planespotting

Commuting To Chicago Daily Via Eagle Or UX

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:37 am

In dubuque, there are supposedly a fair number of people who fly the ERJ 135/45 from DBQ-ORD every single day and use it as a commute. The ops people there say there are a fair number of passengers who show up quite regularly (multiple times per week). I was wondering if this happened much at other airports within an hours flight of ORD...like BMI, MLI, IND, MSN, CID, SPI, etc..etc..

anyone have any idea?

Do you like movies about gladiators?

SegmentKing

RE: Commuting To Chicago Daily Via Eagle Or UX

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:55 am

at Great Lakes, when we had a massive ORD operation, about 25% of all passengers were O/D to Chicago and about 15% were connecting to another Great Lakes flight. the rest wre online connections to UA.

SPI to ORD was about 60% O/D, hence why we also flew up to 8 daily flights to Meigs from SPI, and also in the early 90s LAN & TVC to Meigs.
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

tt737fo

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:14 am

Hey Segment King, I was at Great Mistakes up until 1997. I miss flying to places like CWA, OSH, RHI in the winter.

Ever know D_ N S_ _ _ _ _ N?

SegmentKing

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:46 am

Dan from ORD Ops/Ramp Supervisor?

I worked @ DEC until the shutdown, then went to CHI for college when Corporate heard I was in the area, tagged me for ORD work.

I keep in touch with Anne V and Kathy Hunter if you know any of the station people.

I miss boarding flights to "SUX" and seeing them on our papework "ORDSUX 5335" or something to that effect!

I don't miss that 625AM LAN turn with the Brasilia!

ORDZW

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:27 pm

I used to see a lot of familiar faces on the ORD-SBN flight. There was one gentleman I saw almost every day - I knew him by name. On good weather days, flying is a lot faster than driving. Of course, when the weather hits, you would probably be better of driving due to the slight(!) delays that occur in ORD!
9E, AA, AQ, AX, BA, CO, CP, DH, DL, EV, F9, FL, HA, HP, KL, NK, NW, OH, OO, QX, RP, RW, S5, TW, UA, US, WN, YV, ZK, ZW

Cubsrule

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:30 pm

It's worth noting that there is also some reverse commuting going on- especially on CGX/MDW/ORD-SPI. Our fine governor does it every day, although he does not fly commercial.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Tiger119

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:13 pm

I know there was at one time a group of people working for TZ who worked at MDW and lived in Indy, and they would fly on the Saab up in the morning and fly back at night (or when ever their shift ended). They have a boat load of those flights back and forth IND/MDW.

"..... On good weather days, flying is a lot faster than driving. Of course, when the weather hits, you would probably be better of driving due to the slight(!) delays that occur in ORD! "

- ORDZW, isn't there a commuter train that runs back and forth between SBN and downtown Chicago still? In bad weather I would rather take the train, less chance of being backed up by accidents on I80/I90. It used to run about every half hour in the morning and afternoons for the South Bend commuters. That to me would be a boring ride though!
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

ORDZW

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:21 pm

Tiger119 - You are correct, the South Shore Line goes from Downtown to South Bend about every half hour. However, from O'Hare, you would have to catch the Blue Line into Downtown to connect to it, which would take 45 minutes by itself. I know that when we had significant delays or cancellations, we usually gave our passengers the option to take the Coach USA/United Limo bus to South Bend. Some people became so tired of the airport that this was the best option for them!
9E, AA, AQ, AX, BA, CO, CP, DH, DL, EV, F9, FL, HA, HP, KL, NK, NW, OH, OO, QX, RP, RW, S5, TW, UA, US, WN, YV, ZK, ZW

SegmentKing

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:36 am

TT737,

In terms of crew members, I keep in touch with Josh W quite a bit & have seen Julie P around HP... I've wondered if Capt Branch & his wife are still together, it was wierd doing my first ORD OPs departure and seeing the crew listed as Branch/Branch

Were you there when one of my rampers put a Brasilia tail into the terminal at F3? We also had 297UX hit a Beech (191 keeps coming to mind) while trying to get into F2... remember how UA put up that huge concrete barrier and you'd taxi along it, then do a quick 270 @ the end? :P

-n

tt737fo

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:17 pm

Segment,

I left Lakes in '97 and as I recall, the Brasilias were yet to be delivered! One thing, that I look back and chuckle on is the fact that Voss said that RJs would never catch on!! Hah!

I had fond memories though. The training in Spencer Iowa--difficult, harrassing, but well worth it. Plaza Hotel--hah. Was in a 1900C that broke down in Ft Dodge Iowa. Stayed overnight with the First Officer and three other Lakers who rented a double-wide there for about $100.00 per month. Four of us crammed into a rusted out 280zx back to the airport the next morning in a snowstorm.

The ORD staff were a lot of fun--good crew, but most moved on and turned over quick.

I remember the accident at Quincy too. Knew the Capt (Kate).

Don't know how they can be profitable, but as long as there are EAS routes to be had out west...it takes three in a 1900 to break even. Still no RJs!

TWA902fly

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:00 pm

well my dad for one flew ORD-IAD-ORD every week for 5 years, out on mon/tuesday and back thursday/friday and he said he noticed many people who he saw multiple times on his flights.....

TWA902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

SegmentKing

Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:13 pm

TT737,

If my memory is correct, we got our first Brasilia from the old WestAir/Air Midwest UAX operation, 281UE keeps coming to mind, in 1996. I believe it flew mainly ORD/LAN/SPI turns until we were confident she could fly to FSD & FAR (which, in actuality she couldn't..).

I knew Kate as well, but not as well as most, I also knew a few of the UIN staff... very loyal employees. Kate did the DEC/MDH turns a couple times a month, although I think I saw more of Wysoki than anyone... he liked to run me over on the ramp.

I still remember the chaos at ORD with the mail & freight set-up at F1... I think our Beeches & Brasilias caused more FOD damage over there than the UA bag gorillas could ever imagine!

I'm surprised we weren't more successful at ORD. ALO, MKG, SPI, LAN were always boarding in the upper 70% LFs while cities like Sterling & Ottumwa would barely get 3 a day. I remember one guy who fell asleep in the corner at F3 and missed his flight to ESC... where we only had 2 flights a day. That was NOT a fun occurance!

Then ACA comes along, steals all of our good routes  Sad  Sad  Sad

maiznblu_757

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:44 pm

I dont ever remember any flights from TVC-Meigs.

SegmentKing

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:05 pm

They were strictly trial-runs that were later moved to the failed MDW operations for Great Lakes (prior to conversion to all United Express).

-n

iowaman

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:18 pm

I'm surprised we weren't more successful at ORD. ALO, MKG, SPI, LAN were always boarding in the upper 70% LFs while cities like Sterling & Ottumwa would barely get 3 a day.

Your loss at ALO, NW has just recently added a 2nd CRJ to MSP, with either DTW service soon or another CRJ to MSP coming.

7e72004

Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:14 am

There was airline commuter service to Meigs??? When, who, how many, etc.??  Big grin
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

SegmentKing

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:57 am

I think that ALO was one of the last markets that Great Lakes dropped out of ORD. The reason ZK pulled out of ORD was because of the suspected closure of Meigs by Daley. SPI/CGX would get $200 each way and fill the 1900s, making it THE MOST profitable route in the network. Lakes kept a bare-bones network out of ORD after United picked its routes apart, with the idea that maybe they could grow some more at ORD, but once Daley told Voss that CGX was gonna be cut up, they announced the termination of CGX services at ATA Connection announced service to MDW a couple days later (from SPI).