European
Topic Author

A Bournemouth Base For Ryanair?

Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:57 am

Hello all,

I was wondering with the successes that Ryanair has had at Bournemouth over the past few years could they ever make it into a small base?

They operate 3 destination every day to Girona,Glasgow and Dublin and used to operate a popular Flight to Frankfurt. It would be a real money-maker!

Are there any plans to operate more flights out of Bournemouth?

Any Info on Bournemouth or Ryanair Would be great!

European
Come on Ryanair! Come on BOH! BASE BASE BASE! Flying high in the skies...........

Pe@rson

RE: A Bournemouth Base For Ryanair?

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:08 am

Prior to FR acquiring Buzz, Buzz was planning to serve a range of destinations from BOH (I can't remember which, though). FR decided not to follow any of these. However, it does, as you rightly said, currently operate three routes from BOH: to DUB, GRO and PIK. There is probably potential for certain destinations from the airport.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

TOMfly

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:36 am

Thomsonfly are setting up a base at Bournemouth as well as Doncaster with flights starting in March/April 2005. Likely destinations include Alicante, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Cork, Faro, Geneva, Ibiza, Malaga, Palma, Salzburg, Valencia, Venice. This is going to be great news for both the north and the south.
NO URLS in signature

Thomas_Jaeger

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:40 am

Buzz was planning to fly to Amsterdam, Belfast Int'l, Bergerac, La Rochelle, Malaga, Murcia and Paris CDG out of Bournemouth starting March 30, 2003.

It's good to have my news archive  Smile.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

dogfighter2111

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:45 am

The problem is, there is 2 airports in Glasgow, they use the airport about 20-30 miles out of Glasgow's city centre. It is almost only tourists that pay the money for these flights, because they don't know where they are.

Mike

Londoncenter

Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:34 pm

FR did fly to Frankfurt Hahn from BOH the other year but it did not last. So maybe they are a little reluctant to start any new routes. Although that was replaced by the Barcelona service so maybe FR just thought they would make more from that route than its predecessor. BOH definitely has a decent sized catchment area in a reasonably wealthy part of the country so it should be able to be made a success of.

gkirk

Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:37 pm

The BOH-HHN flight was replaced by BOH-GRO
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Ndebele

Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:29 pm

The problem is, there is 2 airports in Glasgow, they use the airport about 20-30 miles out of Glasgow's city centre. It is almost only tourists that pay the money for these flights, because they don't know where they are.
I found PIK to be one of the better-connected airports in the Ryanair network, with the train station next to the terminal. Especially if you're not visting the city of Glasgow only, but rather visit the whole Ayrshire region (which I can only recommend, it's really nice there), PIK is very convenient and well-connected.

European
Topic Author

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:59 am

GKirk,

Yes i knew that but do you think that they will start it up again?
It was popuar but apparently they didn't have enough aircraft at the time so canncelled the service when the Barcelona started!

European
Come on Ryanair! Come on BOH! BASE BASE BASE! Flying high in the skies...........

servisairkid

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:22 am

The airport has potential but would it cope with 2 lcc. It would not be good for Palmair either. Mind you it would mean a new terminal which the airport has being waiting for.

European
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:58 am

Why would Ryanair making a base at Bournemouth not be good for Palmair -i know it would not help them - Palmair operated Holidays - Ryanair just the Flights for low cost prices

European

servisairkid

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:24 pm

The fact that Palmair now operate low cost flights, well, lowish they will still compete with each other on the sunshine routes. Also with flybe up at southampton with a strong network and bristol not that far it would be hard for FR top tap into a ready market.