UA772IAD
Topic Author

AA LCC?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:35 am

Before I begin here's the disclaimer:
YES I did do a thorough search for this topic, and NO I didn't find anything. Okay- that's done.

I was wondering why AA doesn't have a LCC like the other two big legacy carriers? (UA=Ted, DL=Song-do they have abbreviations?). I know that AA did purchase Reno Air in the mid 90s, but they only have their mainline and regional/commuter service. Why haven't they followed the trend?

UA772IAD
Topic Author

RE: AA LCC?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:37 am

PART II:
If AA DID have a LCC, would it prosper? And in terms of design, what would they call it and what would their planes look like? (just for fun)

Thrust

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:47 am

Starting LCCs have done nothing so far for the big U.S. carriers. DL and UA have paid dearly for starting Song and Ted...they are draining their finances down the toilet. DL and UA have already proven that starting an LCC is not the way to generate revenue. AA is wise to spend their money on other things such as new international service, where WN isn't there to threaten them. AA is losing enough passengers to WN as it is....if they started an LCC they would likely suffer the same fate as UA and DL. Starting an airline in these troubled times is not a wise move, especially for a big U.S. carrier like AA, which has a hard enough time against WN.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

moman

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:50 am

I always thought they should have overhauled TWA and made it their LCC.

Reasons for TWA being LCC:
-Mainly MD-80 based & 757 (smaller jets) (DUMP 767s on AA)
-Flights to a lot of leisure destinations
-Motivated workforce that wasn't really interested in being integrated into AA the way AA wanted them to be
-Single major hub @ STL
-The big plus is that TWA would still be alive and we would see the transition livery still!!!!

I think it could have been possible had AA renegotiated all the leases and such. The AA workforce was paid less than AA so they could have kept it that way, and integrated the two where it made most sense.

Of course that was my dream, but not to be (for now).

Anyways, Gerald Arpey is on the record for saying he doesn't see any use for an AA LCC, so I wouldn't count on them doing it anytime soon.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

NIKV69

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:06 am

At this point AA is struggling. They really should find some ways to stabilize their own situation before embarking on a LCC venture and going up against B6 and WN who happen to be probably the only carriers making money!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ScottB

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:25 am

The AA LCC would be called "Rican" with a hub at SJU...

jetBlue

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:11 am

Maybe they could call it "ERIC".....it could be Ted's big bulley!  Smile Or if we need a female name, "Erica" could work....hehe...

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

Cactus739

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:27 am

Why hasn't AA followed the trend? Simple. It doesn't make sense and hasn't worked for anyone yet.

You come up with a cutesy lil name. For AA i'm thinking "Can". You take some of your planes and repaint them in cutesy colors. Then you take some of your regular passengers, put them on "Can" and charge them less. You still don't make money. Ask MetroJet, Shuttle by United and Continental Lite. You can find them at Mojave or Victorville.

US Airways could be "US". Then it would be an "US" versus everyone else battle.

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

jetBlue

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:03 pm

"US Airways could be "US". Then it would be an "US" versus everyone else battle."

That's great Cactus739!  Smile
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

aa777flyer

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:12 pm

AA has LONG believed an airline within an airline would not work. UA proved this with Shuttle By United. They are proving it again with TED. Additionally the ALPA would NEVER go for it. They have enough of a S*%# fit over Eagle.
Never say never, but with AA's current costs among the LOWEST of the legacy carriers, I doubt AA will start a LCC.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

BR715-A1-30

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:34 pm

Thrust: Well Said.

NW, CO, and AA do not have any LCCs and they are doing the best right now out of all of the legacy carriers.

UA, DL, and US have LCCs or formerly had LCCs to the point where they took up so much money and resources, the airline went bankrupt, or they had to shut down the LCC and never fully recovered.
Puhdiddle

aeronuts

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:57 pm

Flying on some AA routes feels like it's a LCC.

SPREE34

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:33 am

Aa777flyer....." Additionally the ALPA would NEVER go for it. They have enough of a S*%# fit over Eagle."

ALPA has no dog in that fight. American Pilots are represented by Allied Pilots Association. APA. But they wouldn't go for it either.

AA is doing it right by fixing their mainline issues. They can still compete domestically with the LCCs through their present cost reduction moves.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

JAFA

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:36 am

All the majors have a LCC, its called the coach cabin. At least its not like some european LCC where you have to pay for soda, tea, and coffee. Its dumb to have a seperate LCC division, it just drives up costs of the parent company.

ACAfan

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:35 am

AA does have low costs, when compared to the other majors. Especially since their Stupid-80 fleet is paid for.

When the costs are lower than the others, and the fares are the same as the others, AA does pretty well as it is.

There is no need for an internal LCC.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

September11

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:43 am

I suppose if TWA exists today, they would be #1 LCC airline under AA.
Airliners.net of the Future

SkyTeam7488

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:40 am

IIRC, didn't AA already have an LCC way back when called AAway, I think I remember something on here about it, was it a reality, where and what did they fly??

TonyO
You only live once... So live the high life.