Horizon Starts Santa Brabara Service

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:21 am

Horizon Air will start 2 flights a day from Santa Brabara on Sunday. One of the flights will operate to Portland via Seattle, the other will operate to Seattle via Portland. Both flights will use the Canadair RJ700.

Great News! Smile

RE: Horizon Starts Santa Brabara Service

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:36 am

Santa Brabara!!! Welcome to Victoria's Secret Land!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:40 am

I've always thought of Santa Barbara's Airport to be quite a fun little airport right on the California coast in quite a beautiful, quaint setting. The addition of new service from the Pacific Northwest (another great part of the West Coast) sounds promising, and I wish Horizon all the best luck with their services, of course.

I've been fortunate to fly into and out of SBA on a few occasions; once from DEN on United Express (BAE-146) and to LAX on a 737 United Shuttle flight. I've also been able to fly into and out of the airport in a Cessna 172 from EMT as well. SBA is a perfect little airport with a great-looking passenger terminal where general aviation and commercial operations mix quite well, and it is a special treat to fly in on a Cessna and watch the modest action from airside. Impressive as well is the fact that, though a small airport, it has received some quite heavy-duty traffic in the past in the form of 747's and DC-10's!

I always enjoy hearing about new service to one of my most favorite Southern California airports!  Smile

Thanks for sharing the news, and for putting up with my SBA praise.

[Edited 2004-10-29 20:42:38]
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:00 am

Where have you been? Horizon has been serving Santa Barbara for almost a year. or am I missing something?

"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:47 am

When did Horizon start Santa Barbara? This is news to me too.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:12 am

Horizon put out a PR about Santa Barbara last week, even though they have offered service since April 2003. The PR says the 2 flights flights will now operate SBA-SEA-PDX and SBA-PDX-SEA, allowing for a PDX nonstop.

But didn't SBA open last year with 2 SBA-SEA flights and 1 SBA-PDX? It looks like somewhere the PDX flight got dropped. Now instead of returning to 3 flights a day, a SEA flight is being rerouted to PDX. That still leaves SBA with only 2 flights instead of the 3 it started with.

Or am I missing something?

Here is the SBA opening schedule from last year.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain