gkirk

Scotlands Fastest Growing Airport - Glasgow

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:23 pm

Found this article. Glasgow has now overtaken EDI as the fastest growing airport in Scotland.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5032392.html
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GLAGAZ

RE: Scotlands Fastest Growing Airport - Glasgow

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:39 pm

Yes, BAA released these a few days ago. Very good to see that all 3 BAA Scotland airports continue to do very well.

Glasgow's Winters are usually very poor compared to that of EDI but this year thanks to FlyGlobespan, Emirates and CSA to name a few GLA has managed to outperform EDI for 2 months running. Still a few rumours hanging around GLA as regards next Summer, these include:

DL - ATL
AA - BOS
NWA - BOS or DTW
PIA (as usual) to Lahore/Karachi/Islamabad

Confirmed are:

The massive Globespan expansion
EK upgrade to 773ER next October
New service to Hughada
Flybe - Liverpool

Thats all I can think of just now. Maybe SL can help us out with any new routes at EDI for next year. All I can think of is the new Hamburg service along with the Globespan expansion.
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:42 pm

Re: "The massive Globespan expansion"

Leasing another clapped out 737 combi are they ? Steady on ! That makes 2 !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

gkirk

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:46 pm

Steady, JGPH1A. They are getting a couple of 737-800s next year  Big grin

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:51 pm

What - new planes (gasp in horror) ! Wow. I'm probably being really unfair, but Globespan always looked like one of those dodgy paper carriers that flies other people's aircraft on an Icelandic or Turkish AOC, and folds over the weekend in a flurry of newspaper articles and complaints to Watchdog. I know they fly to NCE, but it's not very often (every other week, or it used to be) - to me, any airline offering bi-weekly schedules, is seriously suspect !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

GLAGAZ

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:57 pm

There is confusion the whether it is 2 or 3 738's they are getting, but for Summer 05 they will fly to:

Destinations from GLA:

Alicante - Daily from 2nd March 05
Barcelona - Daily from 27th March 05
Cyprus (Paphos) - Twice weekly from 3rd May 05
Faro - Daily from 1st May 05
Geneva - 6 times weekly 23rd Dec - 28th Feb
(Winter)
Gran Canaria - Twice weekly from 30th April
Lanzarote - Twice weekly from 1st May
Malaga - Daily from 16th March 05
Nice - Twice weekly from 29th May
Palma - Daily from 27th March 05
Paris Orly - Daily from 27th March 05
Prague - Daily
Tenerife - Daily from 1st May 05

Destinations from EDI:

Alicante
Barcelona
Faro
Geneva (Winter)
Madrid
Malaga
Nice
Palma
Rome

I think they plan to base 6 aircraft at GLA.

[Edited 2004-11-12 13:58:50]
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:11 pm

One wonders what is the value of a twice-weekly flight to anywhere. If they are an LCC, how is a twice weekly flight ever going to gain any kind of market penetration. Hardly worth bothering.

gkirk

Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:41 pm

JGPH1A: Yes, the frequencies they offer suggest that they are more of a charter airline than LCC, especially the longer fligths such as Tenerife, Cyprus etc.
Still, they could be Air Scotland  Wink/being sarcastic

GLAGAZ

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:20 pm

Another interesting point regarding GLA is this;

GLA recored a 66.8% increase in cargo for the financial year to date. Mostly thanks to Emirates.

ScottishLaddie

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:22 pm

Typical ET!  Big grin
Ah, but you see, EDI is still growing faster than GLA per year, which is what really matters.  Big grin

GLAGAZ, as you pointed out there is the HLX flight to Hamburg, starts beginning of December 3x weekly, but I can see it going 5x weekly- daily for summer. EDI also is getting Flybe to LPL. TCX are also 'doubling' capacity on their flights to YYZ next summer. Plus, all the Flyglobespan flights. Still don't think 2x weekly to MAD is going to be much good, but hopefully it'll be increased with time.
A few other things that AFAIK are still only rumours floating around are Germanwings to Stuttgart, bmi to MUC, and an upgrade of equipment on the CPH route from bmi ERJ145 to SAS Q400. The lastest rumour to appear is CO 2x daily to EDI next summer, or an EDI-EWR flight and a EDI-GLA-EWR flight!

gkirk

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:35 pm

Ah yes, EDI this EDI that  Insane  Laugh out loud
Rumours that AC are using 763 to GLA next summer, ORD to go year round, AA to introduce GLA-BOS using 757s, DL to ATL.

Remember, EDI doesnt have a competing airport, GLA does (Prestwick).

ScottishLaddie

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:37 pm

GLAGAZ asked.  Big grin

gkirk

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:38 pm

Ok, ok so he did. Let's not turn this into GLA vs EDI.
How about GLA & EDI vs PIK & ABZ. Tag team  Acting devilish

GLAGAZ

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:50 pm

As much as you like to bash the ET I could say the exact same for The Scotsman. Newspapers focus in on their local area and by exaggerating certain topics increase their sales. All I asked for was what new routes were coming to EDI, I didn't ask war another war  Smile

Anyone seen that ABZ is getting a new airline? I think it is called City Star but can't be too sure.

gkirk

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:55 pm

GLAGAZ, yes, allegedly competeing with one airline on one route, and indirectly competing with on another route  Big grin
Could it be ABZ-NCL (Competing with T3 whilst also indirectly competing with T3 on ABZ-MME)?

ScottishLaddie

Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:40 am

As much as you like to bash the ET I could say the exact same for The Scotsman

Not really, the ET has produced an article there, which as you say is totally biased to GLA, gloating I'd say.
The Scotsman also produced a report along the same lines, just with out twisting the facts, and IMO it's a much more 'neutral' article! Have a read if you want.

http://business.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=299&id=1301532004

Anyway, back to the aviation!  Big grin

nighthawk

Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:10 am

With regards to FlyGlobespan,

they are the aviation department of a well respected Scotish travel company (Globespan), which has been around for years, and is responsible for most of the Air Transat canada flights from the UK. Air Transat operates them on behalf of Globespan. When Globespan announced the establishment of the airline a few years ago, there was little doubt in scotland it would be a success. The company has plenty experience and knows what they are doing.

The fact that the airline is backed by a travel agent seems to be the reason why most destinations are only a few flights a day. The idea was to offer a slightly customiseable package holiday, rather than just loco flights. If you book through the website it trys to persuade you to book a hotel at the same time...

When FlyGlobespan launched they only had 2 aircraft, and were trying to operate to all the spanish destinations from EDI/GLA, another reason why they only offered a few rotations a week. Saves putting all the eggs in one basket, which seems to have worked out nicely. They are now expanding rapidly and buying their own fleet.

Air Scotland on the other hand was expected to flop when they launched, and many are still surprised they are flying today. They started at the same time as FlyGlobespan, and since then have changed the company that operates their flights 4 times! (Electra, Air Holland, Maersk and Greece Airways). They have announced little to no expansion, and the fleet now consists of a single 757, compared to the 2 they launched with....

Just to clear things up Big grin

aa777jr

Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:15 am

My CFI is a AA Captain and absolutely loves flying into GLA. I believe it's still seasonal at AA, and he always makes sure the scheduler gives him that flight.

AA777jr
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

GLAGAZ

Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:30 am

Can he also make sure it goes year round?  Big grin

gustyorange

Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:10 am

Would be really nice if he visited us from BOS as well Big grin

gkirk

Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:16 am

ScottishLaddie, the Scotsman is indeed EDI biased

aa777jr

Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:21 am

GLAGAZ,

He also told me there is a city north of GLA about an hour I think on a train that he always spends his 22 hr layovers at. He said if I ever make it over there I should visit it.

Wish AA would make GLA a year round destination. What is the profit and load factor for their ORD-GLA flight on the 763?

AA777jr
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

GLAGAZ

Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:19 am

Not sure about profit but load factors are always around 90%. Can't really think what city he is talking about. Perhaps Perth or Dundee.