aeroman62

IAH Takeoff Lines/Terminal Distances

Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:02 am

Maybe I'm too fussy, however in the past year, I have sat in 15+ long lines of mainly CO planes lining up to take off from IAH's two SE/NE runways, on days when the weather is pristine. This after opening a new E/W runway on the north side of the airport, and repaving another. I get the whole wind thing, etc., however has it occurred to the planners at CO that their connection banks are overwhelming the IAH system. I feel sorry for the lone AA or US flight that gets caught in those lines.

And for the poor connecting passengers who offload a COEX flight in one of terminal B's western banjos, and have to dash with 30 minutes to their flight in the eastern concourse of terminal E, that's a pain and heart pounding dash. It is starting to remind me of Atlanta, which I go out of my way to avoid connecting through.

I love CO, I'm just starting to wonder about the efficiency and ease of IAH.

IAH777

RE: IAH Takeoff Lines/Terminal Distances

Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:12 am

They're still working on it. BTW, Terminal B's banjos are the next project for the Houston Airport System to tackle. Within the next couple of years, they will be gone and replaced with the more-traditional wings. Did you try the trains? There are two (one subway-style going from A to E, the other elevated, going from B to E) you might consider on your next layover.

aeroman62

Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:41 am

The trains don't do you much good when you arrive at one end of the behemouth, and have to get to the other in less than 30 minutes. I'm glad to hear they have plans to remodel.

Vortex

Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:54 am

I guess you've never taken off from LGA during rush hour. 15+ planes isn't bad

FrequentFlyKid

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:00 am

I don't understand your problem with ATL. It's so simple. I've connected through there 100 times on DL and have never had a problem connecting in time because of the design of the airport. I think that sometimes it's so easy its dumbfounds people.

william

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:09 am

The elevated system is open to E now? And I could never find the subway as many times as I connected through IAH. I never left the secured side,that could be the reason why.

I actually like the runway layout of IAH. The two departing runways separates outgoing and incoming aircraft very well. No crossing of active runways necessary. Even landing on the northen most runway is comparable to DFW's 15 minute taxi times.

The fact that IAH also uses two close parallel runways for departures (just DFW do on the west side) makes me wander why ATL's ATC do not do the same during the times incoming flights are low.

10mid

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:50 am

You know what? We're sitting on the flight deck on a clear day and wonder ourselves what's going on. But the delays at IAH are nothing compared tp EWR.

The underground terminal train sucks because you have to go outside of security.

Try connecting from a COEX Mexico arrival to a CO flight at the end of Terminal E. That mad dash is the sole reason why I work out.