. They definitely stand out from other airlines. Maybe too much silver.

Ted: C- It's ok at best. Nothing to get excited about. Seems like UA didnt have enough money to come up with a more complicated livery.

elwood64151

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:04 am

I think it's a measure of style. In the US, we have a more conservative styling and like that in our companies. With some notable exceptions, we like our buisnesses to have a stable-looking image. If those "notable exceptions" were as common here as they are in Europe, they wouldn't be exceptions.

But even some of our "stodgy" looking aircraft are rather attractive. Look at

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex Linke
View Large View Medium

Photo © Leon van Leeuwen

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Philippe Bleus

And, of course, there's

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Hough
View Large View Medium

Photo © Torben Guse

So it's not all just conservative...
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

mariner

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:34 am

Birdluvs747:

Frontier: "Very lacking in the originality department."

Since no other airline in the world has the themed animal photos, I'd say it is extremely original.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

csavel

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:45 am

With the exception of Germanwings, I frankly think the European LCCs leave lots to be desired. but the Yellow tail gets to me all the time.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eugene Magrilov

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kai-jens Meyer

I think the new Spirit livery is gorgeous, Indy Air is nice, and jetBlue is too.

Don't much care for Song, and I loathe Southwest, but Southwest's livery is sort of like the old Volkswagen Beetle, its very anti-chicness is chic.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

stealthpilot

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:50 am

opinions opinions opinions.....
easyjet is ....... well it serves tits purpose but its plain!!!!!! white with 'easyjet' painted across in orange hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm really imaginative.
i loveeeeee spirits........ and i like jetblues. but ya WN's needs improvement in my book.
on the whole i think most liveries are kinda boring barring a few (i think VS is the best hehehehhehe)
eP007

NIKV69

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:53 am

Frontier is pretty much the best LCC livery. I like EasyJet because it's simple and original. WN is horrible. If their whole fleet was the special liveries like Shamu they would be cool. Spirt is good, AirTran is God Christingly AWFUL! TED is no good. B6 is cool but nothing to right home about. America West and ATA are pretty good.

Propulsion

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:24 am

I think SouthWest have a wonderful livery. At least they seem to have created a pleasant scheme that actually complements the 737 shape and features.

Song, JetBlue, Frontier and JetStar have very nice schemes, despite their simplicity. easyJet is ok, but I dislike the clumsy looking font type they use. Spirit is not too bad but rather cheap looking.

AirTran is simply disgusting, while German Wings have ruined what could have been a delightful livery.
A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.

FriendlySkies

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:49 am

Some of you may not be happy to see Ted, but Ted is happy to see you! Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aaron Mandolesi - Mile High Images
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeff Miller

miamix707

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:54 am

Well Lufthansa, I did take the chill pill, but since I'm a photographer it bugs me to hear someone praising a livery that we hate to photograph and if we do, that means slow day, in which case I just go home. I for example won't waste my film trying to get all the Jetblue tails. Frontier is a little better with the metallic titles and a picture of a different animal, but it's still a white plane with only painted engines and tail. Is not that I personally care if everybody else said Southwest looks like crap, it adds much needed color nowadays and for many photographers, not just myself, it's a joy to see. To me there is nothing prettier than a red aircraft flying overhead with an orange tail glowing in the afternoon Florida sun.

I wouldn't want these companies to get the wrong idea, a white plane or mostly white eg: EasyJet, JetBlue, or yes even Frontier (you all's favorite) to me just don't look right, and many people hate the look just as much as I do. I don't care, even if I have to say it 1000 times in a forum nobody reads.

Still, I'm glad we have Southwest instead of something like Jetstar or Easyjet. That would be too boring for me, not to mention ugly..

Byrdluvs747

Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:24 pm

Birdluvs747:

Frontier: "Very lacking in the originality department."

Since no other airline in the world has the themed animal photos, I'd say it is extremely original.

Hey, that's B-y-r-d-luvs747. Big grin

Anyway, ok, I'll give you the originality issue since I don't know if any other airline has animals on their tails.

However, it does lack any real creative depth. Simply paint a plane white and slap an animal on the tail. That takes about five minute to design?

The only US LCC's who seemed to put more than five minutes worth of effort into their liveries are...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim Perkins
View Large View Medium

Photo © Viktor László - Budapest Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rafal Szczypek
View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Valentine

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kopczak

Lufthansa
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:15 pm

Okay folks

I think Elwood64151 hit the nail on the head. His theory fits in perfectly with my own experiences of business in America, and of course, with my earlier comments about the Metrojet.

So, to organise a quick tally, it appears the general consesus is:

Frontier takes the number one place, with Spirit getting wide approval.

Song and Jetblue just get across the line into the positive camp.

The majority feels there is a lot of room for Improvement at SWA.

Just about everybody thinks Airtran Stinks.

Conclusion this far: Elwood64151 observation about a cultural difference is most likely the driving force. I think one thing about America is it really it is far more receptive environment to business success than most other western nations. Those of us who reside in the others really have to work so much harder to achieve success, (and that success won't be as great mind you, with much higher imput costs, high taxes etc) which has ment that far more aggressive and bold stratergies are needed in order to succeed. (also to break through the grip the 'old boys' have on companies in these countries) This, then is obviously reflected in the corporate cultures and presentation of these companies. The best example of this, is probably Virgin Atlantic.

My personal opinion? Somebody at Airtran with just the slightest bit of creativity needs to be hired, and fast. The really interesting thing is the effect on the consumer. I doubt if you placed Airtrans marketing ut there in the other countries, it would succeed. However, it absolutely flourishes in Atlanta. Maybe it is lack of choice (often just say, delta vs Airtran). I would expect it not to last with that stratergy elsewhere though...just as I expect a certain ghastly pink swiss airline to go by the wayside (its so gross I'm not even going to mention the company's name). So lets hope and prey somebody at Altanta is reading this!

westindian425

Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:29 pm

While I agree with the general consensus so far, I think there's one LCC that has been left out (it's usually forgotten anyway)to "critique": Alaska Airlines.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Shaun Edelstein
View Large View Medium

Photo © Yo Tanaka

Only 2 colors, but not a bad scheme.

Neil
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

mariner

Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:38 pm

Byrdluvs747:

(Did I get the name right?)

Of the photos you chose, I would say the only difference between America West and Frontier is that HP has a dark underbelly and a tail with a curious logo.

Now the old HP livery - that had some class. But I accept that some people prefer neon colors.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

miamix707

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:10 pm

When USairways did the Metrojet thing, that had some appeal. Sure it was a conservative style compared to say jetstar, but, it looked modern and had class appeal and style. So credit where it is due... Song, Frontier and Spirit get brownie points for trying, but the bigger southwest and Airtran score badly

says who? some aviation geek from down under?

Did someone say Metrojet?  Laugh out loud If they had so much class and style how come nobody thought so? Maybe is that why they din't last long? I didn't even take a single picture that's how bad I thought those c/s were. None of the local aviation enthusiasts found that livery attractive, unless they were foreign and visting maybe. That thing looked like some sort of mismatched hybrid. For sure a livery that won't be missed! That's the American equivalent of the European Easyjet and Australian Jetstar as far as bad baste in design goes.

Consensus is, if we are citing Elwood's example, the American perception can vary and yet be similar to anywhere else. For the USA market a colorful, eye catching strong brand like Southwest works perfectly. Jetblue on the other hand, while their almost eurowhite livery is nothing to rave about it is consistent with their product. Cheap fares, and a serious, perphaps more business-like attitude than other LCCs but nothing special, and that works for them.

Me personally, the only people that I've met who didn't like Southwest who actually seen their planes close up and in the tropical sun we have down here, was because the colors were too strong and "manly" for their taste. They'd prefer to see something more "cute" and with softer colors  Smile

Byrdluvs747

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:18 pm

I think there's one LCC that has been left out (it's usually forgotten anyway)to "critique": Alaska Airlines.

AS is no LCC.

that HP has a dark underbelly and a tail with a curious logo.

Yes, but the dark underbelly breaks up what would otherwise be an all-white
monotonous livery. Also the zigzag lines towards the rear of plane help blend the tail and the fuselage.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Yo Tanaka

Now the old HP livery - that had some class. But I accept that some people prefer neon colors.

I actually prefer the professionalism of old colors. Unfortunately, it will probably be another five or more years before HP decides on a new paint scheme.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erik Johannesson

While I like the new livery, I think the "America West" logo using the billboard font has to go.

spacecadet

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:35 pm

I think one thing about America is it really it is far more receptive environment to business success than most other western nations. Those of us who reside in the others really have to work so much harder to achieve success,

Wait, what?? Did I read that right? You're not going to win many points by saying non-US liveries are bolder because non-Americans work harder. I think you might want to look up the statistics on worker productivity and number of hours worked per worker per year in other countries worldwide vs. the US, and then tell me who has to work harder for success.

There is way, way more competition in all businesses, and even within businesses, in the US than probably anywhere else. There are more airlines here than in Europe (or Australia), there are more designers vying for jobs at these airlines, and there are more designers on the airlines' staff competing for these projects. This "theory" of yours doesn't make any sense.

I don't see any "boldness" in the European and Asian designs shown here. Let's look at Easyjet again, since, to me, it's very easy to beat up on. This is a livery that Europeans seem to like and Americans seem not to. To me, it has nothing to do with boldness - an orange tail and a white plane is not bold, it's just ugly and simplistic. Why not just paint their tails hot pink or neon green or something? There are some colors that don't belong on a corporate design, and this particular shade is one of them.

The design itself is something a five year old could have come up with. The best designs are simple, yes, but there's a difference between "simple" and "simplistic", as I said this livery was earlier.

Simple:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

Simplistic:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nik Deblauwe

The typeface, the logo, the design elements on the tail, the tasteful colors of the JetBlue livery set it apart. JetBlue's livery was obviously designed by a designer; I'm not so sure about Easy's. (Let's not forget there are four distinct JetBlue designs as well, each consistent with the corporate color scheme. I've only showed one.)

btw, I am not a fan of Frontier's livery, as some others here apparently are. To me, it looks like the kind of livery someone who's just discovered Photoshop would come up with (including the tails). It's not really even a livery; it's just a photo stuck on a tail and the corporate name with a gradient applied.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

miamix707

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:41 pm

and just to add, if you don't want to name the airline I will. Helvetic with those pink F-100s are not the most conventional thing perhaps. But hey you gotta give credit to an airline who paints their planes pink and doesn't go with the anemic, sick white fuselage with a painted tail (that makes the planes look like buses anyways). Look give me the pink, i'll take it. I'm just not a fan of tacky .com names on aircraft. If I worked at helvetic i'd suggest an actual logo and get rid of those .com titles or put them on the engine, much smaller.

As far as Air Tran they sort of messed up especially with those tacky light blue engines and the green curving upwards to the tail.. Still it's colorful and the livery it replaces wasn't exactly impressive. What urgently needed to be changed was the font of that "a" on the tail which looks stupid. Still, most people agree it's better than an all white or aluminum can imitation.

Lufthansa
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:56 pm

Spacecadet

You've misinterepted it. Im not saying americans dont work as hard, im saying they've got a much better business environment. Im saying the old outdated attitudes in other countries, which in my opinion, are in good need of a shakeup (you can only succeed if your father was upper crest type attitudes) have ment that one has really had to go out on a limb to make it in these places. Nobody is saying americans aren't productive. just thought id clarify that.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Spacecadet,

...an orange tail and a white plane is not bold, it's just ugly and simplistic.

You're being hypocritical. B6 and EasyJet share the same basic formula for their livery. White plane with a colored tail and cowlings. The difference being between orange, blue, and a stupid dotcom logo. B6's livery is not bold, creative, innovative, or even interesting to look at.

So they have different tail patterns. The rest of the plane is all white with nothing to really look at.

JetBlue's livery was obviously designed by a designer

Cmon! A designer? Give me a break. Any grade school art student can come up with that livery. B6's paint took no imagination or creativity at all.

btw, I am not a fan of Frontier's livery, as some others here apparently are. To me, it looks like the kind of livery someone who's just discovered Photoshop would come up with (including the tails). It's not really even a livery; it's just a photo stuck on a tail and the corporate name with a gradient applied.

I agree with you 100%.

acidradio
Crew

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:18 pm

Is it me or do these strike anybody else as similar?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Borda
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paulo carvalho

Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

TW741

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:26 pm

from passengers view the aircraft could be completely white or black since off-gate boarding with walk-up to the plane (and seeing the plane in full size from outside) is rather uncommon nowadays....

From the aviation enthusiast point of view it is a little different.
Indy-Air reminds a little of SN.
I prefer classic paint schemes like Air Berlin or AirTran over the ".com" paint schemes....

=TW741=
TWA - we showed you how good we have been!

qr332

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:55 pm

Are you kidding? I think the USA's LCCs have some of the best liveries you can get! Spirit is one of the best liveries I have ever seen, Frontier's originality is amazing, and I love the new colours of WN. Europe's LCCs don't look bad either, but I prefer the US carriers' colours.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Futterman

This kicks Easyjet's ass any day.

[Edited 2004-10-30 10:57:00]
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

tripple7

Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:00 pm

Well I agree with most of you that the LCC liveries are in general not very inspirational. My favorite 2 LCC liveries are both from Europe. However, the first one is defunct.

V-Bird

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ron Kellenaers

View Large View Medium

Photo © Janne Laukkonen / FAP - Finnish Aviation Photography

Sky: Europe

View Large View Medium

Photo © A J Best

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Unsworth

In the US I really like the Frontier tails, however the fuselage is quite boring. IMO Spirit has the best livery of the LCC.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos