IceMan

Anyone Ever Had A Close Call?

Thu Mar 09, 2000 4:32 am

Just wondering if there are any fellow pilots out there who want to share their stories with the rest of us.
I myself once had a very close one. I was flying VFR
at 1500 feet straight and level , suddenly at my 10 came another aircraft at the same altitude about 15 meters away. I instinctively made a rather hard pull up
and the other aircraft passed under me with just a few meters to go. I did not see the registration on the aircraft but never the less I landed and filed an ATIR
right away.
Anyone else who had a close one???

RE: Anyone Ever Had A Close Call?

Thu Mar 09, 2000 4:51 am

I have had a couple of close calls, First was on one of my first flights some guy was not speaking to Socal. He flew at about 100 feet above us. The other week I had another close call but it was about 300-500 below us but that is still far to close as when ATC called him out to me he was underneath me!
But the best was haveing a FedEx MD-11 come close but not that close but as it was so big it seemed a lot closer!|Iain

RE: Anyone Ever Had A Close Call?

Thu Mar 09, 2000 6:58 am

Hi all,

Well, I was flying VFR with my instuctor in a Piper Cherokee PA-28. We had just left one of the training areas used by the local flight school . It was a small runway on a inhabited island in Conception Bay, Newfoundland.
We had just crossed over the eastern side of the island and were over water. I was climbing to 1500ft ASL to join the circuit into St. John's airport on an extended downwind. We were in communication with St. John's tower.
All of a sudden, a Cessna 172 floatplane flew right in front of us and was coming straight at us. He flew over us with about 150ft to spare. Needless to say, my instructor and I were s**tbaked. We contaced the tower and told them of the incident and they told us that the 172 was neither radar identified or in radio contact.
Since we were in a nose up position in a climb (about 500 ft/min), we could not see him. It was a perfectly clear summers day.
If he had been flying using proper VFR rules and was in radio and radar contact, a near collision could have been avoided.
My instructor and I were shaken up when we landed. We filed a report on the incident, but I never heard anything about it after. The careless use of common sense and lack of proper flying skills almost lead to a mid-air collision.
Fly carefully!!
Phil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos