LAXintl

US Air Union Members Authorize Strike

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:01 pm

Might seem like nuts, however the CWA union representing about 6000 customer service agents have passed a strike authorization.

Below is the CWA statement.

11-10-2004

Strike authorization vote by US Airways Passenger Service employees passes overwhelmingly: 86% approve, 14% disapprove...
CWA represented US Airways agents and reps have voted overwhelmingly to authorize a strike or other lawful job action in the event that management imposes concessions through the bankruptcy process without a vote of the employees. With strong showings from all locations and workgroups, the CWA Passenger Service local presidents counted the ballots today at CWA’s national headquarters in Washington, DC .

The final vote tally was 86% in favor of strike authorization and 14% opposed. Full details and explanation of the strike vote authorization process and procedures, including CWA strike benefits, is contained in the letter you received at your home address accompanying your strike authorization ballot.
The CWA local presidents immediately issued this statement: “Thank you, agents and reps, for giving us this show of strength and determination. We pledge to make every effort to reach a reasonable settlement with management – a settlement that can be ratified by a vote of the employees. Thank you for support.”

Negotiations continue this week; management’s bankruptcy motion to reject our contract may come as early as Monday...

CWA’ers and management met on Tuesday, November 9, and received management’s latest proposal; there was some movement, but still a very long way to go before it would be acceptable to the agents and reps.

We are working on a counter-proposal and at the same time our analysts are exchanging information with management analysts to compare the value of their proposals vs. ours.
We expect to be engaged in that process all week and are aiming to present a proposal to management on Friday if possible, or early next week at the latest. We are anticipating that management will file their 1113c bankruptcy motion to reject our contract as early as next Monday, November 15. We’ll keep you informed.
CWA Local Officers and Staff
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

N1120A

RE: US Air Union Members Authorize Strike

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:05 pm

Can you blame them? They are probably so tired of the crap there that they see no other choice.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

The777Man

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:01 pm

I guess this is the beginning to the end ? Can't blame them either.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Azul320

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:11 pm

The bad news just keeps getting worse at US, so much negativity there.
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

gigneil

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:12 pm

I can blame them. They'll all be completely out of a job, and destitute.

N

Spacepope

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:34 pm

Bankrupt airline barely holding on... Strike sounds like a great idea to me. Guess we'll see just how long the union supports them after the airline liquidates.
The last of the famous international playboys

N1120A

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:48 pm

>I can blame them. They'll all be completely out of a job, and destitute.<

As opposed to the alternative? Out of a job, destitute and with an even smaller last check?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Lufthansa

Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:02 pm

Bye Bye USAirways.

I guess this is good news for Indy and DL.
But god, how stupid can ya get. The problem is, there are too many planes active in that area...it is as simple as that. They may help solve that problem by removing themselves from the equation.

I'm sure Indy would love to up its loads around the DC area, and although they competite from different airports, it will still have an impact. Im sure delta would love to increase shuttle frequencies. Im sure all of the majors would like one less trans-atlantic competitor given they all seem to want to put a greater focus on international operations. Really, this is all very very stupid. I know they're not happy with the current situation, but pushing themselves to the wall even faster isnt going to help.

bucky707

Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:30 pm

"I can blame them. They'll all be completely out of a job, and destitute."

There is a reason the gate agents voted to strike. They are down to less than $10 an hour. They can go replace that income anywhere. No reason not to strike. My guess is the vast majority of them are ready willing and able to leave for other employement.

jeb94

Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:34 pm

Don't be surprised if the mechanics join them soon. Some of the things that USAir management wants them to agree to is unbelievable and a total slap in the face. Better to be collecting unemployment and looking for another job than putting up with USAir management.

flybyguy

Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:44 pm

If these people don't like it QUIT... there are plenty of people that would love to take their "crappy" jobs if it puts food on the table.

THIS IS COMPLETELY SELFISH of them! They shouldn't ruin the job market for the sake of vengeance, if they do I have no pity to give them.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

bennett123

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:12 pm

How will this ruin the job market.

gigneil

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:28 pm

There is a reason the gate agents voted to strike. They are down to less than $10 an hour. They can go replace that income anywhere. No reason not to strike. My guess is the vast majority of them are ready willing and able to leave for other employement.

Ah, right. The "we're pissed so we're going to ruin it for everyone" approach.

Classy.

N

Danny

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:11 pm

Very smart. This will accelerate the demise of US Airways and help the industry.

ATLhomeCMH

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:19 pm

I guess this is good news for Indy and DL.

Ummm, not Indy b/c they're not too far behind US. DL would benefit more than Indy.

This was a catch-22 situation from jump street...the union was trying to fend off another pay/benefit cut, but by doing this, US has assured their own demise...and soon. If they strike during the holidays, US won't survive the winter (if that long).
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

N6376M

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:22 pm

Ask Eastern Airlines union members how this strategy worked for them. See ya US.

RogerThat

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:31 pm

Eastern's IAM union leader Charilie Bryan cuts grass at a golf course last I heard.

US A333 PIT

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:55 pm

If the pay is so low and it would be easy to earn that salary at any other job, why wouldn't you just quit? Why can't it be an individual decision? If it's not worth it to you anymore, go do something else. Then those for whom it is still worth their while can continue working. But no, the CWA has to ruin it for everyone. Unionization, still clinging to ole' Karl Marx's manifesto: Workers of the world: Unite! I feel like all of these people missed the junior high history class memo...IT DOESN'T WORK! Good luck US Airways. I was always the optimist when it came to your survival. I've been flying you since I was a kid but with this behavior I just can't chance it anymore. God speed.

ERJ170

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:55 pm

This has got to be one of the most assinine moves I have seen. Strike? That makes no sense. So instead of getting paid $10/hour.. they are going to get paid $0/hour? And what makes any of them think they can just shut the airline down today and have a job tomorrow? Do they realize how many people they will be competing against in the real world? Do they think another airline job is going to be available for any/all of them? Which airline? Seems most are laying off also. Just sounds like some dumb f@cked up sh!t to me!

It's better to balk now, take the paycut, and look towards the future for possible re-initiation of their salary, then to be without work.. saying their shoulda-coulda-woulda's.

And then they also have to realize that they aren't they only one's their little strike will upset. Should anything happen to US because of this, the pilots and other groups that conceeded would have the right to beat and sue every one of their @sses...

That is the kinda of stupid sh!t that pisses me off...
Aiming High and going far..

Spoke2Spoke

Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:03 am

I wouldn't jump to such drastic conclusions yet, as some have on this thread. This is just positioning for negotiation. I think we all need to take a deep breath and wait and see...
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

flybyguy

Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:28 am

BENNETT123,

This selfish action will ruin the job market since there will be now one less company available in the industry to offer jobs or hold active jobs.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

ERJ170

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:00 am

BENNETT123,

This selfish action will ruin the job market since there will be now one less company available in the industry to offer jobs or hold active jobs.

Exactly, and that will be 10's of thousands of people expecting to get a job in the airline industry that has already laid of 10's of thousands. It's a lose-lose situation. Who will suffer? Not just the employees. Not just the management. But also the traveling public. Also the Airport Authorities. Also the supporting services. Basically, it is going to be felt by everyone. Just because a few thousand people could take it to the ass, millions will be affected. Just some bullsh!t.. Ahh, this pisses me off!
Aiming High and going far..

CLT18R

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:10 am

I am glad I have a job in CLT because if US goes belly up, there will be a lot of people looking for ANY job in Charlotte. Stupid move, stupid move. On the bright side, we will see more non-US planes when spotting out by runway18R and flying out of CLT will get a LOT cheaper.

ScottB

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:53 am

First of all, the CWA-represented workers at US Airways (not to mention all other union-represented workers at the airline) cannot strike unless and until the bankruptcy court judge permits the company to abrogate its labor contracts. It's unlikely that the process of rejecting the collective bargaining agreements will be completed before the end of the year, so there won't be a strike at US Airways during the holidays.

That said, the CWA members really have no obligations to anyone aside from themselves and their families. If the pilots are so concerned about the health of the company, they ought to offer to take deeper cuts so that the company can survive. Goodness knows they have the most to lose aside from senior management. What a lot of you don't understand is that the company's demands aren't about saving these people's jobs; the company is demanding the right to outsource much of the work done by these employees. So, in essence, by accepting this contract, many of the CWA members would be voting themselves out of a job anyway. And I don't think they're too thrilled to sacrifice themselves to save six-figure pilot salaries and Bruce Lakefield's "pimple" of a $425,000 annual salary. And the fact is that at the new pay levels, many of these folks could find other jobs with better hours somewhere else.

The strike vote is pretty much CWA's only leverage to get the company to negotiate in good faith. It's also a message to the management that using scare tactics and offering progressively worse contracts will not result in capitulation.

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:26 am

Eastern's IAM union leader Charilie Bryan cuts grass at a golf course last I heard.

Which one? I've got a five-iron ready to launch a Precept titanium ball that has his forehead's name ALL OVER it.  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

slider

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:07 am

Russian roulette with zero empty chambers.

Why don't we learn from history? It's all so futile. ScottB- I understand yuor thought about forcing the company to negotiate in good faith and not on scare tactics, but the outlook of the entire company is just that---pretty damn scary.

Brinksmanship doesn't help the situation.

The aviation ash heap better make room....company's coming.

stlgph

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:33 am

If this shuts down US Airways at the holiday time (like the strike was/is planned), and if ATA makes it until then, this will be very good for ATA at Indianapolis. This would also help Northwest's Indy operations as well.

On a side note, If ATA was smart, they'd move out of Chicago and pick up some O&D routes from Pittsburgh, Charlotte, and Philadelphia, particularly to the west such as Seattle, Phoenix, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, maybe even Dallas-Ft. Worth. They have the planes to do it and already the gates and facilities at the airports out west.

Dont know what effect it would have here in St. Louis directly. Might see American bring back mainline jets to Philadelphia. Maybe slight business boost to Florida or the Carolinas for Delta or AA.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

willbdsp

Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:15 am

I'd like to see ATA move to PIT. If the strike goes thru, I know where ATA can get some employees!!

ORD2PHL

Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:38 am

Goooooodbye Blue Sky (ala Pink Floyd)

The might as well strike, last week I was at the Preferred/Star Alliance Gold counter in PHL and when I walked up the attendant said it was "Shift Change" and walked away. No one came back for 15 minutes. As an elite from another Star carrier I'm tired of being treated like trash when I fly them, good riddance, even if I have to connect out of IAD or ORD to go anywhere from PHL; we need to loose the capacity in the system.

ORD2PHL

willbdsp

Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:43 am

Say they do strike right before Thanksgiving...what will happen if I am holding a US ticket?

Spoke2Spoke

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:01 am

According to ScottB, and his logic sounds good, they probably can't realistically strike before 2005.

EA CO AS, that was really funny. I'd love to see you hit that ball too.

Spokes
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

ltbewr

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:17 am

This is probably to counter the possible changes in their contracts by the Bankrupty Court. As noted above, probably won't be a strike until after the holidays. I would be concerned of 'job actions', like slowdowns, sickouts, and the like in the meantime that could really fudge up the situation and hasten US's demise. I wouldn't want to take US with luggage in the forseeable future. It's getting time to warm up the large lady to sing....

nucsh

RE: USAirways Livery

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:29 am

ERj170, thank you... Now I wont have to type as much.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

This pisses me off just as much. Especially the part where they're thinking that stiking against a dying company will get them a pay raise.

Anyway, they sure as hell better hold off on the strike, I have to fly US round trip to SJU over thanksgiving... (out of CLT)
If landing is about "kissing" the ground, you just about raped it.

ScottB

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:40 am

Slider-

There may well be few options, but the choice with which the CWA- (and the AFA- and IAM-) represented are faced appears to be between two equally unpalatable options. Try looking at it this way: A terrorist captures you and four friends. He gives you a choice of sawing off your own leg with a knife (and hopefully you won't bleed to death) or he'll chop off the heads of your friends and say it was all your fault. And there's no guarantee that he won't kill you or your friends in the end, anyway.

SHUPirate1

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:41 am

Nucsh-I agree...I have 8 flights on US during a 17 day stretch right before New Year's, they better survive at least that long (and the first four are on a free ticket, so I'm up dung creek without a paddle on those tickets if they fold):

US1011, 12/15/04, LGA-PHL, 320
US953, 12/15/04, PHL-PBI, 734
US534, 12/24/04, PBI-DCA, 733
US2176, 12/24/04, DCA-LGA, 319
US361, 12/27/04, LGA-CLT, 319
US728, 12/27/04, CLT-IAH, 733
US854, 12/31/04, IAH-CLT, 733
US820, 12/31/04, CLT-LGA, 320
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

NWFltAttendant

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:48 am

FULL PAY TO THE LAST DAY !!! (and then no job)

OK.. i guess the future doesnt matter, BUT DAMMIT I GUESS FULL PAY TO THE LAST DAY IS THE BOTTOM LINE... right... There plenty of space in the street.

US Employees: Its been nice knowing you, seeing you guys in the hotel van and bar, but I guess its time to go. Thank your counterparts at the ticket counter and res center for probably being the shapened stake to the heart.
Go yakkin !!!!!!

contrails

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:56 am

The end is near. What a shame.
Flying Colors Forever!

ETStar

Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:21 am

At least they will have no-one but themselves to blame when they are walking on all fours trying to get unemployment checks or even food stamps... talk about self inflicted wound... I certainly hope US shuts down if the unions do go on strike -

wgw2707

Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:30 am

This is absolutely sickening. I think US Airways should lock these swine out...

Would it be legal for US Airways to reactivate furloughed employees from other trades (ie Pilots, FAs etc.) to replace these jerks on an interim basis?

-WGW2707

Noise

Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:35 am

What idiots! All they are going to do is kill the company they are working for! Where's the logic? This is so stupid, it sickens me.

bennett123

Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:37 am

Replies 20 and 21 only make sense if you assume that the services will not be offered by other airlines.

If this is true, will will be due to lack of demand.

If the demand is there, then other airlines will replace US. They will need aircraft and staff to run these services, and the world will go on.

My understanding from previous comments made on this site is that there is too many flights chasing too few passengers.

Replies 37 and 38 are more like the response that I would expect from a Military Junta than a democracy. These people work for a private company, they are not in the Army.

wgw2707

Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:42 am

Bennett, you fail to realize that many industries such as the retail sector have operated for years in a constant state of overcapacity. Overcapacity is good for competition, good for the consumer. Also, a shutdown of US Airways would result in a total loss of service in many, many smaller cities along the East Coast of the United States, and would cause serious economic problems for major cities like Charlotte, North Carolina, where US Airways provides the neccessary connections to the rest of the world.

-WGW2707

bennett123

Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:51 am

WGW2707

If there is demand for services from these towns, then why do you assume that they will not be provided by other carriers.

I find your assertion that overcapacity is a good thing to be somewhat baffling. I know that it is a long time since I studied Economics, but my recollection is that the most efficient point was where Supply equaled Demand.

chgoflyer

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:02 am

Yet another Union contribution to U.S. aviation. Is there a law saying they have to work there? If everyone is so unsatisfied they go get another job...
Will someone please wake me up in 4 years

rongotai

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:29 am

Chgoflyer

Presumably your comment that they can always go and get another job is an affirmation of the philosophy that everyone is entitled to act in their own best interests.

If that is so, then the employees at US have no obligation to 'save the company', but only one to make judgements about their best personal exit strategy.

It is often the case that individual employees are better off in a failing company if they are there at the end. Leaving before the end can cut you off from certain creditor benefits, especially relating to pensions.

It is also usually the case that in such situations my personal interests as an employee would be served best by everyone else quitting except me. Given that that is a highly improbable scenario the next best thing is for everyone to hang in collectively and to take the company down as fast as possible once the judgement is that company survival is impossible.

It is this last judgement that is the most difficult, but all the talk in this thread of selfishness, the travelling public and employee actions being responsible for the demise of the company is pure double standard bullshit. If you believe in a free market with rationally maximising individual players, then the actions of the USAir staff are entirely rational and defensible. The fact that the best rational maximising strategy in a free market in this case involves collective action such as a union might best organise is one of life's delightful paradoxes of the type that catch out ideological bullshitters.

RyanAFAMSP

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:09 am

I commend all of the USAirways CWA members for their courage and integrity in these unbelievably challenging times. We have to stop and examine the world we've made for ourselves when to work in the airline industry, what most of us have wanted to do for our entire lives, means to automatically concede to the reality that there will be no living wage, that hours required will jeopardize your health and safety, that you don't deserve affordable medical insurance, and that you are entitled to no benefits after you give your whole career and life to the industry. This trend MUST be reversed for all of us to have a future. The USAirways CWA members are the only airline workers who have definitively said that these concessions are too extreme, and ended the downward spiral that will stop any of us from having decent careers in the airline industry in the future.

For all of you 16-20 year old guys who buy into the whole angry right-wing American man thing, and call these people imbecile and stupid and greedy, know their resistance is the only ticket any of you have to a decent career in aviation. You have no clue what gift they're giving you.

The Eastern people took the bullet in the head from Lorenzo. The 50% wage cuts didn't become industry standard. Then 9 years after the strike I was hired by United to a job with good benefits, pay and working conditions. If the Eastern people had given in to Lorenzo, none of my generation of employees would ever have had the jobs we did. And for their courage all of us are grateful.

For all of you who don't work in the business and feel free to attack all airline workers, I suggest you get your head out of Fox News and go ask a few people who work the line what its like to live through this. Maybe some of your hateful vitriol will be tempered, and we can actually have a conversation.

UAL Bagsmasher

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:23 am

You people on this forum who are bum rapping the decision of US Airways workers make me sick. I don't see your pay getting cut to near poverty wages. You are probably sitting back fat dumb and happy in some office job somewhere getting paid to shuffle papers and laugh at your boss's lame jokes. You don't know the half of what these workers have gone through. The streeses of not being able to put food on the table. Not being able to make the mortgage or car payments. If you were in the US employees' shoes, which you ARE NOT, you would see differently. The numbers backing the strike don't lie. I back the CWA all the way!

gigneil

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:26 am

For all of you 16-20 year old guys who buy into the whole angry right-wing American man thing, and call these people imbecile and stupid and greedy, know their resistance is the only ticket any of you have to a decent career in aviation

I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I'm not 16 to 20.

I think they're idiots.

N

moman

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:28 am

I posted the same post in the SCAB forum:

Well I am not union and no friend of unions, but I believe there is a need for them in certain industries.

I wish the CSA's the best for US Airways. I tend to side with the union on this one because they are well aware of the consequences and are standing up for what they think is right. In this day and age, that is COMMENDABLE, if not even somewhat lunatic.

Aaron Tippin once said "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything".

It seems that the companies that are most anti-union need them the most.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

dc8jet

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:43 am

STUPID-STUPID-STUPID!!! But don't worry I hear ther'e hiring at Mc Donalds!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos