Aero
Topic Author

LatinAmerican Most Impressive Landing Scenery?

Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:59 pm

Hi guys...

This topic is of course very personal and maybe subjective...and That´s why I´d like to read from you, specially if you´re not from LatAm about your impressions in the Region´s airport, scenery, etc.

I haven´t been to all airports in the world..Of course, but for me, landing at Santiago de Chile (SCL) coming from Europe or Argentina is very exciting, impresive and moving. The aircraft starts with the landing procedures crossing the big Andes, in the middle of those huge mountains (on the left you can admire "The Aconcagua"...America´s Highest mountain), turning suddenly left before you reach the endless pacific ocean. Then, between the Andes and the coast mountains, going down between green wine valleys until you reach SCL´s Airport...Arturo Merino Benítez
Just amazing!

I also like landing in CCS between mountains and the Caribbean. Recife is quite nice as well.

What about your choices?
LAN...the star of the Latin American skies

Chiguire

RE: LatinAmerican Most Impressive Landing Scenery?

Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:05 pm

Aero
Vorsicht! They might move your threat to the "polls" section. They already did with my question about the website quality of Latinamerican Airlines.
For me landing in MRD (Merida, Venezuela) is quite impressive as you come in between 5000m high mountains and land in the middle of the city. But nothing against the descend in SXB !!

Aero
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:48 pm

Chiguire:

Danke! - Warum?
My topic is about airports, landing´s scenary....it´s all about aviation?
what do you mean?

cxsjr

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:12 pm

Coincidentally, I have never flown into LatAm but tonight I fly to SCL via GRU then later in the week, onto Calama, Punta Arenas and Puerto Montt.

I am quite excited having read your notes about SCL and look forward to arriving there tomorrow afternoon even more so! Hoping to post some pics from this trip on A.net on my return.

Thank you!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

hardiwv

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:12 pm

I dont have any doubts: SDU (Rio de Janeiro Domestic/Santos Dummont) offers the best landscape in the region, if not in the world.

The airport is small (well, ranked 5th in Latin America in pax traffic!), efficient and cosy. It is named after the "father" of aviation.

Landing in SDU is breathtaking, and a unique experience. After all, it is located in the centre of the "marvelous city"  Smile

Some pics of SDU airport, which offers amazing panoramic view of the the "wonderful city"

Pic 1: SDU seen from the Corcovado, next to the famous statue of "Christ the Redeemer", the symbol of Rio de Janeiro.
Pic 2: an overview from the Sugar Loaf, with TAM A319 about to touch;

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Snorre - VIP Vienna International Planespotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Snorre - VIP Vienna International Planespotters

Pic 3: the famous Sugar Loaf, just behind SDU airport;
Pic 4: an overview of SDU's ramp during the afternoon with one of Rio's landmarks, the Sugarloaf, in the background. In this picture you can see one Gol 737-700, one Varig 737-500, one Varig 737-300, one Vasp 737-300 and two TAM A319.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Waser - Aviapix Zurich/Worldwide
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernardo Andrade

Pic 5: Behind SDU, a fascinating view of the second longest bridge in the world, the Rio-Niteroi Bridge;
Pic 6: Overview of SDU taken from GOL flight;

View Large View Medium

Photo © RGB Imagem Digital
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fernando Martins

Pic 7: another overview of SDU;
Pic 8: in this overview in can see the proximity of SDU to downtown Rio de Janeiro;

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Mogren
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel R Carneiro

The scenary around SDU makes it a wonderful airport, and my favourite airport in the world!

Rgs,
Hardi

TACAA320

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:43 pm

The most scary experience: landing in TGU...
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Lan_Fanatic

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:52 pm

I love approach to SCL coming from Europe or eastern South America, as the plane must descent quite quickly after crossing the Andes applying speedbrakes and all that. Amazing.

Also I find very interesting landing at GRU. I've landed 6 times at GRU...the first five it was cloudy or foggy so nothing could be seen, but the last time I landed there it was completely clear, and I was schocked by the size of that city.

Also seeing planes landing at SDU is quite impressive.

Speedbird747

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:09 am

I found the approach into UIO quite amazing. The airport is situated in the middle of the city of Quito and its surrounded by high mountains. Last year I landed in UIO during the night, on a AA 757 from MIA. Then one week later, on a TAME Fokker F-28 on the Jumpseat. It was simply breathtaking!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Pic 1: View from the north
Pic 2: View from the south

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ander Aguirre
View Large View Medium

Photo © Giancarlo Giuliano

View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier Guerrero
View Large View Medium

Photo © Alejandro ILLAN

Cheers
Speedbird747

IBERIA747

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:16 am

Untill now I have landed at the following Airports in Latin America:

MEX
GUA
FRS
MGA
SJO
PTY
SDQ
UIO
GYE
EZE
AEP
IGR
GIG

Also landed at Aruba and Curaçao, but those don't count as Latin America.

I have to say that approach and landing at SCL must be impressive indeed...I hope to do it one day.

However, in my case, the most impressive approaches have been GUA and UIO, with a big difference.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

roblondon70

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:21 am

Landing at UIO on board an AA 757 in the midst of a thunderstorm was pretty spectacular......didn't see the scenery but endured two attempts at landing before diverting to GYE!

B757200

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:23 am

I agree with Chiguire. Landing in MRD is quite an experience.

RCS763AV

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am

Approaching BOG in the night...you go through the savannah and suddenly the city lights appear in front of you and seconds later you touch at ElDorado! Also, ADZ approach is beautiful! I like MEX a lot also!

aer

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:21 am

Definitely the approaches in GUA and TGU. I love rollercoaster rides.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

OS-A330

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:32 am

You forgot CUZ, guys!
That's one hell of an approach!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel Cano Alva
View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel Cano alva

aacun

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:30 am

After traveling around South America for a while, I´d have to say that landing in La Paz is probably the most breathtaking and impressive approach, not only in South America, but the world. It is by far my favorite, and for what I´ve heard, Im not alone on this one.

Aero
Topic Author

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:20 am

welcome to Santiago de Chile (SCL)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ronan Damasco

View Large View Medium

Photo © Claudio Luna
View Large View Medium

Photo © Alejandro Ruiz Yañez

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Allan Martins Antunes

Cxsjr: Enjoy your trip to LatAm and don´t forget to tell us about your landing!

Marambio

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:26 am

Gosh that approach to SCL seems to be amazing! So far I believe the best approach of all I have seen is Cuzco (CUZ). And as OS-A330 pointed out, it is a hell of approach!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

ElAlto

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:51 am

Hi there,

as my nickname states....it has to be La Paz's El Alto airport. The incredible view of the valley in which the city of La Paz is, surrounded by the Andes mountains will be on my mind forever!

bogota

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:52 am

Come on do not leave BOG behind. The Lush Magdalena River Valley, Snow covered mountains in the Central Andes Range, Huge cliffs as you approach the BOG VOR, clouds hanging down from the Eastern Andes Range as you come into the beautiful Sabana de Bogota, our green 8.300 high plateau with the city at its far end. And if you are lucky you will land into one of the runways 31 instead of 13, having full flaps, gear out as you turn 180 degrees on top of the city in the middle of 11.000 ft mountains.

usatoeze

Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:48 am

Oh my there are so many good landings....

I think that a few in particular stand out:

As noted

UIO
SCL

Both are really neat, and UIO is a little frightening. Cotopaxi can occasionally be seen on approach..and it is a little scary. My fiancee wont fly to Quito...she always insists on flying to GYE and then taking a bus...
SCL is awesome no matter which approach you take. It can be cloudy like SEA sometimes but the Andes are usually visible through the clouds....awesome

A few that havent been mentioned

MDZ (Mendoza, Argentina) gives you great views of the Andes on one approach and usually has clear skies and no clouds to worry about...decent airport but small.

I love the approach to EZE even if it is very flat.....because of the flatness you can almost see all the way from Zarate to La Plata on approach...and the endless pampas look like a big green pancake.

I would like to fly into Cuenca, Arequipa, and La Paz someday....
War is a very poor political tool

av757

Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:19 am

Quito Ecuador, UIO, SEQU. The visual part of the circling approach to runway 17 over the city, then the downwind leg in between mountains and the Los Chillos Valley and the base leg and final leg within the canyon and the newer neighborhoods over the city.

Regards:
AV757

Dakota

Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:49 am

In Latin America, I know GRU, VVI (Santa Cruz de la Sierra), CBB(Cochabamba), UIO, GYE, Cuenca and Tumbes.

Most spectacular: definetely UIO, landed there 3 times (last time 4 weeks ago at sunrise in a KLM MD-11, WOW!). Also the flight UIO-GYE is amazing with all those Ecuadorian vulcanos!

But I have to say I really wanted to land in La Paz to during my trip to Bolivia. SCL seems interesting to!

andahuailas

Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:55 am

Landing at Huaraz(Anta) in north Central Peru has the most incredible scenery. Unfortunatley the airport doesn't have regular flights anymore

RCS763AV

Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:56 am

I forgot MZL (Manizales-La Nubia)!!!!!! When descent starts, you pass tightly besides El Nevado del ruiz (ice covered mountain) and then through the mountainous coffe plantations! The, you land on the small runway in the outskirts of the city, done this approach 7 times and it has never bored me. Much better than AXM and PEI.

Some pics:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Pablo Gómez

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Pablo Gómez

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Pablo Gómez

[Edited 2004-11-07 02:07:39]

757MDE

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:07 am

Medellín Olaya Herrera SKMD/EOH is quite impressive also, specially when circling above the city to land at RWY01.

Mom flew that approach not too long approach on a Satena ERJ-145 and was soo white when she descended the plane! What a scare she had...!
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

SEQU

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:28 am

Hola Todos,

Does a photo have to have been accepted in the database in order to post it here as previous posters have done???

I have some pictures of approaching Cuenca...

Saludos,

Lan_Fanatic

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:02 pm

I have something to say to all of you that have said that perhaps approach to SCL looks amazing..

Actually, it is great, but it's not as amazing as you may think!
Well, the beginning of descent is great (if you're coming from Argentina,Brazil,Uruguay,Paraguay or Europe) as the plane will begin lowering its altitude and speed still over the Andes and you can see the speedbrakes and flaps deploying over the permafrost of this mountain range. Then you will have a sudden turn to te left in order to get aligned with the runway, and then more flaps and still more speedbrakes, so the aircraft gets lower and slower rapidly after crossing the Andes..............but then that's it...nothing THAT much out of normal. Perhaps I'm biased as I have experienced this descent many times.
I'm sure other south american approaches are much more interesing than landing at SCL...well...sorry for bursting a self inflated bubble!

greetings

nickofatlanta

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:12 pm

I would say LPB. Probably the most spectacular approach I've ever seen anywhere in the world ... and it was at sunrise!

FoxBravo

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:16 am

I haven't flown into many Latin American airports, but LPB and CUZ certainly rank as two of the most scenic I have landed at anywhere.

MEX and GRU are also incredible for the sheer size of the cities--they seem to stretch on forever.

There's another that comes to mind--it doesn't really count since I saw it on takeoff rather than landing--but moments after departing from OAX, you can see the ruins of Monte Alban on a hilltop just off the left wing. Spectacular!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

ghost77

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:53 am

SXM is part of the carribean and carribean is part of Latam!

My vote goes to:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ricardo Morales Aviation Photography of Mexico
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ricardo Morales Aviation Photography of Mexico

Ricardo APM

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

airplane

Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:08 am

In deed SCL,
BOG is beautiful during the day, at night there is not much to see.
Taking off from BOG with MTOW is something to wet your pants.

UIO is also something to drop tears when you are taking off with MTOW, special on 737-200's or 727's.
Once taking off from UIO to SDQ on an IB DC-10, at one point I thought we were driving not flying.
UIO is tough like Captain AV757 said landing on 17 takes a lot of different scenarios in the last 5 minutes, including windshear at final approach.
Landing on 35, the glide slope will get you in too high and the terrain alarm will call out when flying over VOR QMS.

GYE is a piece of cake.

CUE is tough, the runway is more like a driveway.

ADZ is beautiful.

SEQU bring up those CUE pics ! cool !

JP
The sky´s the limit

Chiguire

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:12 am

There are now so many guys from Venezuela ! Is there nobody with good MRD-pics ?
If you count SXM to LatAm, then SBH is also LatAm:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Valentine

View Large View Medium

Photo © Garry Lewis - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Garry Lewis - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Valentine

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Valentine

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tommy Mogren / Viking Slides

An this is the most spectacular airport location I have been to.

citationjet

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:39 am

Aero,
Here is why Chiguire said that your question may be moved to Opinions & Polls. The polls forum gives the following description:

What's your favorite airline? Who's the best airline CEO? What airports have you been to?

There is no question that your post involves aviation and airports. The original post could be interpreted as asking "what is your favorite SA airport?", which is the criteria for the polls forum.

[Edited 2004-11-07 20:03:38]
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Arcano

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:48 am

I have to say

SCL, with no doubt. If you get the chance of doing it, chose left windows, as the aircraft always lands from the north. Then you see the Andes, the Aconcagua (about 5 minutes befor landing) and the valleys. You also get to see the city on your left, specially at nightime, with the hills in the middle of the city as a black hole in between all those lights, and Virgin Mary lighten on the top...

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Lan Fanatic: you are getting used to it I'm affraid, but SCL is a very beautiful landing. Other very impresive in Chile is Copiapo (CPO), with harsh turnings and descendings before landing.

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

The only think that's not cool at all of landing at SCL is when the crew welcomes you to an airport with such a Banana Republic name!

Long live Aeropuerto Pudahuel!

Regards )( Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

PanAm747

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:07 am

Slightly off topic, but wouldn't an a.netter's worldwind tour of the dramatic airports of the Americas be fun? We could make our judgements from first hand experience, and decide the winner from firsthand experience?

How about this routing? MIA - SXM (a lovely tropical stayover at Maho Beach for a few days of spotting, of course, is required) - TGC - PTY (for an aerial shot of the Panama Canal) - CCS - BOG - UIO - CUZ (side trip to Macchu Pichu) - LPZ - VVI (for re-fueling) - SCL (over the Andes) - WPU (to go as far south as you possibly can without being in Antarctica!!) - EZE or MVD - SDU - MAO (to see if this industrial city really is laid out like an airplane - and then while back to MIA, we can start the evaluation process.

Did I leave any out?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Chiguire

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:39 am

PanAm747 Great ! Where can I book that ?

hardiwv

LatinAmerican Most Impressive Landing Scenery?

Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:02 am

PanAm747:

Some corrections: from MVD or EZE you have to go to GIG (Rio International) since SDU (Rio Domestic) only operates the Rio Domestic-Sao Paulo Domestic (SDu-CGH) air shuttle/ponte-aerea (which already keeps the airport extremely busy). From Rio you have to fly to BSB (Brasilia is the city in the format of an airplane), MAO, which you mentioned, is the airport code for Manaus, which also offers an amazing landscape/view since it's in the middle of the biggest forest on earth: Amazon Forest. From BSB to MAO you will fly about 2 hours with only the forest on your sight!!!

Rgs,
Hardi

Aero
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:39 am

LanFanatic:

SCL is amazing until the end! - Depending on weather and on the season of the year, you can enjoy a fantastic landing. Of course i respect your personal opinion too  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gustaf Strengell

what i found great too was landing in Canaima, Venezuela...in the rain forest.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Prophet

Thank u CitationJet for your post. Your username reminds me of my work  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

britmex

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:43 am

you seem to forget MEX, specially from in flights arriving from the south east. Descent starts over the port of Veracruz, continuing to Puebla and passing very close to both Popocatepetl and Ixtazihuatl volcanoes (the Popo is still active, sometimes diverting flights when fumes are expelled) and then continuing over the southern parts of Mexico City. If RWY 05 is in use that includes a tour over the WTC and some other big buildings. On north incoming flights, a beautiful tour of Chapultepec gardens and the Polanco trendy area is also possible.

So far I have seen many beautiful and interesting approaches in my life but the best ones are SCL and MEX.

Britmex
Aeromexico, la linea aerea que va para arriba

Ratypus

Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:50 pm

I'm going with AACun and co - La Paz, Bolivia is a breath-taking landing!

I've landed there twice - from each end of the runway...the first time was a LAN A320, coming in from Arica in Chile the Altiplano suddenly gives way into a chasm in the mountains....the plane heads out over the city that is built into the steep valley, then makes a sharp 180 turn and comes round to fly straight at the cliff and land square on it at El Alto. Awesome landing from the city-side.

Coming from the other side is fantastic too - landing onto the runway, the city hidden from view over the cliff at the end of the runway, and Illimani ahead - I did this in a 12-seater Cessna coming in from the jungle, and had a clear view through the front window...again, an incredible landing.

Ratypus

Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:54 pm

And one that hasn't been mentioned - Arequipa, Peru.

If you fly in from the North - Cuzco or Juliaca - you're flying over the Altiplano at approx 4000......on approach to Arequipa you pretty much follow the terrain downwards, never sure how much lower till you reach the city, take a right hand turn underneath the slopes of El Misti (6000 m volcano - I went to the top and the LAN planes were definitely below us!) then land in Arequipa.

Best bit is stepping off the plane in perfect Arequipa sunshine (360 days a year) and turning to see your shiny LAN airbus against a stunning backdrops of three mountain ranges!

A new airport for the list!

SEQU

Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:52 am

Some of you might have heard about SETM, La Toma, in Loja, Ecuador. The airport is in a beautiful valley with high mountains on three sides. The mountain range to the north and east is about 10,000 MSL out to about 6 NM from the runway, with the highest elevation being 12,200 MSL about 8 NM from the runway. Rising terrain to the south has about 6,000 MSL elevation as well. Mountains to the west are about 6,000 MSL at only 3 NM from the runway and the airport elevation is 4,061 ft. The approach is made overhead beginning at 10,000 MSL over the field, flying an outbound leg to the south for 8 NM descending to 8,000 MSL. You must have VFR conditions at this point or begin a missed approach. If you have VFR, you turn 180 degrees within the canyon, return over the river for a turn to final only 1 NM from the runway. The orientation of the runway is 06/24, with both ends pointing directly to the mountains. Fun and Challenging!!! I was always too busy flying to take pictures, but you can see the mountains in this picture....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alfredo Perilla

The mountains look far away, but it is only because of the wide angle of the shot....

I've uploaded the Cuenca Approach and Circle to land pictures in the database. I hope they get accepted so that you may see the challenge it is...

Saludos,

Alfredo

EZEIZA

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:50 am

SCL is amazing, no doubt. I also enjoyed landing in MEX and GRU, but admiting I am biased, I would have to put AEP among the top 3, especially when you fly right by the River stadium  Big thumbs up
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

WiLdmanVzla

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:32 am

I really enjoyed reading this thread... I can not give you an only airport!!!!.

MRD (venezuelan andes) is great... Ushuaia is also great... MEX (most likely at sunday morning) is wonderful... SCL (coming from EZE) can be some wonderful... LPB is heart breaking... TGU is soooooo worring... a lot are so nice!!!!!

The choice of watching an scenary when you're landing is one of the reasons why I love to fly so much...

estick

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:49 pm

Ever tried AEP at night??????........Leaves you speechless!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos