AAplatnumflier
Topic Author

Who Is The King? LAX Or SFO?

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:59 am

Which airport is better to go through if you are coming from out west, i.e. Asia, Austrailia, Hawaii and other places out West. Also which airport handles the most of those routes??

Thanks in AAdvance!!

Aaron747

RE: Who Is The King? LAX Or SFO?

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:05 am

If you're coming transpac from Asia, SFO is by far the better destination. The international terminal is brand new, the airport has superb transit connections to the city - and getting to the other terminals is easy thanks to the AirTrain system.

On the other hand, LAX has the lion's share of routes overall, especially from Australia.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jacobin777

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:13 am

Living in San Francisco, I'm naturally biased towards SFO.... Big grin

That being said, SFO is much smaller and as A.747 said, the international terminal is new, and it costs only $15 ($20 with tip) to take a shuttle van downtown (just took it yesterday..and actually take it all the time) from the airport

..since the airport is smaller, its quicker to get around towards other terminals and the AirTrain is very easy and convenient...also, the TSA agents and screeners are not that bad (believe it or not).....

"Up the Irons!"

jfrworld

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:25 pm

SFO all the way. SFO has pretty much all of the Asian/Trans Pacific Routes couvered through UA or the other Asian Airlines - Singapore Airlines, Asiana, Korean Airlines, JAL, ANA, Cathay Pacific.

The international terminal is brand new and very efficient. If you need to connect to a domestic flight, its actually quite easy to move from terminal to terminal. I would recommend SFO over LAX.

kc10fish

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:51 pm

if you like waiting for ATC go to SFO. LAX by far is the better with less delay's! good luck. Please note that winter is not to good for SFO flow.

roseflyer

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:58 pm

For Hawaii I would say LAX because domestic connections are easy if you stay with the same airline as the terminals are so separate. Also there are very few delays because weather is almost perfect in LA. It isn't that bad of an airport to fly out of because since the terminals are so spread out, you don't have to deal with huge messy crowds (unless you fly out with HP or WN  Smile).

For international, SFO is much much better. Connections are a lot easier and the international terminal is wonderful. Also dealing with TBIT at LAX is horrible, UA connections are better, but SFO is by far better, and is about 20-30 minutes flight time closer to just about anywhere in Asia. The only problem is persistent fog and low visibility which causes delay headaches which might cause you to see more and spend more time at the airport then you could ever want-I've done it.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

TonyBurr

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 pm

I admit I prefer SFO (and I am not from San Francisco). Great terminal and you seem to get through Immigration/Customs quickly. Having said that I have not often gone through LAX and did not have bad experiences. I just prefer SFO.

legacyins

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:22 pm

As stated above, it is faster to clear Immigration/Customs formalities at SFO as compared to LAX. I have been through LAX on International flights twice, at TBIT and terminal 4, and the wait was too long to bear. The weather delays at SFO are no worse than a Nor Easterner through the East Coast or a snow storm at ORD. International flights have priority landing and remain remarkably on schedule.

N1120A

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:56 pm

As far as the dominant airport goes, LAX has twice the passengers and is one of the world's busiest cargo airports. SFO has more of a "hub" set up, while LAX is the ultimate O&D airport. Also, I have seen the T4 customs lines and they are insane, AA just did not plan right for having 2 QF 747s in at the same time, but I have flown many times into Bradley and T2 with little delay.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

OzarkD9S

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:09 pm

LAX is the KING, SFO is the QUEEN!  Big thumbs up

Well, somebody had to say it.
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

jsnww81

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:44 am

For sheer volume of international flights, LAX definitely beats out San Francisco. LAX has several overseas carriers that SFO does not - Alitalia, Swiss, Aer Lingus, Air Tahiti Nui, Qantas, Air Pacific, Malaysia Airlines, Thai, China Eastern, China Southern, Varig, Avianca, LAN, Aero California and many more all serve Los Angeles.

SFO's fortunes have been on the upswing lately, though - Air New Zealand recently started service, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines restarted flights in the last two years and both Vietnam Airlines and Emirates are rumored to be favoring SFO over LAX for their first West Coast flights.

United has also scaled back much of its LAX-Asia flying since 9/11, and hasn't restarted many former routes. They've been steadily rebuilding their SFO-Asia operations though, and now serve (correct me if I'm wrong) Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei, with Nagoya coming soon.

COEWR2587

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:48 am

I would have to LAX IMO. It seems to serve almost every place or airline.
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

N1120A

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:18 am

>Alitalia, Swiss, Aer Lingus, Air Tahiti Nui, Qantas, Air Pacific, Malaysia Airlines, Thai, China Eastern, China Southern, Varig, Avianca, LAN, Aero California <

While AZ has stated they are thinking of comming back to LAX, they still have not. LAX and SFO lost AZ service at the same time. Also, Avianca has not served LAX for a while now
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

UALAX

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:21 am

>Alitalia, Swiss, Aer Lingus, Air Tahiti Nui, Qantas, Air Pacific, Malaysia Airlines, Thai, China Eastern, China Southern, Varig, Avianca, LAN, Aero California <

don't forget Air-India, soon to be daily.

aeronuts

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:18 pm

Back to original post, the question is travel from the Far East (not the West, unless you're from Hawaii), I would say LAX has more options from the Far East. SFO has neither Air Tahiti Nui, Malaysia Air, China Eastern nor China Southern.

If you're coming from China (including Hong Kong), Japan, Korea, Philippine, Thailand, then SFO is better, as the terminal is new and access to/from the airport is a bit better than LAX. Finally BART has connected to SFO. Last checked, LA Metro rail has yet a line into LAX.

I must respectfully disagree with kc10fish. Since the scale back by UAL and all the majors, the ATC approach and weather delay issue faced during the dot.bomb days are long gone. The delays in SFO these days are no worst then any other major hub airports. I believe in the latest survey, SFO has actually dropped off the top 5 worst list.

airxliban

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:05 pm

in terms of options, connections and the diversity of traffic LAX.

in terms of hassle and enjoying the airport, SFO.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

baw716

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:28 pm

Most of the routes arrive into LAX.

The preferred airport for arrivals, however is SFO. The new IT is not anywhere near the capacity it can handle, so immigration and customs formalities are pretty fast. With BART to the city, you can get pretty much anywhere in the Bay Area without having to use a cab out of the airport.

Air NZ now operates a AKL-SFO nonstop, UA still operates SYD-SFO nonstop.

Also, a reminder...if you are going to the US east coast, you can fly SYD-HNL, transit customs there and then go nonstop to the east coast (CO to EWR, DL to ATL). Since SYD-HNL is only about 10 hours, and HNL to US east coast is 7 to 8, the trip is broken up better than going to the west coast, then doing the 4.5 hour flight to the east coast (which feels like 10).
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

VSlover

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:43 am

plus you dont see a show on NBC called SFO now do you?

aeronuts

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:10 am

"plus you dont see a show on NBC called SFO now do you?"

Nor a show call DFW, IAD, ORD, JFK, etc...

UA744KSFO

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:32 am

SFO is much easier for inter-line connections because of the monorail system. Also, the new international terminal is great and has a lot of waiting room (it has two levels). SFO also has a better ground transporation system serving it.

LAX has more airlines serving it, and it isn't as prone to fog delays as SFO. Other than that, I just don't see many more advantages that LAX has over SFO.

FLY2LIM

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:09 am

I must respectfully disagree with kc10fish. Since the scale back by UAL and all the majors, the ATC approach and weather delay issue faced during the dot.bomb days are long gone. The delays in SFO these days are no worst then any other major hub airports. I believe in the latest survey, SFO has actually dropped off the top 5 worst list.

That is, until the fog rolls in and then you cannot land and take off two abreast. They are battling to extend the runways into the bay for this reason. I don't have statistics but I don't believe that things are any better at SFO because of the weather.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

leamside

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:33 am

With the recent installation of the $20 million dollar Precision Runway Monitor and the Systemized Offset Instrument Approach (PRM/SOIA) say goodbye to much of the landing delays at SFO. Dual landings now possible even in bad weather! The Queen is now King  Big grin

See: http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/102104n_sfo

JoFMO

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:47 am

What are the chances that the new runway will be realized?

legacyins

Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:00 pm

There is a very little chance those runways will ever be built. Passenger levels are still way below 2000 levels. The airport may try to reconfigure the runways but in reality the real problem is the amount of traffic into SFO at certain times cannot be realized by the present runway configuration.

modesto2

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:51 pm

SFO's international terminal is beautiful! Plus, clearing immigration/customs is seamless. I've never flown international from LAX, but I sure love SFO!

United Airline

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:20 pm

Isn't LAX a MUCH busier airport???? Also they have a lot more flights right?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos