redngold

Small Plane Down In Detroit

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:21 am

Crashed on approach to DET (Detroit City); no fatalities reported.

ABC/IBSYS
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/3900285/detail.html
Up, up and away!

jetblast

RE: Small Plane Down In Detroit

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:24 am

Why are there so many accidents between Oct-Nov of this year?!

JetBlast @ BWI
Speedbird Concorde One

JAXpax

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:25 am

Why are there so many accidents between Oct-Nov of this year?!

There haven't really been. The media is just picking up on more light aircraft accidents lately than they usually do.

jetblast

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:29 am

Ok thanks JAXpax, you really are right.

JetBlast @ BWI  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Speedbird Concorde One

redngold

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:33 am

Yeah, I hate to put up a "junk post" but it seems to point out two issues:

1) The possibility that more cities will follow King... er... Mayor Dailey and try to close downtown airports due to "safety and security concerns" and

2) That people are more interested/aware/paranoid about small plane activity since 9/11 and the cropduster conspiracies.

redngold
Up, up and away!

jetblast

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:38 am

Good point redngold. The King of the Kingdom of Chicago His Highness Daley went over the top with his dumb idea.

JetBlast @ BWI  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Speedbird Concorde One

HlywdCatft

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:05 pm

There already is talk about closing DET.

King Kwame Kilpatrick has given DET an ultimatum to improve and bring back commercial service flights or close completely.

Meteorologist

Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:14 pm

As my first post to a.net and as a native Detroiter, I figure I should post on the comments about KDET:

It seems to me that I recall the City of Detroit promising Southwest over and over that they would extend runways at DET in order for Southwest to stay. When they promised and failed over and over again, Southwest moved to DTW. Am I correct on this? And if so, why would they expect additional meaningful (something more substantial than the now defunct ProAir) commerical service with the daunting capacity of DTW only about 25 miles away and the additional capacity of FNT only 50 miles away? Even the county executive of Oakland County, the largest county in the area outside of the one Detroit lies in, is trying to push people in Oakland County to use FNT regularly, and with increases in service there from DL, NW, FL, new service from CO and ATA, I just don't understand. In fact, I'm flying YX to FNT on Friday. Just curious on comments.

HlywdCatft

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:50 pm

I live in Florida now, but I was looking for information online about the DTW expansion projects and somehow I pulled up an article in the free Press about Mayor Kwame threatening to close DET if it doesn't make improvements soon.

I remember a couple years ago there was talk about Pan Am III and another small company serving DET. Pan Am III I thought was supposed to fly between DET and that East St. Louis airport, I don't remember the other company.

electraBob

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:58 pm

Hard to believe, but the area where this plane (Piper Aztec) crashed...just south of Detroit City Airport...is a neighborhood of brand new homes....who would have ever thought you would see new homes being built near City Airport....this is one of the most run-down areas of the city.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

2H4

Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:41 am

Welcome to Airliners, Meteorologist! Good to have a wx guy aboard!

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Meteorologist

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:15 am

Thanks for the welcome, 2H4!

Note to my fellow Detroiters....watch for snowflakes around southern Lower Michigan Thursday  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Might this be the first time they break out the deicing fluid and the remote pads at DTW for the season?

SparkyN501

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:02 am

Thanks for the weather update Meteorologist!! We broke in the remote pads bright and early this morning with a Saab loaded up with frost! We're all ready to go!! Let it snow!! And Welcome!!!
Arguing with a pilot is like mudwrestling a pig. After awhile you begin to think the pig likes it.