Pe@rson
Topic Author

Why Do Some Airlines Miss Out 'Q' In Registrations

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:49 am

Is there a specific reason why some airlines don't have 'Q' as the final letter in aircraft registrations? For example, FR has EI-DAP and DAR but no DAQ; also, it has EI-DCP and EI-DCR (well, it will have DCR come next month), but it won't have DCQ. Is it an identification problem? After all, it's not always easy to instantly tell 'O' and 'Q' apart, especially at a distance.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

FoxBravo

RE: Why Do Some Airlines Miss Out 'Q' In Registrations

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:18 am

Is it an identification problem? After all, it's not always easy to instantly tell 'O' and 'Q' apart, especially at a distance.

I think you are probably right. In the U.S., the FAA won't allow the letters "I" and "O" in an N-number because they look too much like "1" and "0." I would guess that either the Irish civil aircraft registry has a similar regulation that does not allow the use of "Q," or Ryanair may have a company policy to that effect.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Vimanav

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:35 am

Yes, its the possibility of confusion between numerics 1 & 0 that keeps letters like Q, I and O out of the register. In my home country India however, these letters are freely used without any restrictions as in several other nations.

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

LeanOfPeak

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:40 am

Bingo.

Irish civil aircraft registration guidelines.

----------------------------------------
Specific registration combinations marks not issued are,e.g.PAN, SOS, XXX. The Authority no longer issues the letter Q in the registration group. A registration mark that may be considered embarrassing to any party may not be issued by the Authority.
----------------------------------------

codeshare

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:27 am

Similar thing with a "J" in Poland's a/c registrations. I don't know why. Maybe the "J" looks to much like an "I"?
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Thomas_Jaeger

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:30 am

It's just to make life for all those reg spotters out there easier  Smile
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place